Drive Through Penalties

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Why485, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Am I stupid or is there no clear indication that you need to serve these? I've been disqualified in 2 races now because I had no idea I even needed to serve these.

I've started using the so good it should be part of the game crew radio mod, which told me about penalties that I would have not known about otherwise. However, even after I served what I thought were all my penalties I still got disqualified a couple laps later.

iRacing does this very well with both your crew chief constantly reminding you about them, and showing a black flag on the screen, that will not go away, which tells you exactly what you need to do to get rid of any penalties you've incurred.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. MPN64

MPN64 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    You do choose serve penalty and pit in confirmed on the Pit menu?
    works for me.
    2.jpg

BTW on the hud settings tab you can enable in game overlays,then you get an message on the screen,
    if you have (or have served) an penalty. but it also enables other annoying stuff about the opponents.

I also use crewchief v2 and now when testing, he did not say penalty served. I think v1.9 did that
    will post an bug report on it.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Crew chief never said that you've served your penalty. But it should and it will :)

4. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    More that he stopped telling me I had to do one. He would remind me every lap while I thought I still had one.

I'll look into the re-enabling the overlays if that's where that information is shown. If the overlays are what I think they are though, I disabled them because I hated having these gigantic distracting blocks of text blocking my vision whenever I completed a lap.

Edit: Messing around with this some more, it's a little more obvious when you get penalties, but I was also reminded of why I turned these off.

I think this is a real usability concern. While all the gigantic pop ups on the left are really irritating, what really turns me off from using them is that they block the view of important things. The warnings and cautions that show up will completely block the virtual mirror to the point of making it useless for a few seconds. The lap completed pop ups will completely block your dashboard.

In addition, once you've racked up a penalty, while the pop up is more obvious (due to its size and completely obstructing your mirror) it still disappears and if you missed it you would be none the wiser. You would have no idea that you have it, nor how many laps you have to serve it so you can plan it out more. There needs to be some small flag or indicator off to the side that shows you have a penalty to serve. With emphasis on the small. Almost all of RaceRoom's ingame UI is ridiculously gigantic for the miniscule amount of information its providing.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  5. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    The warning/information overlays would be much more useful if they started relatively large, a bit smaller than currently, but quickly moved away and became smaller to the side of the screen. Warnings could/should stay on screen for things like drive throughs being required, info panes for fastest laps and such could disappear after a couple of moments.

6. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    One of the best things with the Crewcheif is that I don't need the overlays anymore!!

7. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the middle of a big update to Crew Chief and am adding penalty related questions to the voice recognition stuff. You'll be able to ask "do I still have a penalty?", "do I have a penalty?" and "I served my penalty?". The answer will be a yes or a no, with some extra text, and a warning to box this lap if you need to.

So responses like "no, you've served your penalty", or "yes, you still have a penalty. Box this lap".

Hopefully this will remove the last uncertainty with penalties (at least for crew chief users). At least, that's the idea anyway ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, the in-game UI needs a major rethink. Warnings blocking the virtual mirror is a serious bugbear of mine too. It's all very clumsy.

Some degree of UI customisation would be welcome as per Assetto Corsa, so the player can place (and maybe size) UI components to their liking for better usability.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. fast_bear

fast_bear Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    The fact that you don't know clearly if you have a penalty would explain why I've been disqualified several time due to over speed in pit.
    That would be a great update to have the information in the radio ;)

10. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Radio you say? Hmm... if only someone would make some kind of radio application...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  11. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    We want to rework the HUD. We just need to deal with a hundred other more important things first. Having messages cover the mirror is pretty damn bad though. I'll investigate a bit, see if that can be tweaked right away.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    @[s3]Kitsune, Maybe you can introduce a new flag (a red one for example) wich stays left on screen till you have get your penalty.
    A otter flag color can overrule it for a short time if it's required

13. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Had a similar thought yeah, something that stays on screen until penalty is served. Would need to be a bit smaller though, as is already established screen space is limited.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Crew chief is definitely the way to go, I genuinely panic now if I enter a Sim without it!

As for a visual aid just a simple small flashing red light on HUD or Dash would do for me.

Quick question mr_belowski, is there any reason why my Crew Chief is shouting out the wrong lap times for the opposition?

15. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    He's a double agent, you should fire him immediately.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    When we have prepared a pit stop we have a small reminder on right of screen, why not using the same asset with a different text, and maybe a red color instead of yellow?