Problem KTM X-Bow start behavior - how to get a dezent start?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by pierredietze, Jul 8, 2021.

1. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Morning!
    Problem is, the KTM X-Bow is fast enough to quali in the top3, but i am loosing many positions on race start. Even with TC off i have the feeling there is some kind of tc still active in this car. No matter what i tried (with or without clutch, with or without tc or just smashing in 1st gear on max revs) its impossible to get the rear wheels spinning? The revs drop down very low and the car does'nt move at all.

Devs, please have a look @ this problem, the KTM is almost dead online. Sometimes i am the only KTM driver in a 20+ car field. If i am doing something wrong, please tell me, but i think its a car related problem.

Thanks in advance!

2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Bear in mind that real world GT4 series only ever use rolling starts and the KTM was designed around that. It has an extremely tall first gear, maybe also a result of KTMs motorbike heritage, as this is a typical way to design motorcycle gear ratios.

To illustrate, the gear ratios of the Audi R8:

upload_2021-7-8_9-5-1.png

You can see that first gear takes it to 52kph at 8000rpm and it's also worth mentioning that the engine peaks at 450nm of torque.

Now here's how the KTM, which peaks at 400nm of torque, is geared:

upload_2021-7-8_9-7-11.png

At the rev limiter in 1st gear the speed is 108kph. That's a taller ratio than 2nd in the Audi.

Aside from only running races with rolling starts there's no easy way around it. Practising clutch control and heavily slipping the clutch for the initial launch is the only way.

• Informative Informative x 5
  3. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that info Alex, very much appreciated!

The problem with the clutch control is the clutch itself. As many other games RRRE has a very sharp bite point and with the standart Thrustmaster pedals you have absolutly no feedback in your left foot. I will see if i can find a solution for that.

Rolling starts? Great idea, please tell this also your buddy's, setting up the ranked server! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1