Crowdfunding for R3E content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Berno, Jun 5, 2015.

?

Would you pledge money for S3 to pursue a license and build a car in R3E?

1. Yes

64.4%
  2. No

35.6%
  1. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Tonite, reading what @Anthony Monteil wrote in this thread https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...a-race-motor-rather-than-a-kirby-vaccum.2252/ it came to my mind what I would support via Crowdfunding :
    Research so that Anthony would be able to make some good audio recordings, the team could finance laserscanning, or some of them could visit sites like Pikes Peak or any other exiting Hillclimb Track (as well as other Racetracks out of their reach).
    As I said the whole process of programming and testing a.s.o. should be left to them alone (see PC cars) for not to create a "debt-situation" at all - but funding the research area I can imagine it would be of great help, wouldn't it ? ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. Markuz Juniuz

Markuz Juniuz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would if they could acquire the license for Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Formula 1, Blancpain Sprint Series (is this going to be GTR3 then? ;)), and WEC.

3. Daniel Surridge

Daniel Surridge Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I would quite happily donate money to gain licences etc, only matter being I would like to have some say in what my money was being spent on, which I think could be the main problem with this method, I'm not a big F1 gaming fan, I prefer touring and GT racing so wouldn't be overly pleased knowing my money was being spent on something I have no intentions of using, and of course everyone here has their own dreams series they would love to see in game.

Unless they could crowd fund individual licences, for example, Sector3 openly publish which licence they wish to go for next before we hand our money over, but then we have the problem of what happens if they dont raise the required funds? could get a bit messy if people hand over hard earned money for something which is not delivered.

4. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    S3 should raise money by selling custom skins. I would pay a few dollars for a car in every pack with my theme, number and name on it. Also passworded so only I can use them, or it is stored on my PC only for my use.

5. Chris Wright

Chris Wright Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Voted: No
    Everyone's entitled to their views on these things, so here's mine.
    I and others have been crowdfunding this title for years through buying almost everything, bar a couple of fantasy cars in my case.
    This ongoing revenue stream should be sufficient to keep Sector 3 well funded. Heck, we even pay hard earned dollars for liveries...
    If anyone doesn't have all the DLC, maybe the best way to "crowdfund" is just to go and buy the lot.
    The one good thing about the RRE business model is that it does at least give S3 ongoing funding.
    I have now stopped formally crowdfunding race sims after the lousy attitude of SMS following release of pCars, encapsulated by the abject rudeness of Ian Bell on Virtual r, and elsewhere I understand, over the pricey entry cost of the pCars2 kickstarter. Having been one of its most prolific contributors, I also don't post on Virtual r any more, for what that's worth, following their similar rudeness when people had what they deemed to be the temerity to criticize SMS's abject greed and disrespect for many of us whose funding not only enabled the pCars release, but also allowed them the breathing space to develop for the new consoles. Never again!
    I have made exceptions, however, and supported Reiza - already well established - and Dirt Rally, as that seems to be offering an already pretty polished title in much the same way as when AC was launched. As for ever getting in at ground level again, forget it!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  6. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Great post Chris; can't argue with you there. I'm holding out for the (unconfirmed) GTR3 class pack before buying into that class, bit maybe doing so isn't the most sensible way to convey that GTs are my main interest!

• Like Like x 2
  7. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I think you make some very good points Chris. Crowdfunding may be great in theory for small indie games looking to get started, but for an established game, I dont see the need. If someone is so inclined to want to give S3 some more money they can use on licenses, why do you need a kickstarter for that? This game has a load of content! Just buy more of it! That way, you get the satisfaction of giving S3 some more money, and actually get something out of it immediately... more content!

I remember reading through the Assetto Corsa forums months back and there were a handful of users very pleased with the game, and thought Kunos was charging too little for the game, especially with their half off sales... So a user made a post about "donating" money to Kunos because they deserve it. Perhaps a funny concept to just give more money to a dev, but who am I to judge others enjoyment. So in the thread, users suggested just buying more copies of the game to hand out to friends because Kunos still get the proceeds, but for some reason, that idea wasnt met with such admiration from the user that made the original post. Quite odd... :p

I guess the point I was getting at, is simply that a "donation" or "crowdfunding" mechanism is already in place. It's called "buying more content." ;)

This isnt at all surprising really. Especially not when you hear that Rob Prange, who owns Virtual R is on SMS payroll and one of the top dogs on the pcars forum. So the bias on his site is going to be extreme.

Luckily, there are other developers' forums that are more well mannered and other places to discuss games besides sites like that cesspool. :rolleyes: :p

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chris Wright

Chris Wright Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    [QUOTE="This isnt at all surprising really. Especially not when you hear that Rob Prange, who owns Virtual R is on SMS payroll and one of the top dogs on the pcars forum. So the bias on his site is going to be extreme.

Luckily, there are other developers' forums that are more well mannered and other places to discuss games besides sites like that cesspool. :rolleyes: :p

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I thought Rob had done a pretty decent job of sitting on the fence until the pCars2 funding thread. His editorial integrity went down the plughole in one stupid rant. Bsim is an excellent similar type of site and I now hang out there quite a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yes, BSIM is the place to be for impartial news and comment, plus they tend to have their finger on the pulse whereas VirtualR can take days to report any news that isn't pCARS.

Anyway, back on topic, @nate is spot on. There is absolutely no need for crowd funding when R3E's sales model makes it very easy to continually support the developers, probably one of the few virtues of the way this game is sold. Once you reach the level of spend that equates to two or three copies of Assetto Corsa or Stock Car Extreme (as I have), the notion of crowd funding, while admirable, is completely bonkers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Didn't realise BSim was still going, cheers for that :)