AI car damage and penalties

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BreadedVirus, May 6, 2020.

1. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Does the AI get any car damage to where they need to pit and do they get penalties for corner cutting etc?

Not seen any of the above as of yet..

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. the_greeze

the_greeze Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    +1

They definitely need corner cutting penalties! For example, racing at Hockenheim on the final turn nine times out of ten the car behind has all four wheels over the curb.

Agreed that this needs looking at. Be nice to clarify AI damage too as I have yet to see any AI car in the pitlane during a race.

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    ai do get damage
    ai dont serve cut penalties
    Andi

4. the_greeze

the_greeze Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply Andi. :)

Do the AI pit for repairs? I assume they would but haven't seen it yet.
    As for corner cutting, is this something that could be addressed? Either train them not to (or at least, not as often!) or give them a slowdown???

5. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    just turn the penalties off for you ; its a level playing field then

Andi

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Do the AI pit for repairs? I assume they would but haven't seen it yet.
    As for corner cutting, is this something that could be addressed? Either train them not to (or at least, not as often!) or give them a slowdown???[/QUOTE]
    The best thing is to report the track + class + difficulty and corner where you experienced this. Giving AI slowdowns would only ruin your race more, as the majority of the AI field would be getting slowdowns regulary. I personally have slowdowns disabled when racing AI, as I see no point in it. I don't abuse track limits, and AI is unaffected. ;)

7. the_greeze

the_greeze Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I notice this most at Hockenheim (final turn), AI level is 102 (but have seen the same behaviour at lower settings), car class is GT3.

I hear what you're both saying about turning off penalties but I do try to keep as many 'real-world' settings enabled as possible and prefer to race clean. I don't see how turning penalties off would solve the problem; they'll still cut, whether I abuse track limits or not.

Surely a better fix is to train them not to do it so regularly and issue a penalty accordingly? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mid Night

Mid Night Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Just had a race withe the Wtcc 2013. And one AI drove into the back of the leading car at the final turn of Indianapolis. After that the car entered the pits and joined the race again one lap down. Was really cool

So yes, AI have to pit for repairjobs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ALEXANDRE FERREIRA BAUER

ALEXANDRE FERREIRA BAUER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AI often goes off the track, what annoys me isn't it don't get a penalty, but that it gets the same grip outside the track as in the track, no matter if it is gravel, grass, or sand. For example, in S curves of Suzuka, AI is too much fast for the normal pace there( at 100%), and makes overtakes over the grass 4 wheels outside the track normally, something impossible to do. The same grip of the track and no dirt tires for AI.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Possibly the most condescending answer ever, here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    no it wasnt and it wasnt meant that way

there are various issues with getting the ai to serve penalties , and one that is in game that causes massive issues , this is why its better to just turn them off but hey lets go through them

when overtaking or in tight squeezes ai's avoidance code cuts in to say it needs to be x distance away , thus cut tracks happen , .....no fix possibility ; its as good as we can get it
    cut track equals slow down .... if ai slows ; car behind slows ; avoidance kicks in generally causes a yellow... not in game

this one is
    overtaking during a yellow .... ai overtakes a car that it shouldnt have , thus trys to give place back .... this one is a nightmare , the ai over takes a car that overtakes a car then is overtaken by a car that shouldnt have , they all trying to give the place back and end up driving very slowly until they end up with drive through penalties

so all of these actually ruin racing , thats why suggest running with visual flags only and no penalties

Andi

• Like Like x 2
  12. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    AFAIK no major sim hand corner cutting penalties for ai. Mainly because of the reasons mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
  13. the_greeze

the_greeze Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time to explain the issues behind it Andi.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Now that's an answer, thank you

Last edited: May 8, 2020