A Little Bling For My Race Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bailey Lagstrum, Nov 24, 2015.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    That's an awesome setup and totally agree! At least half the fun of this hobby is setting up and improving such a cool rig. That's one thing that has me questioning ever going to the Rift. With a monitor setup, I require more toys strapped all over the place!

2. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Lol, toys toys toys!
    It does make me feel like a kid, I still remember a "car" i made from a refrigerator or wash machine box. Had a little seat from a boat and I always wanted buttons on the dash.
    Dad was an engineer and always had do-dad's around his shop I could pillage. :)

If my rig weren't the elephant in our living room I'd definitely want to add some things, but as is - I've already got a van squeezed into "compact cars only" spot. Haha

Sim racing seems to fill many hobby niches for me... computers and tweaking, Photoshop/livery making, data nerd stuff/ telemetry (motec), rig building /creativity, the actual driving / competition and so on.
    I think that's why it never got old to me, I could go in so many directions it would be hard to burn out.

But I had tons of fun when it was just me the PS1/GT1, a wheel, a coffee table and a sore back. :) pretty bad ergonomics in those days.
    B

• Like Like x 1
  3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    @Bailey Lagstrum I just came from have my rig in the dining room so I can relate. Could not do much in there even though my wife was a fairly good sport. We moved, and now I have my own dedicated space out of sight for visitors, so all bets are off! For example, I'm currently contemplating the best way to erect a roof for my rig :). Then comes the dashboard from the junkyard!

4. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    @ElNino I've seen some very cool rollcage and netting setups before, I can see how feeling somewhat enclosed would be nice for immersion. Oh and (don't know your age) but I think Pole Position in the arcade had the full size + roof version and I thought that was cool back then, you kind of climbed in.

If I could hide them when friends came over I might have added a seat belt. :p
    Drawing the line at wearing a helmet though. Lol

And I repeat... toys toys toys! :)

PS You may already do the same thing but I got in the habit long ago of saving picks of rigs and real cockpits when I see something cool. I did consider using a real dash at one time but just couldn't do what I wanted and keep a certain layout.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with. :)
    B

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yes i do remember pole position! I was young but loved that stuff. Once "Race Drivin'" came out with the manual clutch gearbox and super stunt track, that was the only arcade game that ever got my quarters. We only had the one screen version at my arcade but it was great.

I failed to even think about the connection between those days and my current sim racing hobby until now...thanks for jogging the memory!

6. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Same here. Was thinking PVC tubing and black cloth with velcro...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Captain Zero

Captain Zero Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Ive thought of VR but I don't want anyone sneaking up on me while I was playing; I'd probably jump right out of my shorts! ...besides I agree with you, not being able to see my buttons might be disconcerting along with other things.
    I'll keep in touch :)

• Agree Agree x 1