Forza Motorsport

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Andy Kettler, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bull shark Too

Bull shark Too Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Looks really nice but the AI of FM7 is the worst AI I ever encountered. What a disaster. I hope they fixed this a little bit in the new version.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  4. Bull shark Too

Bull shark Too Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Cars are oké. Tracks are a bit on the low side if you ask me. :cool:

5. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    What low side ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  6. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I think he meant not many at launch.
    • Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
    • Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans (Le Mans)
    • Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
    • Hakone Circuit
    • Indianapolis Motor Speedway
    • Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit
    • Laguna Seca Raceway
    • Maple Valley
    • Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
    • Silverstone Circuit
    • Suzuka Circuit
    • Virginia International Raceway
    I'm glad to see Kyalami but missing Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta and several others that have been in the game in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    It will have 20 Locations at launch. The list only shows the already announced tracks, same with cars.

"This isn’t the final track list for launch. It will be expanded with more confirmed tracks as we introduce them to players in our trailers, screenshots, livestreams and blogs. Check back often for the latest track reveals."

"This isn’t the final car list for launch. It will be expanded with more confirmed cars and manufacturers as we show them in our trailers, screenshots, livestreams and blogs. Check back often for the latest cars."

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bull shark Too

Bull shark Too Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah my fault,

I meant the amount of tracks are a bit on the low side.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Ok ^^

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
  11. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    The focus of the game can best be surmised by the game's lead. To quote Chris Esaki...

"So, the new Forza Motorsport has been focused since day one, really on circuit racing, with modern race cars and modern production cars. And we've been focused on delivering clean and competitive racing in both, single player and, multiplayer. And that focus has really impacted everything in the game. I mean everything! So, we're talking the car list, the track list, the types of fantasy tracks we've actually built and, how we constructed them, (and) what the layout is (they run). Our rendering features of course, our physics, our A.I., and our gameplay features." - Chris Esaki. Creative Director, Turn 10.

Kind of rambling. I really should have stopped the quote at the first use of the word "and". Oops. :rolleyes:

They removed oddball cars, like the limo (and hopefully SUVs, Pickup trucks, trophy trucks, RVs, Dakkar Rally cars, Rally Cross cars, and Minivans) :D, and are putting cars that are relevant to track racing, or modern production cars. After the quagmire of running pickup trucks, and Police Interceptors found in FM7, it's good to see the game taking track racing a little more seriously.

Drivatar has been rejiggered. Now safer, more paths this time made by AI instead of a person. The difference between the AI in the demonstration had FM8's AI a full 13 seconds faster than FM7's unbeatable AI. The racing lines definitely looks better in FM8. Hopefully this will be a great challenge for single player sessions.

I think what they showed with the tire model comparison, while not as deep of a dive as I would like, did highlight that the new model is greatly improved. 90% of my problem with car control in FM5 - FM7 came from the underwhelming tire models. I want to feel the differences for my self though, but that will come when either a demo happens or the game releases.

The brief lap with a wheel didn't show much, but it appears that slides are much easier to catch. The wiggle he had on the final turn, would have ended in a spin on FM7, especially on that steering wheel. This was interesting. I would like to see more wheel play with the title. Even if they are using a gear driven Logitech G920... Scratch that. Especially if they are using a G920! If that wheel can be used to catch what would be race ending losses of traction, I can only imagine what someone with a CSL-DD or better would be able to do.

The game's lighting while on track looked better this time around. I was beginning to worry that the game looked awesome during cut-scenes but drab while playing it.

This hour-long discussion isn't enough time to really get into the topics they intend to discuss. The tire physics alone should have taken at least the full hour they set aside for FM8. They only talked about the tire rolling over bumps and imperfections, they didn't get into or show how the new model handles lateral grip in comparison to FM7's tire model.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Chris really loves to go deep into details. This is what i always wanted personally. But also kinda crazy to me since after so many FM games i never ever thought FM would go this far into physics simulation details. I love it.

For me this is truly build from the ground up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I've always enjoyed both Forza and the Horizon series as a good relaxing car collector type game. If it's going more sim, then even better. I'll try it out on Gamepass when it releases and if I enjoy it, I'll buy the super duper expensive edition (same as I did with 6 and 7).

• Like Like x 2
  14. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Timestamps in yesterdays Forza Monthly Video for FM topics:

8:57 Development focus for launch
    15:43 AI and Drivatars
    31:20 Tire Physics
    45:17 Wheel Gameplay

I separated the Tire Physics part for everyone interested in just those details:

Forza Motorsport Creative Director Chris Esaki takes an in-depth look at the new tire physics

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  15. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  16. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
  17. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna Gamepass and if I enjoy it, I'll buy the full version.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Never played Forza games and it seems it will be this way, they do not plan vr.
    So the target will be gamepad as always.

20. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I had to look up DirectInput. From Wikipedia...

In computing, DirectInput is a legacy[1] Microsoft API for collecting input from a computer user, via input devices such as the mouse, keyboard, or a gamepad. It also provides a system for action mapping, which allows the user to assign specific actions within a game to the buttons and axes of the input devices. Additionally it handles haptic feedback (input/output) devices.

So, no needing to mess with Emu-Wheel in order to get a Simucube wheelbase working?