CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Muzarati, Jun 17, 2023.

1. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys, this is a bit of a long shot but I am waning to upgrade my CPU to the end cycle processor of my MB. Looking for a I7-4790K, can't afford to buy new and second hand ones seem to be few and far between in this part of the world.
    Just wondered if anyone here had one lying around that they wanted to sell? (price and shipping cost dependent of course) ;)

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    You might have more luck on Reddit or Discord Intel/Nvidia subs due to the greater traffic there. Personally, I´d not throw more cash at such an old system unless it is dirt cheap.

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I agree. The difference between 4690 and 4790 is too small for modern games.

4. Rowan Unning

Rowan Unning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
  5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Looking at the prices of those CPUs you'd be better off picking up a second hand CPU/mb/ram bundle thats a few generations newer

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Then the GPU will be the bottleneck.

Price are slowly coming down, especially for 30XX GPUs, and the newer i5s seem to perform as well as older i7s, so something like an i5 12500 with 3060 or 3070 and DDR4 RAM seems to be the sweet spot between price and performance. Obviously it´s still a huge outlay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    There is always a bottleneck. Since this is not a planned full build but a partial upgrade, I see nothing wrong if GPU will stay a bit less powerful for some time, it's easily upgradable later.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  8. Rowan Unning

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    The list posted is useful to selfbuild an opinion about the passmark score which that CPU can by same specific test made upon those models in list.

Is just computational power indicator.
    The prices are just indicative and probably some are old prices.

In general a CPU doesn't make a computer going fast alone, as like an engine with N cc doesn't make a car faster if not well armonized with the rest of mechanics

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    So what? If he doesn't have the funds to buy a new PC that doesn't mean he still can't upgrade as he goes. Its what I've always done. You can never have enough CPU for raceroom anyway, I saw massive gains going from an old i5 3470 to an i5 10500 with the same 1050ti GPU. I've since got a better GPU too but the 1050ti wasn't holding me back at all in raceroom.

10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Right, but you would have had to change the motherboard and probably go up to DDR4 Ram too, so what I am saying is going up a small step in an outdated overall system is throwing cash away. Of course keep the GPU if it isn´t broken and money is tight, it won´t be too much of an issue in RRE but will in other games.

11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I did say to look at a CPU/mb/ram bundle. Its what I got. 10500 CPU, mb and 16 GB of 3200 ram for £200. It was a very cost effective but worthwhile upgrade.

12. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, yeah money is tight and I'm not a full-on gamer, RRRE is pretty much it for me.
    I live in New Zealand which is a long way from anywhere and new things that are imported can be expensive and the secondhand market is small. I will digest your comments and give it some more thought. :)

13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Take a look at CPUs on the Windows 11 compatibility list to avoid being OS limited, these also coincide with a big jump in performance as from 2018 when AMD started really competing and Intel was forced to respond with 8th Gen.

14. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Ha ha I've only just upgraded to W10 from W7!
    I can't afford (or justify) to upgrade whole MB, hence the lookout for the end cycle CPU (fastest CPU my MB will take)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Hello

I had the 4790k until 2018 until I started buying ryzen CPU’s
    Running single 1080p then triple 1080p with a 1080ti and a VEGA64 heavily over clocked

it was a good experience until setting too many AI cars on some tracks leading to stuttering but it was also helped by the monitors freesync feature

there was also a short period where it run a rig in the living room with a 4K tv so the cpu was not the bottleneck

I sold it last year with mb and ram and cooler and surely new owner was happy

if you are really on a budget then you won’t be disappointed

you didn’t mention what monitor you run the game on? Nor the GPU you have

maybe that will be good to help further with your choice if you could let us know
    Up to you

good luck in any case

16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    According to this article: https://www.wepc.com/cpu/faq/can-intel-13th-gen-run-on-windows-10/
    you can use Win10 even on 13th gen Intel, and the issues with E-cores are fixable.

17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I was referring to Win 10 EOL as, according to Microsoft, 22H2 is the last version and will EOL in October 2025 so security patches and other improvements are unlikely beyond then. Why pour money into a newer system if in less than 2 years it will be software limited?

18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's a big deal. It will work for two years plus how many more years you'll be able to use it after EOL. That's plenty of time to think of how to move to a newer version of Windows.

19. Rowan Unning

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    yep, pretty much MB and CPU moves togheter, while the rest are more independent.

As thumb rule, CPU has (Tera)flops / sec computational power as like as an engine has torque power to the shaft...
    (is a generalization to mix car engine and computer dynamics, in reality power comes from power supply, that trough MB goes to CPU)

... that will be discharged to the mecanics pieces or first pieces that power gonna encounter... in case of CPU, is motherboard (the Bus transfer capability it has) .

Then transfered power goes/comunicate to Ram and GPU (kinda 2nd engine) trough MB bus.

In general the armonization of components, allow a general power to the wheel, or a computational speed for the tasks wanted.

In case of games, can vary the amount of power required from CPU and GPU for the task of having the fluid possible game experience.
    Games can use a given % of CPU GPU power, and the armonization between the 2 powers is via MB, that can eventually bottleneck.
    As like a Uber GPU in a mid-low MB/CPU can be bottlenecked (or never allowed to express his full capability) if specs are to low.

So, to conclude, a well armonized mid system can be better at final power to the wheel than a system with single high pieces but others

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  20. Muzarati

Muzarati Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yeah when was win7 EOL? Like I said, I've only just jumped to win10 last month and only because Steam won't run on win7 at the end of the year