How much would you be willing to pay to help fund a DX12/Vulcan Graphical upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Feb 13, 2022.

Tags:
?

If accountability would be in place, how much would you invest to have a graphical upgrade?

1. $5

2.7%
  2. $15

13.5%
  3. $25

12.2%
  4. $50

24.3%
  5. $100

9.5%
  6. $0

37.8%
  1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    (I'm not related or paid by RRE or any of its parent companies, affiliates or subsidiaries)

RRE has a lot of good things going for it, sounds are the best in the business, FFB/Physics are now also a top contender, track selections are the best, online ranking is coming along well...

It makes we wonder if people would be willing to pay to hire a game engine engineer to upgrade current engine or use the funds to license an engine...

For me, I'd be willing to setup a publicly funded effort and pay $50 or $100 and treat it like a new DLC give RRE a boost to continue its effort to fight for a place on the podium of Racing Sims.

2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Ive never been a graphics guy and purely visually speaking theres nothing id consider in need of an improvement. I would however love to be able to drive at night so as long as the rest of the game isnt negatively affected id probably be willing to pay something like 15 bucks

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Seriously, another thread about game engine upgrade?
    Dont treat r3e like an indie game, its part of KW family. Go talk to KW, if you want money pumped into r3e. If you wanna invest in r3e, then buy content or vrp

• Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  4. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I own all the content already. Sorry for trying to make RRE a better product. I guess I'll move on to AMS2.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    theres no limit to how much vrp u can buy

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I would be willing to pay for a graphical upgrade, but mostly because it will very likely bring a lot of attention and new players to the game. Improvement of my own experience would only be a side benefit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    VR-friendly or VR-non- friendly? I do not care for DX12 engines if it kills the good framerates I have in VR now.

In racing titles, VR now is a decisive criterion for me. Thats why I even phased out my beloved ACC after I had to switch from a Rift to a G2 (the Rift got damage). While AC classics and Raceroom dealt well with the new headset without me needing to replace the gfx board (look at those horrifying prices...) ACC not onyl stutters, but is blurry as hell - worse than in the Rift with much lower resolution. Ridiculous. Ma ynot be DX, but U4E, but the result is the same.

I do not want to see that happening with Raceroom.

Returnign to monitor racing is impossible for me. Once VR racing, always VR racing. There is no way going back.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    No need to cut your nose off to spite your face!

9. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    For example, ACC in VR doesn't look as good as R3E. In that regard an engine update is not needed. I rather would like to see better multicore utilisation. This also helps to make a more effective use of the GPU.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    That's more an issue with ACC, not any indication of Raceroom looking particularily good in VR. ACC is infamous for looking and working pretty bad in VR.

11. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I'm not interested in VR and never will.
    A better performance on more than 1 (one) cpu- kernal i would give 100 Euro directly!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I do not need a GFX update. It is fine racer as it is. Runs very smoothly on my system. :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz
    Ha,Ha,Hi,Hi,Ho

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Agree, but my point is: DX11/12 doesn't mean improvement on that regard. A lot have to do with quality coding vs lazy coding. And it's not an issue exclusive for sim games, but games in general.

15. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I think the core engine of RRE is to “old” to easily switch to DX12/vulcan. I can imagine this would mean they have to rewrite the core.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Stelcio

Stelcio Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Let's not assume bad execution straight away. I'm not a VR user, but, AFAIK, AMS2 and original AC look and work fine in VR.

And then DX11/12 still most likely means improvement in non-VR visuals and performance. And this in turn will bring in many otherwise unconvinced players. So even if VR itself would not turn out better, you'd have more people to race with.

So saying the game looks good in VR so it doesn't need DX11/12 in that regard is a bit shortsighted in my opinion. This is a multiplayer platform, it needs mass appeal and good visuals are just that, not just better experience for us, people who are already here.

17. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Seems impossible to port the whole software to another DX version without ruin something in the core,when it only runs on 1 CPU core.They can built a complete new game then.As it is new features can not be implemented and running well.See time multipler,Otterhud etc..I can't run these things anymore.You can say "buy a better CPU",but this isn't it worth for only one sim,that runs one core.:)
    Im for complete rewrite on another engine.But wich is not demanding and looks and runs well on most modern machines? ISI,no please,Unreal,i have my doubt.So...dunno

18. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What's wrong with it?

19. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Anyway, both Raceroom and rFactor 2 are examples that you can use gMotor2 physics engine with a different or updated renderer. So "moving to a new engine" doesn't automatically means physics engine will be new as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Outdated.

• Agree Agree x 1