Resolved DTM 2020 - DRS slows the car

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Lixma, Jun 24, 2021.

1. anylogic

anylogic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Customer experience focuses something like speed in kmh seen in-game - not any technical values inside math model like lift and drag.

Original statements from Audi and BMW on current car behavior in game would be very valuable.

2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    No, those things are subject to setup.

Mathematical base line values are everything, without them you're just guessing.

Zero chance of any of the manufacturers looking back at them now.
    They've all moved on and the people involved have gone elsewhere.

To reiterate, the series technical director outlined all performance and behaviour parameters. I simply executed what they asked.

3. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you have the correct data. Then you have to ask yourself if something is wrong with the physics engine.

I have now linked you a video on which it is clear how quickly it went real. And you will never reach that in the game. Not even close. Unless you skip the chicane in Monza and press PTP 2 times in a row.

The cars are definitely too fast in the corners and yet slower on the straights.
    And that is now amplified with these strange changes. Hockenheim is an exception, because in Raceroom the lateral forces don't affect the top speed like they do in real.

We would rather not have said anything about the non-functioning DRS.

4. anylogic

anylogic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    New bid for Setup DLC: 1500 VRP

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    OK, there comes a point where you have to let this go.

Now is that time.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If you guys know these cars inside out like you claim then you would know how to set up the car, surely?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Our cars are a snap shot in time, pre-2020 season, as the series organisers specified.

Does not take into account any in-season development.

Setup is a baseline value which the series technical director specified.

I've already established you can massively influence corner and straight line speeds by setup.

Now here's something I've not mentioned until now, and that's our weather conditions. Ours are fixed, with zero wind and a air density of 1.2 kg/m^3. If that air density were to change 10% a car's drag and downforce would change exactly 10%.

Now guess what, the air density at the Spa race was around 1.08 kg/m^3, which is a 10% drop.. in drag and downforce too.

So, there's one of the limitations to this physics engine: weather conditions are fixed.

Now stop being pedantic and just enjoy the drive!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm probably driving in the most competitive DTM 2020 league there is. And no one there is satisfied yet who has driven the new Physics.

And yes, I know these cars very well and I can drive them fast: 2:2,0 in Spa before the ffb update.1:27.6 at Hockenheim. 5:53.1 on the Nordschleife (Leaderboard). That should be enough as an answer.

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You've all got the same car/physics so deal with it. Forget before. What you have now is what you have.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, this is now the wrong way.
    Take it, as it is.
    Before the last patch, Sheldon van DER Linde says, it's all spot on. Now it drives completely different as pape78 said now numerous times and I know many people, who do so.
    Was Sheldon so wrong before?

Ok, you can call me a DTM fan and I was very happy, that there is one simulation in this world where I can drive it in a very competitive league. I'm not that fast driver, not so good in making setups, that's true.
    But for me, without the biggest knowledge about that, these cars don't drive like they do (and I take only the speeds into account) in the last year's DTM season and this is probably a problem.
    I think, my happiness about having those cars is now over after a very competitive season with guys like pape78 in front, but there would be no new season at least for me.
    It's very strange to see the higher speeds in curves and the decreasing speed on straights.

It's a bit hard to believe. Sorry to say. That's my opinion and my finding. I would be really happy if those findings from Pape and guys like speedo could be discussed on the same level. I think, they have valid points, reading the discussion here.
    And that should be no attack against anyone here, only kind asking if that could be.

Sorry, on such posts I see, that this is not my native language. Hoping, you know, how it s meant.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the air density:
    Then every car in every class would have to be slower on the straights and faster in the corners. The whole thing doesn't make any more sense then, because it's the final result that counts. If that's not true, I'll have to rework.

The cars still drove well after the FFB update . Only the DRS didn't work and you had to adjust the height because of the front splitter. But they drove very dynamically. Instead of just correcting the DRS problem the whole car was totally changed. And now they drive like the kids version + the added and mentioned problems.

The worst thing is this excessive slowing down, if it goes even slightly uphill. That's not normal, that I then have to make my car 2 cm higher to get that under control. For that you would need bumpstops again. But this simulation does not have that element. These changes make no sense without bump stops and the cars are no fun on tracks with long straights.
    In the end it's all about the fun!

It is apparently no criticism wanted. Is then just so.

• Like Like x 1
  12. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Why? Raceroom has always used the same value for the air density. The point is that the 2020 DTM race in Spa was an outlier because it was extremely hot at that weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    At a higher temperature, however, turbos also have less power

14. pederman87

pederman87 New Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    As far as i remember, air density and temperature affects N/A cars, but is almost neglectable with a turbo engine

15. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    that is a bit exaggerated statement, don't you think? when people just aren't in agreement, that doesn't mean criticism isn't wanted. You are not banned, or in any other way affected by the difference of opinions. Your criticism stands on its own, there was a conversation, different opinions were exchanged. You are not getting what you want, that is all. The existence of this forum and the devs interacting is proof enough that criticism is actually wanted, no?

You suspected another bug, and the developer checked and disagrees, and the rest of the conversation to be a regular argument about how things should be.

There is no ground truth in these games when it comes to the physics, we have different titles in the market using different technologies, with different interpretations of how things should work, what should/can be simulated at what fidelity. It is also influenced by what means are available to each developer. Therefore it is (despite best efforts) always an interpretation of a few individual humans in the end, and they are always constraint by many things (budget / technology / time / scope of work).

• Like Like x 1
  16. anylogic

anylogic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    If you didn't quite understand this, the point is if we make it match the downforce and drag forces 1:1 at Spa it'd be wrong elsewhere.

In addition it would mean the default setup would be low downforce, which wouldn't be good for most users, but more importantly it'd be fudged because the air density was different at the real 2020 race compared to our version. Thus the aero coefficients would be wrong.

Spa:
    [​IMG]

Hockenheim:
    [​IMG]

19. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    When will get bump stop in the game, to have more Realistik and can you make tutorial how to setup DTDM2020 to have good pace.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  20. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    youve missed the biggest fkn issue here...... the tracks. not only a different weather pattern, but differing grip and even the track shapes are just so wrong especially on earlier r3e tracks. its like comparing brands hatch times irl to spa, its pointless and it is what it is.

• Informative Informative x 1