What am I doing wrong :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oops01, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,
    Please don't flame me it's a serious question, now I know I'm never going to be the best sim racer in the world and I'm indeed not after that, but I would like to be able to compete at least :(
    In a normal ranked multi-player field of say 20, I would expect to finish in around 15 and indeed that's where I have been finishing lately give or take the odd incident lol
    But I have noticed that even on the multi-player even on the straights most if not everyone is catching me at a rate of knots, I only usually finish in and around 15th because of the mistakes of others lol but surely this should not happen as the cars are identical, especially on the straight.
    So I thought that would try and do some practicing with the AI, so I set the AI to 100% and conditions set the same, with the difficulty set the same as multi-player at get real, but it's the very same the AI cars are also catching and passing me down the straight, and even on the turns they are driving around the outside of me :)
    My rig is probably not the best now as it's quite old I'm using the Fanatec CSL Elite Ps4 base with the round rim that came with the base and I have the F1 Esports v2 wheel, my pedals are the CSL Elite v1, both the base and the pedals plugged directly into the pc via USB
    I was looking at new pedals but I'm thinking what is the point if even the AI is driving past me ‍♀️
    Any and all advice would be great, Please ‍♂️

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    ai isnt balanced at the moment
    so dont trust them

Andi

3. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Andy at least that makes me feel a little better lol
    I'm soooo close to dishing out £500 for a half-decent set of two pedal pedals but I'm a little worried that I might just be wasting my money

4. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    look at my wheel and pedals in my signature,,, they are older than yours

Andi

5. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Check pedal inputs

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Record a lap with your inputs visible and post here. Maybe someone can give you an advice on what to focus on.

7. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Apart from making sure your throttle goes to 100%, the biggest aspect of people catching you on a straight will be difference in the way you exit the preceding turn. If they are able to do a good exit without scrubbing too much speed, they will be able to accelerate quicker and unless it's a very long straight, reach the higher speed as well.

Another factor could be setup (low downforce tends to be bit of a meta in multiplayer simracing), and also check whether the cars you are racing don't have push to pass or DRS functionality others might be using.

Finally, there can also be a small impact of slipstream helping other catch up. But I think most of the difference comes from the way you exit the preceding corner.

Don't pay much attention to AI, they are pretty random and don't seem to be subjected to same constraints as a player, so you can see them going impossibly fast somewhere, just to slow down massively for no reason somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Pedal inputs are fine, working perfectly

9. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm racing the Tatuus so there are no set-ups, and these guys seem to come from a long way back on the straight to catch me and pass me, and no push to pass or DRS so how is this happening, obviously this happens, I know that some racers are just really good but I have been racing too long to know that something is not right, some of the guys that catch me on the straights I can catch back up to in the corners and I'm actually faster but again once it comes to the straights they just leave me in their wake. ?
    I will try and look into capturing a video to show what I mean.
    Just have to figure out how to do it lol

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Post a screenshot of your advanced control settings so we can see what is going on with throttle sensitivity, deadzone, etc etc.Also post your main setup screenshot to see what steering lock you are using. Using a lot more lock than necesssary will make the car slower.

Before throwing money at hardware you should create a new control profile and use a keyboard just to see whether the issue is still there or not.

11. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this some really good advice there and a bit to think about, here are my steering and pedal inputs on the Fanatec software as you can see I use an overall steering lock of 600degrees (300 on each side) the throttle matches exactly the software
    I might try driving with an x box controller to see if that makes any difference, and let you know
    Thanks again.

Attached Files:

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Thanks but it´s the ingame values that are going to solve the issue, I think. If you go to control advanced settings and take a grab of everything there (steering sensitivity, throttle, deadzone, etc etc and also tell us what steering lock value you are using on the car setup menu screen e.g. 24 degrees. The first thing I´d do is reduce that to the minimum needed to get the car round the tightest corner on full lock and see if that helps.

13. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Here are the ingame values, hope this helps ‍♂️

Attached Files:

14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. The values look ok/default but I´d suggest taking the steering lock down as much as possible and/or increasing the degree of rotation to make the steering less direct that way inputs will have less effect and therefore less scrub/resistance. Try them separately and also do a comparison with a keyboard in single player to see if your top speed is different. Maybe try a track with longer straights too like raceroom bridge.

15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    can you go into settings /controls/keybinds
    in the search bar type input meter
    bind a key
    in game press the key and make sure that all of your inputs are maxing out
    as sometimes for an unknown reason in the fana software it says 100 but in game it isn't
    if this is the case ; rebind the throttle pedal and lower the upper dead zone to say 90%
    also check that your brake isnt dragging or if you have one; that a bit of clutch isn't being applied.
    if it is the case ; rebind the pedals
    for the brake ; if you tend to rest your foot on the pedal do so ; then use the lower dead zone to remove that red line that you can see on the advanced page in controls
    as for the clutch set a few percent just in case in the lower dead zone

hope that helps

Andi

16. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks guys, so helpful and I appreciate all the help, @Andi Goodwin I already do with the break as I do tend to rest my foot on the brake a little ‍:) so I set a dead zone of 7% but this is all great advice I will definitely have a look for the input meter.

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    That´s why my first tip is to go to a digital control device to see how that works, if it is better then we can narrow it down to wheel and pedal settings and not to the driver or car setup!

18. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I did try yesterday with an Xbox Jopypad although I did struggle to control the car with it, the top speed did seem around the same :( which kinda points to it being me lol, just funny that everyone seems to be able to catch me on the straights.

19. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    A straight is the most common place fast players can ever catch up to slow players, because they get an advantage from superior corner exit, plus a bit of slipstream to make a pass. If your controls work ok (which they seem to), focus on the way you take corners, try to keep it tidy, use as much road as you can, maintain decent speed throughout the corner and go back on the throttle quickly.

20. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    And post your lap with inputs if it's possible to record :D That way, people can give better advice than just guessing what might be wrong.

If you use Geforce Experience, use Shadowplay feature to record the game, it's very easy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1