Problem low FPS (drops) with a R7 5800X3D & RX 7900 XTX

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Thomas Oelschläger, Apr 23, 2023.

1. Thomas Oelschläger

Thomas Oelschläger Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

I recently upgraded my system and completely reinstalled it, including Steam Games. Now I'm testing and setting up all the games again, and the only thing I'm noticing is that the FPS numbers are more than bad in Race Room.

I have everything in the graphics settings on full stop, incl. Bloom and motion blur. My specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D + Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro)
    2x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR4-3200
    SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon Nitro+ RX 7900 XXT
    DELL Monitor S3422DWG

I test the whole thing in Spa with a GT3, it doesn't matter if I drive with, or without AI. At the height of the pit lane and the straight afterwards to Eau Rouge I have only 50FPS and that only very fluctuating, which is visually very noticeable. After Eau Rouge I'm then at about 90 and in the further course sometimes briefly on 110FPS.

However, everything fluctuates so much that it visibly does not run smoothly.

By the way, I have deactivated VSYNC.

After some research, I read about DXVK, with which the game gains roughly 30FPS. However, it still doesn't run smoothly visually. If I activate Vsync, I have 60 FPS throughout, but off the track everything seems somehow distorted or not smooth.

If I disable Vsync I have roughly 80FPS, but the GPU load is always at 100%.

The new DX9.dll does help increase the FPS, but with my system I shouldn't have to worry about that with an old DX9 game, right?

Could you possibly find similar problems with an AMD system?

Thank you, Thomas

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that doesn't look normal.

Do you mean minimum?

I heard about some issues with AMD GPUs, but I don't remember if they were solved...

3. Thomas Oelschläger

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi, but this only happens if I have deactivated Vsync. The DX9.dll is already inserted at this point.

Sorry. No, the maximum settings. ;)

I have read that there is supposed to be a bottleneck.

Which setting or setting could cause the FPS drop? Only the shadows?

We can also write in German, but I am unsure whether that is desired in this forum. I also see German posts in the forum.

Thank you.

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you can find more tips here: https://forum.kw-studios.com/index.php?threads/vr-performance-tweaks-tips.13068/
    Putting everything to the max also means the maximum risk of performance issues because of some unoptimized settings/features. Or did you run everything on the max on your 3080?

Unfortunately I don't speak German. :oops:

5. Thomas Oelschläger

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I just want to give feedback that the problem has solved itself. Through whatever...

I have not changed anything. I can now set everything to max and have between 160-190FPS. The GPU utilization is roughly 93%, which is normal for the FPS number.

But one more question about the FPS. Can I fix the FPS to 144 like my monitor? In the settings I can only activate Vsync, which is equal to 60 FPS.

In ACC I can set the maximum FPS to 144, hence the question.

Would take the load off the graphics card as well.

Thanks again for the help.

6. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    If you scroll down your resolution settings, R3E should list the higher refresh rates available bellow your <current res @60Hz>, as vsync will be tied to it.

Then at <native res @144Hz>, you can either enable vsync to cap at 144Hz, or better, add an external frame cap (ideally at most ~141fps or bellow) to further reduce latency on a freesync monitor.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  7. Thomas Oelschläger

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

it is very strange. I have my resolution set to 3440x1440 @ 144Hz in the game. When I disable Vsync I have over 170FPS. When I enable Vsync, the value is fixed at 60FPS.

My monitor supports everything and also in Windows everything is set to 144Hz. Adaptive Sync is also enabled.
    I have no idea why Race Room stiffens to 60 FPS with Vsync enabled. In ACC I can set 144 FPS fixed.

Do you have any other idea? Many thanks, Thomas

Attached Files:

8. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    That's strange, ingame if I set 1080p75Hz (even if I keep desktop at 60Hz) vsync will lock to 75Hz when non gpu/cpu limited as expected.
    For the moment, please exclude dxvk to test, disable any manual tweaks to the x64 R3E's exe files if present (righ click on them under explorer, check compat tab for any checkmark present), ensure you're using DP instead of HDMI.
    Under R3E when 144hz is selected (no matter if vsync on or off), confirm also in your monitor OSD what is really running at (on this low S2421HS series dell it's buried at Others>select "display info" <enter>). If mismatches, maybe go and check if 144hz is really selected under Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\graphics_options.xml.

If for some reason it's really at 144hz ingame, but freesync isn't working in R3E (still no reason why vsync wouldn't cap at 144 instead), as you're on w11, you might check settings>system>display>"graphics">advanced graphics settings (drop down)>variable refresh rate. This should be off by default, and usually there is absolutely no need to enable it if freesync/gsync is properly supported (if doesn't help, keep off).

Oh, and confirm in your AMD CP if under Gaming>R3E something like vsync or radeon chill was forcefully enabled by mistake, or under AMD CP general Settings, Graphics, both options and Frame Rate Target control. but it's unlikely, as your vsync-off fps seem really uncapped.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  9. Thomas Oelschläger

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You have found the solution! :sunglasses: Many thanks! The variable Refresh rate was activated in Windows! After disabling and enabling Vysnc in Race Room, the lock was also set at 144Hz.

The monitor also displayed it correctly. I found the option in my monitor and had it displayed.

Oddly enough, Race Room freezes completely when I enable or disable Vsync. Without displaying an error...
    I once attached the DUMP files, maybe someone can evaluate it.

I then changed it in the file: graphics_options.xml

Radeon Chill was disabled for me. I only enabled anti-lag and image sharpening.

But my problem can gladly be considered solved. Thank you very much for your support.:relaxed:

BR Thomas

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    A very late reply: that R3E freeze when switching Vsync on/off, which I'm also gettin when going from fullscreen>borderless>fullscreen is probably related to AMD's rdna drivers.
    I don't remember ever having it before just a month ago when using a RX480 (older dx driver branch), but after changing to a 6700XT now I face the same freezing issue on the UI after changing specific settings.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023