AI drives me mad...see you in a few months

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PECHOUX, Apr 30, 2016.

1. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Wonder if it makes sense to collect good/bad track/class/pct combos. There is a lot of variability in the content, so people could race very different settings.

AI is really hard, it will be a running target forever. But as @James Cook says we will see ups and downs.

Playing AMS/GSCE it's generally quite good, but I had races with a certain version where every lap some f1 cars was spinning in the chicane of one track... So bad things can happen. Ideally it gets isolated and improved quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    The lack of a good Ai and the lack of multiplayer servers with people and multiplayer rules keeps pushing me to iRacing to be honest.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    There are like 10x more people online now than 6 months ago.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I guess i'm always lucky then, I never really have any major issues with games.

I did a race against AI yesterday and it was close racing almost the whole race untill I got too greedy and spinned out. AI never hits me off. Yeah, sometimes there's a little lovetap in my side or on the butt but they never spin me..

Because I started playing multiplayer, I attract racers! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    If noticed this too. What i do like a lot (on adaptive AI), is that they tend to take different lines through corners so it doesn't seem like the usual bot procession you see in most games.They also like to battle among each other so it sure does look the part from an outsiders perspective. Only on corner entry or other situations were the player slows down they should be aware of that better so they don't hit you from the back braking too late.

Improving that would make it pretty much perfect IMO.

6. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I had these problems before the last patch and I had them often before I learned how to brake properly. For me this is no real issue any more because the crash kid behaviour I experienced months ago has defintively been reduced drastically. Though, the AI could be a little more respectful in certain situations. It is okay when they crash me from behind when I am braking far too early and at a wrong place, but sometimes the AI crashes me when it would be easy to avoid that and where they could easily just pass by leaving their line a bit. But at the current level I am now enjoying races against AI, most of the time starting and racing midpacks, with a gamepad. When it becomes a mess I know what was MY fault in most situations.

7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Yes, jumped on this evening from around 8pm 5+ servers with 20 or more players then quite a few high teen down to single figures, must of been well over 200 players, compared to November when i first got this game max i saw was about 50, huge improvement and as it stands is only going to get better im sure, well hoping!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes... this is what I had before learning to drive a proper race. Does that occur on a difficulty where you are competitive? And does it occur on every track? I know this late braking well but I did not expierence it for a long time now, so I thought it was my improvement in braking.

So, if this is a per track issue, the AI would be fine and should be optimised on certain tracks. I will adapt my AI on Spa and test if it occurs for me there. If this is the case and it just happens on some tracks, the problem is different from a complete messed up AI and the devs don' have to 'rebuild' the current AI completely.

Edit: For my testing, what car/class is affected?

10. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I think on WTCC this was most annoying, also affects GT3. This happens on pretty much every corner after long straight with heavy breaking - Spa, Hockenheim, Paul Ricard before chicane, Monza T1.

They can brake harder and later, but they also enter corner at lower speed.

I mostly use AI setting at 110-120

11. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Okay. I got that. I did now four ten minute races with adaptive AI at Spa and the braking in this hard corners was like you said. This could be corrected somehow... but it did not mess up any of my four races (24 cars, starting at 12, standing start).

12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Im not yet at the point where I can blame things on the AI. Usually it's me that's the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    After reading many posts regarding the AI and according to my own expierence, enjoying the AI seems to be aquestion of racing skills and a proper matching AI difficulty level. If the AI races much faster than a player, braking spots are not matching and crashes while braking into corners occur from behind, if the AI drives significantly slower than a player, braking spots are not matching and crashes occur in the players front while braking into corners. So, in the current state, I suggest using the adaptive AI and learning a halfway proper racing line. Furthermore, as I also read many times, it will be helpful to treat the AI cars as you would treat a human opponent, like someone you know personally. The AI may still not be perfect at all but it improved drastically with the last patches.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  14. Mz Baker

Mz Baker Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I agree with some of this but for me the AI are not really a problem in braking spots or corners.
    Yet I still see they are not right.
    I use Adaptive Ai and lap times are close, I am not having problems with braking zones or corners but going side by side down the straight there is often problems, especially if I am not a full car length in front well before the next turn in.

Often it is almost like the AI is trying to switch to the inside to do a block not knowing I have been there for the last few seconds and am already nearly a car length in front.

I still have fun with the AI, I have adapted to them : ) I give way more space then I ever need to for any real players, I only pass on straights way outside the racing line and I don't use late braking into the inside of corner to pass and I will never go side by side into corners.
    By adapting to them in this way I have almost no problem with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 2, 2016