Released 28/02/2017 RaceRoom has been updated

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Sonat Ozturk, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    @Jason D
    You can use the Oculus Tray Tool to show FPS within the Rift.

2. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone else getting very long loading times in game?

For example, hitting restart after pausing the race takes ages to happen. Thought the game had frozen initially until I realised that the game was still accessing the hard drive.

Specs: Windows 8.1. Up to date Windows and graphics drivers (GTX 970m). Defragged hard drive. Good, fast internet connection. No problems previously.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks.

3. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I was getting one day very long freezes when restarting or ending races. Then it stopped happening. Then started again. Unclear.

4. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    OK. It appears I was mistaken about my Windows updates. On running the update checker manually, there were still a number of updates outstanding and after updating Windows again the problem I described above has been solved.

My advice to anyone else experiencing this problem would therefore be to try running your update checker, even if you have your Windows updates set to auto. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Yes, those Windows updates are annoying. But for me the whole game is lagging :'(
    He tries everyday to update my Windows 10 to 1607 and everyday he fails. (and he downloaded 62GB in the last 30 days!!)

6. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Sad to report that the problem has returned in spite of the Windows update. Things seemed fine for a while, but now the loading delays have returned. :(

Not sure where to go from here. Maybe it was the restart associated with the updates that provided the temporary fix.

As others are also having this problem, hopefully the Devs will look into it.

7. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Believe I have finally tracked down the problem.

Our PC has access to a local network hard drive. It appears that when R3E needs to access the hard drive, the computer also accesses the network drive which causes a delay in the response.
    Since disconnecting the network drive, the delays no longer happen.

Gonna continue to test before getting too excited though as I thought it was solved once before! :)

8. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    What do you mean by connected? It's connected with a custom letter like 'Z:/' ?

9. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Yes, via a LAN network, although I suppose it's possible that a USB connected drive might also have the same issues.

10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Instead of connecting it as a network drive with a drive letter you should rather try to connect it as only a fixed network address. This can also be made a permanent address and can be accessed via Windows file explorer the same way as a network drive but it is mostly not accessed by default by Windows and doesn't cause any delays or freezing of file operations, even in case the share is not even there at all.

For example, I have a NAS at home and the share on it is configured on my laptop as a network address. When I'm away from home, so the share is not even there, this does neither delay the Windows startup (which would be the case with a network drive because Windows deliberately searches it on startup), nor does it delay or freeze any file operations during Windows use. Windows just doesn't care if it is physically present or not until you click on it to access it. In this case Windows will look for it and inform you that it is not there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, Arthur.

Unfortunately I've only been able to find instructions on how to create a Network Drive so far.

Could you possibly point me to instructions on how to create a Network Address?

Thanks.

12. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I don't know an instruction but I can show you screenshots from my Windows. It's in german but maybe you can find the stuff on your side by analogy.

First you just open the Windows explorer and make a rightclick on "Computer" or "This PC" (whatever is the english name for the highest level object):

network_address_01.jpg

Or you just klick on the button in the ribbons on top after chosing "Computer" or "This PC" (see red markers).

After that you just have to klick your way through the process:

network_address_02.jpg

network_address_03.jpg

At this point you need insert the address of the share just the same way as would do for a network drive. If you're not sure click on "show examples" to see possible syntax examples:

network_address_04.jpg

Unfortunately I can't go further from this point at the moment as I'm away from home and don't have a share to connect to. And if I enter a dummy like in my screenshot the wizard won't continue because at this point it checks for its existance.

But from my memory all you need to do further is to give the network address a name, which can be about anything. I like to name it with single letters to make them look like network drives a little bit (maybe you saw the "Y")... ;-)

Hope this helps...

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Arthur,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to explain this for me so well.

I'll get started on it this evening.

Cheers. :)

14. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to call back in with a confirmation of success and a final thank you to Arthur.

Arthur's suggestion worked and now we can have our external hard drive accessible to all PCs on the network without causing delays in game.

Our final solution was slightly different though, once I realised that our router had a USB connection available for network data storage. I connected our network drive through that, (which also creates a fixed network address which is not accessed routinely by Windows) and all is well again. :)