New FFB?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Munty, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've just seen a chap on the 'tube saying there's a new FFB model for RaceRoom coming, that somehow he's already testing??

If so, I can't bloomin wait, and how can I get it for testing?

Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    You can't. S3 have beta testers, same as most other developers, and they're the guys (and gals?) that have been running the new FFB in private to make sure it's ready for public consumption. Just be patient and wait for the official release.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
  4. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's just because of the unusual way I have to use the wheel I 'might' have some valuable input. Who knows.

Good to know it's coming though. I actually think the FFB in RR is already better than most, it gives more information than iRacing which is horrible, AutoMobilista which is really flat, Asseto which is again really flat, I haven't been able to get RF2 working. The only thing I've found missing in RR is road noise so every circuit feels bowling lane smooth, or you turn the minimum right up and you get buffeted far too much in a straight line. Anyway....

5. Wayne Hutchison

Wayne Hutchison New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Expect the new FFB to be a lot more like iRacing. The RRE devs admit that the current FFB is not even close to realistic or accurate - if the changes are anything like explained in the dev notes it'll be so different you might think it's "horrible" all of a sudden :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I agree with almost everything that you said. AMS1, AMS2, AC and ACC have really good road/ surface/ texture bumps. RR doesn't have any unless you are turning corners then you feel something. As for the iRacing, mix feelings, road surface not too bad at all and everything else is lifeless if you ask me.

7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Ill be honest , ive always had bumps , suspension lifts etc in my ffb , what wasnt there was what id call the harmonic resonance vibration coming through from the noise created by the tyres touching the road surface
    Other than that i have always thought our ffb is good , informative and immersive

Andi

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    The best FFB is the one that takes the best out of every other sim and then it lets you choose whatever you like. Easier said than done. For instance, in RR I would like to see road bumps as good as in AMS2, the steering friction from iRacing, Tire slip or friction from ACC, engine vibe, gear shift effect and curb effects should stay as is. RR actually have a pretty good tyre slip effects that are felt when turning corners. I trust it will be great.

9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    iRacing FFB is like a dead fish to me. Only when crashing, that hands hurts with DD1.

I now have bad feelings when someone says: FFB gets like iRacing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. I also do not want random rumbling, knocking, or gear-grinding when I drive down a relatively flat straight. The steering wheel in real cars doesn't do that unless the suspension or steering arm is broken (rallying would be impossible if it did). This is the first FFB "effect" I turn off or tone down whenever possible.

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    If you try ams2 you will see how good it is. Its brilliant. This is what I would like to see in RR. Hence that I am using DD OSW

12. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I like the custom FFB in AMS2 as well, although I think R3E does a better job communicating load transfer (something that even the custom FFB builders haven't managed in AMS2). But it is smooth and nice. Contrast that to something like AC, where my wheel is constantly rattling and knocking even when nothing is going on with the road, unless I damp the signal down to oblivion. Terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I'll just chime in a tiny bit here, the most important advice is probably to be patient until you can get your hands on the new FFB and test it for yourself :)

All we can say is that we did not aim for any particular feeling or try to make it close to another sim. We simply implemented the proper equations to recreate the exact steering torque you would feel in a real car with the same tires/suspension/steering geometry. After doing that we really couldn't have been happier with the resulting feeling of the 'pure steering forces', nothing needed tuning or changing. On top of that we have added some optional immersion effects for the people that enjoy those.

Which other sims you find it closest to will be up to you to decide once you get your hands on it, I think it stands on its own very well as the new feeling of RR :)

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  14. Vantskruv

Vantskruv Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I hope though the team can tune the different type of steering wheels they have in order, I guess the feeling between every type of steering-wheel would differ, and it would good to make recommended settings for each wheel so they match up.
    Also some wheels, as SimuCube 2, has some settings outside in its own program, so that may be another problem.

15. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    This has been a major factor in the development, we wanted to make it much less complicated than before and it really will be very simple to set up on any wheel. Some may have spotted the 'FFB Linearity' setting in the sneak peek at the FFB menu in Chris Haye's CSL DD video, that setting is really the key to fit the FFB to any wheel. There will be a 2021 FFB Guide for the release ofcourse, with explanations/suggestions for the settings and suggestions for external wheel driver settings as well.

edit: it was in Chris' replay system video not the CSL DD video, my bad!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  16. bksz

bksz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Any rough ETA?

Or am I asking too much.

Edit: nvm, ive just read the other topic

June

17. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Yes June. I am guessing between the 17th and 24th. No official date confirmed just my guess.