Formula Junior Gearbox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ravey1981, Nov 12, 2018.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Firstly, If anyone hasn't tried this car I highly recommend giving it a go. So much fun to drive. Be sure to increase wheel lock in settings though or it is hard to catch a slide....

Now my question, what sort of gearbox is it supposed to have? I've been driving it with a sequential shifter as I believe its based on / inspired by the formula ford? It definitely has downshift protection built in so can't be H pattern. But maybe its paddle shift?

2. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Such a fun car, I am wondering same thing.

****** I do wish R3E would put more technical descriptions with each car. Just a few paragraghs of specs. Another thing that can't be that hard to do! ******

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It's H-pattern.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    How come it has downshift protection and beep then. If h pattern it would always accept the gear (but maybe break)

5. Destin65

Destin65 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    That is a great little car. And agree on the wish to have a little more spec info on each car. Nice that we get hp rating, weight, and drivetype such as RWD or AWD, etc. But would be nice to have a little more like gearbox/shifter type, engine capacity/displacement though some seem to have it where others don't. The FRJ just says it's an Inline-4 without any displacement information. Just would like to know if it's like a Formula 2000 type car (2000cc or 2.0L, etc) or bigger or smaller, etc. It's obviously pretty well powered as the car has good speed, more so than the I-4 NSU TTS as well as rivaling the Silhouettes and Aquila.

More information never hurts! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. AlexBlob

AlexBlob Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    All cars have DSP when you use it without an H-Pattern, but I may be wrong on that. I would be nice to have more info but at the same time, a lot of the numbers such as weight and HP rating are not "Correct" since a lot of cars are subject to BOP adjustments, meaning that at any time a car can lose a few HP here and there or gain some weight.

7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    DTM 92 and touring classics have H pattern in real life but have no downshift protection on the game, when used with sequential or paddle, you can just ram the gears through as you wish. The real life cars did not need clutch for upshift as they ran dog boxes. A bit more gearbox realism as an option (yes it will not suit all) would be a good addition to the game. I see that clutch behaviour changes are coming so maybe it is a possibility for the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Car specs could be updated with the update , no ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    There's no beep on my end. Turn up the volume and listen closer, what you should be hearing there is a gear grinding noise, just like in the DTM '92 cars. You can't shift down until you've reached safe revs. If you're getting a beep, please make a short vid if that's possible and attach it here.

We need a downshift protection system in every car to prevent people from exploiting engine braking or other stuff involved in the process of downshifting, so, even while this acts a bit closer to a synchronized box than a dogbox, this is the compromise that was agreed on and I think it was the right thing to do.
    We're simulating a 1.8 litre inline 4 of an unspecified manufacturer. ;)

10. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    @Christian Göpfert This is strange, I am almost sure it's a beep. I will see if I can get a video tonight and let you know. The car is brilliant by the way.

Yes I understand about the compromise, it's difficult when people may be using different equipment too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Andy, I have posted my vote 3 years later for what it's worth . It's not a deal breaker for me as within a short space of time it's easy to learn shift points of different cars. I don't use my H shifter much as it's only a crappy g27 unit. Generally I use paddle for paddle shift cars and a sequential for all others, that said, it would be nice to have more realism but there are other factors involved.

13. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Since Alex tagged my question as "winner", I suppose this is the IRL car closest to the FRJ.

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Very similar, although we have a bit more power and slick tyres. I've driven with one of those hewland 4 speed boxes in real life and they are really nice to use.(Formula Renault experience at Thruxton, although the engine on that was rev limited so much it killed acceleration. Would love to have a crack in a real F Ford)

15. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Alex Hodgkinson drove a similar car.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    H-Pattern