Resolved Blank/Black screen after "Go race" is selected

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by CaseyBoomer, Jul 9, 2022.

1. CaseyBoomer

CaseyBoomer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    RRE worked fine until the last week or so. Now, when I bring up RRE, all the screens/menus are good until I go down the chain:
    Single player>Practice>Go race.
    I can change options, view available multiplayer races... basically everything except play the game.
    The expected track pit scene flashes momentarily then the screen goes black. I can still hear audio but no mouse input works, ESC does not work. I can alt+tab to Steam and stop the game.
    I have only 1 screen running at 2560x1440.
    I have tried other monitors as well as multiple monitors and problem still occurs.
    I turned on/off the Vsync option to no avail.
    I have uninstalled/re-installed the game through Steam [a 4+ hour effort due to slow rural Internet connection].
    I have verified the install via Steam and it shows as OK.
    I opened up the PC case and confirmed that video card [Nvidia GTX 1080 TI] was firmly seated.
    All other sim games run fine [Automobilista, Assetto Corsa, ACC, Project Cars 2] as do non-sim games like Civilization 6 & PGA Tour 2K21.
    All other software runs fine [e.g. Firefox, Steam].
    I have searched the Internet for things to try.
    I am at my wits end.
    Any suggestions for things to try?

When I can play Raceroom, I have a lot of fun and I would like to get it working again. Thankfully, the other racing sim games work fine.

2. CaseyBoomer

CaseyBoomer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just tried to go into multiplayer and select a race to join. I got the same black/blank screen after selecting a race and then clicking on "Go race".

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried renaming the R3E folder in your Documents?
    Documents\My games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\

Is there any FPS/performance monitor software running like Afterburner/RTSS?

4. CaseyBoomer

CaseyBoomer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    • I checked the R3E folder in my Documents and the name matches exactly what you show above.
    • I don't play any FPS games. I checked the Task Manager and did not see Afterburner or RTSS listed.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'm willing to try anything non-distructive. I thought doing an uninstall and new download/install would fix things but no such luck.

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What I mean is rename this folder, the game won't find it and will create a new one, with all the default options. Maybe this will solve the problem, in case something broken in the settings.

I meant "frames per second", not "first person shooter". People use such stuff to check the fluidity of game graphics, to check the CPU/GPU load, temperatures, etc.

6. CaseyBoomer

CaseyBoomer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    • Hmmm, I will give the rename a try.
    • No frames-per-second tools in use either.

7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Can you add full pc specs , other hardware , os , gpu drivers and any other apps your running .... huds plugins etc

Andi

8. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Delete "graphics options.xml" file

9. CaseyBoomer

CaseyBoomer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    PC Specs:
    I7-8700 @3.2 GHz, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 TI, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI), 16GB DDR4, C: 1TB SSD, G: 2TB SSD, LG 27" 1440p, Windows 10, Thrustmaster T300 wheel/rim, Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter, Fanatec Club Sport Pedals, Corsair keyboard, RedDragon wired mouse
    I use CrewChief & Otterhud. The problem occurs with & without them.
    I am off to try the suggestions by Andi and Hervé above.

10. CaseyBoomer

CaseyBoomer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I changed the name of SimBin directory in my Documents folder and... my problem is gone!
    Thanks to all for the help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CaseyBoomer

CaseyBoomer New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify what I did, I changed the name of the SimBin directory and started R3E. It came up OK and I went to Single player Practice and clicked on Go race. No black screen, the in-car view came up as desired. I checked Documents/My Games and saw there was a new SimBIn directory created by R3E.

• Informative Informative x 1