My online experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BasilFawlty, Jul 17, 2022.

1. BasilFawlty

BasilFawlty New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I prefer low stress racing which keeps me away from iRacing and ranked Raceroom but I have recently joined some unranked servers. However my experience is the following:

- Many players quit after mass collision in the first couple of turns which is OK on a casual server
    - Lags are unbelievable bad even though I'm only joining low ping servers (50 or below). Basically I can only guess the action around me because cars appear out of nowhere. This can't be my internet connection so why is this?
    - Even when 10 or so players manage to survive the first few laps and finally some racing is going on, most players just simply leave and only 4 or 5 will finish a short 25 mins race. Why??

(It would be so nice to just join servers for casual races but very few of them are populated and most are either Nordschleife practice or all car servers which I struggle to understand but that's another topic).

2. Rowan Unning

Rowan Unning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Custom variables.

Which one u joined ? ( server names )

A shared experiences list about custom servers with names , would be nice and probably useful for some too.
    (kinda custom servers reputation/review).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  3. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'm not trying to tell you how to play or how to enjoy what you play, so please don't take this like that.

But, for me it was a mental approach that I changed and made me enjoy ranked racing much more.
    I try not to care my rating.If I lose rating, it is probably more correct than what it was before, but I try to do my best.
    I just try to enjoy the race, my race. If I have someone behind that is overly aggressive, or just divebomb, I let them through (and take some childish enjoyment of them crashing with someone else overly aggressive).
    After all, it is just a game (sim). I try to do the same with online chess, enjoy the game, dont focus on the rating. It will self adjust.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Ranked servers have kind of killed off unranked ones with actual races as opposed to interminable practise sessions. The few that seem to still have numbers tend to be free to play combos so a lot of unprepared or indeed non-invested players join them with the results you mention. I think you might enjoy doing some private leagues or team events like AUS NZ, where there is no rating at stake. Discord is your friend to find them.

5. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Does it happen with all cars or only with some of them?

The way dedicated servers work in this game is that if there's only a few high-ping players it's fine, but if there's more of them, lags become worse for everyone, even for those with low ping.

6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    It be great if you could add your full pc specs and hardware specs to your signature , this helps loads for debugging at a glance

Andi