How to stop MP races ruined by poeple quiting?? Ideas...

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von Squidboy, 22. Mai 2016.

1. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Thats the thing tho, game or sim, some take it very seriously and it shows in the approach to their qually, race and participation even on the public servers, while others see it as a game and just like to take part and whatever will be will be and a minority that just dont give a shit.
    In reality it is just another game and people quitting for whatever reason is their prerogative, as already said if you want people to stay and be committed you are best off joining a league or become a member of a club. If you have invested time to build up relationships meet people play and race then you are much more likely to commit to full race length regardless of any early race issues you may have, there is the friendship, respect and comradery that comes with it, banter, pisstakes, encouragement shared knowledge that a club can offer over and above anything you will find on the public servers, and on top of all that good fair racing.

Edit - Although, saying that i have tried 3 times over the last 15 or so years with clubs and groups and tend to have found them a little too clicky for my liking, now its casual and if its good great if not i can walk away and disregard it as a none event.

2. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Well you'd be most welcome at our club races over at rd. In the last few months, it's built up a great atmosphere and people are enjoying it. Even get the occasional dev pop in.

3. _Stu_

_Stu_ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of RD, cant seem to access their website.
    Anyone else had this problem or is it my end?

4. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Down apparently.
    Race Department Race Club members

5. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it's been down since yesterday

6. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yes I'll be backmarking in the Opel

7. _Stu_

_Stu_ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys

8. Squidboy

Squidboy Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Well i have been racing for a couple of months now and admit to quitting myself, usually after wiping out several times due to lack of skill .( Taking the plunge and joining a club...see how that goes. Held off on that until i was at a level where i would not ruin their races as well as my own .)

I did think having quiters go into AI mode would be an elegant solution but that brings its own downside.

9. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    They are great for people like yourself, its all part of the learning curve and as long as you dont go out to wreck or deliberately spoil a race you shouldnt have any problems at all, i would get into a club now if i was you, best practices good habits and how to RACE properly will come much easier with experienced understanding people around you!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I think this is a tough dillema. I don't like it when folks quit, but I do it too. I at least try to not be the guy that quits upon first corner carnage. Alot of times when enough people drop out, then it gets real boring, and i'll quit too.

Part of the appeal of public servers is the ability to hop in and have a quick race, and if you're lucky it can be a great race. If I start a race and things just go wrong, or it turns out that half the field quits, and then i'm a lap down due to various issues, I like being able to move on to another race and maximize my available time to play video games, which is a bit rare for me. But I do make an effort to stick around after mistakes.

Really i think the solution for those that want iRacing type penalties is to join a league.

11. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Quitter

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    1 of 3 ;)
    Plus the fact that i wouldnt be prepared to pay for the right to race on private servers, especially not for a game that i have paid enough for it as it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DSky

DSky Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    About 1-2 weeks ago i had the same problem, in 10 races with at least 10 players, 8 of the races i got left for dead.

14. ZeroTypeX

ZeroTypeX New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll be strait about that.

In most races, unless my car breaks down, I stick it out. In races where 'certain drivers' are running 20-50 seconds or more ahead of everybody or if those 'certain drivers' start trolling, I leave with the quickness.

I'm an average racing enthusiast (nothing special), have little trouble keeping pace, and usually run in the top 5-7 positions, but in situations like what I mentioned, continuing is pointless.

15. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, there are times where it makes a lot more sense to be a quitter than sticking around purely for the sake of "don't be be a quitter". I'm sure we've all been the last guy remaining in a race, as an extreme example.

Again, I'm not typically a "one crash and I'm out" person. More like "3 crashes and already half the field have left and I'm out" or "family needs attention", and I'll pull out my quitter card.

The idea about turning quit cars into AI is intriguing, mainly as an option for dedicated servers....don't think I'd want it as default setting.

16. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    If I messed up by myself I don't quit...
    If I am shooted to space by a kamikaze I quit...seems legit no?

17. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Don't Beta about the bush! ;)

The sun is always over the yardarm somewhere in the world!

All comes down to better dedi server tools/options and a far more elaborate lobby imo, would be nice to see who's in what server, doesn't take long to remember the names to stay clear of and a few weeks of Johnny no mates and they may, I say MAY change their ways, thought it might be a nice touch to have an avatar that changes from say blue, gradually to red for the amount of time spent in Sim as have hopped into a server in the morning expecting blurry eyed, coffee infusing, Zombies like myself only to find myself amongst an army of angry Aussies, who've been at it hard for 5 hours solid, then they get all pissy because you tail end one of them whilst taking a swig of coffee and having a drag of your fag! :rolleyes: guess what I'm trying to say is we're all in a different frame of mind at different times of the day, it's happy hour somewhere for 24 hours of every day! Just not here, never here! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 24. Mai 2016
  18. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Would it not be easier to offer or implement a reward for race distance completions irrespective of where you finish, just as long as you do :D

That way, when you are taken out on the first lap, or make a mistake at any given point, and you know the chances of winning are slim (although this has happened to me), you will still earn some kind of race position completion reward, as to what the reward is, well that would be down to the developers, but things like 50 race finishes and you get a free car skin, stuff like that.

Going back to myself, I qualified fairly low down in a race the other week, was nudged off 3 times in the first lap, but stayed happy and focused on setting consistent lap times, 20 minutes later all but 2 of us had left the game, and it resulted in myself and this other guy taking a One, Two :D

• Like Like x 1