Unable to join ranked server

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Gwenkhan94, Jan 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Oh I just saw in another thread someone had similiar connection problem and J-F asked him to ping one of Raceroome adresses.
    Here is my pingeling :D

PingRaceroom.png

2. simbro

simbro New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    @DonaldD
    Makes a pleasant change to have someone who takes his problems with humour and is not acting as though Armageddon has arrived! Makes me want to help even more…
    The ping results appear normal to me…
    Probably a silly question but, seeing that you have little to lose, have you tried uninstalling Raceroom completely from Steam and then re-installing from scratch? Maybe your update went wrong…
    At the very worst you would lose your laptime history and setups but I assume there must be a way of backing up this data beforehand… (documents folder maybe?)
    …just want to help but am really clutching at straws! You‘ve probably done this already!

3. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hehe thank you @simbro
    But I would probably act a bit more irritated if Raceroom was my only go-to racing game.
    But I still miss it.
    But if you read back on one of my former posts here then Im absolutely not a guy who want to reinstall anything or even make huge changes to try to sidestep a problem I dont think is caused by something I or my Windows install (or my net provider) has changed/done.
    And if you check this other failed connection thread underneath then you will find a guy who have done ANYTHING possible on his side.
    And still have this problem.
    The only difference is that now he probably dont fully understand what state his Raceroom or maybe some other installs on his system is in.
    Thats the reason I absolutely dont want to change anything in blinds (= changing just to see if it alters something).:rolleyes:
    https://forum.kw-studios.com/index.php?threads/content-server-connection-error-10054.18781/

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Your not getting a content error ,
    Your getting a connection handshake error
    I dont want to come across as rude but ...

I do admit your calm , but at the same time you wont try anything to diagnose/ resolve it

You just type more stuff about you dont think its on your side , and as there is just this complaint and the logs point to a failed handshake .. no one else i can find is having this issue at this moment or since the last update
    So
    To diagnose
    It be really nice if you could try a vpn
    That way any changes your isp have made would be flagged by you being able to connect ..
    If no connection , that helps everyone , by pointing elsewhere

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  5. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thank you.
    Really helpfull.
    So my following posts wasnt examples of diagnose tryings from my side?
    #9 #11 #13 #16 #18 #21

At least I understand they were not by your definition.
    Thats OK with me.

And as I said before this is not the end of the world - so lets stop this acusing each other for not wanting to solve the problem.

DonaldD

6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    How long do updates take? I don't notice them all that often, but when I do they take like a few hours when the game servers are down for maintenance. Is that correct or it's not always like that?

Yes, your setups, game settings, replays are stored in Documents\My games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience

To me it feels like each time you bring a piece of information, you also write a couple of sentences how it's not on your side and Raceroom should fix it. It feels pretty annoying and it definitely doesn't help solve the issue.

7. simbro

simbro New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree that it is probably not a content error as such but could it be that during the update process some sort of config file related to the handshake got corrupted on the client side?
    That was why I suggested uninstalling everything client-side to start again with non-corrupted client data...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spidybite

Spidybite New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Maybe this has been tried already, but if not...
    Within Steam:
    ⦁ Right-click RaceRoom -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of game files

I had an issue a number of months ago. I left a RaceRoom update running & when I returned a few hours later my machine had crashed at some point. RaceRoom would not launch, displaying some error of no real importance here.

Quick comparison of folder listing from before & after running the verify task, there were differences.
    In my case, the corruption prevented startup.
    Maybe there are other files which are invoked when joining servers, resulting in handshake/other error?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  9. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I admit it must be terrible to read my aggressive comments instead of humble comments that take full responsibility for this error. And I also admit that I not as an automatic reflex conclude that this problem is ofcourse caused by something on my side.
    I therefore apologize for following agressive "pingeling" comment.
    It was unnessesary :(
    ---
    On a more serious level then I asked Steam to verify files (pic).
    And conserning if anything could go wrong while updating then I allways watch when Raceroom are updating (pic).

Attached Files:

10. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Your clownery stops you from realising that even if it's on the server side, it's impossible for them to check absolutely everything and check if it's working properly with every possible client. And since it's not a wide-spread problem, you're basically the only one who can provide valuable info that can help pinpoint the issue. What do you want, a working game or just a place to write passive-aggressive nonsense?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Thread closed

Andi

12. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Hmm then I would start looking into software you might be running, maybe the new executable you received in the update through steam got flagged by something and blocked?

You know like that pop up the first time an application tries to connect to the internet and you have to allow it, maybe that one got denied?

If you have another computer under the same router, it would be interesting to try installing raceroom on that one to check if it even starts. If it does then you know the issue is somewhere on your gaming machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.