Bug New Pit Limiter Bug

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Joe Ore, Sep 15, 2021.

1. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Interesting discussion - I admit.
    Hehe and I consider it positive that @Maskerader does behave so stubborn :)

My input with a (pour moi ;)) rather intuitive graspable picture.
    We have a car with a certain mass standing still (zero velocity) and we does try to INSTANTLY accelerate it with some rocket power of several newton ton.
    Does the car INSTANTLY start to move?
    Or?

Now we have the same car with the same mass but now moving with an increasing velocity because of the rocket power pushing - but now we suddently completely cut off the rocket power.
    Does the car now INSTANTLY move with its until now reached velocity as a steady velocity?
    Or?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Another element to add to the mix - is the speed limit penalty in the game triggered by the car´s speedo or actual velocity? EG if I do a burnout and the speedo goes up but I am not moving at that speed does the game detect my car´s real speed or does it just read the value the speedo gives?

3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    It looks like the speedometer here is a "GPS" one, it's not driven by the wheels. If I floor the gas while on grass/gravel, the speed only increases slightly while revs are hitting the limiter.

4. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    With what car did you do that test? If it was a two wheel driven one, it could be that the speedometer is measuring the non-driven wheels?

5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    It was a RWD car and yes, I thought about that too. But in that case the speedometer should show zero if I locked the front wheels under braking, but that wasn't happening.

6. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yes that is true, and no idea on which wheels the speedometer is measuring normally.
    I can imagine that a simulator uses "GPS" as speedometer.

Another check that you could do is locking up the wheels completely whilst braking on the grass. If the speedometer still shows the speed at which you are traveling it surely is a GPS based speed I would think.
    Especially if you use an older car, so no sensors that measure the speed at which the surface underneath is passing by.

7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yup, still the same on grass and gravel. The car was BMW M1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    And my thoughts on the acceleration matter:

If you were to have a solid completely non-flexing object which you are accelerating with an outside force, and then you cut the force instantaneously, the object would stop accelerating instantaneously as well. (according to the laws of physics that I learned).

But if you would apply that to a car you would get the situation as Alex describes.
    To achieve acceleration in a car, the wheels will always rotate a bit faster than the car is traveling (otherwise you won't have acceleration). That means that there will be tension in the entire drive line, accelerating the car forward.
    Cutting the power instantaneously (which I would think is impossible in a car) would still have the wheels rotating faster than the car is traveling, and during the time needed to remove the tension in the drive line and over rotation of the wheels the car will keep on accelerating very slightly, until the tension and over rotation is gone.

If I'm mistaken, please let me know :)
    I'm a chemist, not a physician

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I agree about that. However:
    1) Which of these elements and behaviour are simulated in the game?
    2) Can anyone reproduce it? I mean the car overshooting the speed limit simply because of hard acceleration, no wheelspin. Because I tried and I couldn't do it, even for 1 km/h. These are the cars I tried: FR X-17, FR US, FR90, Corvette Greenwood, Audi GTO, 134 Judd V8, Gumpert, Audi R18, ID.R. The track was Sepang, "Test drive" mode, engine map 5 if available, no TC.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  10. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Mechanical speedos are generally driven by a worm thread on the gear box

Andi

11. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Ah cool, thanks! I did not know that :)

12. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Nice facts what was here discussed about the continues acceleration after stop fuel for the engine, and how weather and track condition can influence the acceleration, but one fact is that the pit limiter needs to consider all this facts in the steering of the engine and needs to stop the fuel in the right time that the speed will never exceed the limit, because it is main job of the pit limiter that it take care that the care does not exceed bit speed limit. It was mention that in real life the engineers adapt the bit limiter parameter for every track. We as driver can not do this in this game, this can be only done by developer. So please adapt this pit limiter so, that we as driver do not take care which kind of acceleration is needed that we do not exceed the pit limit.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    and so are odometers... my car has been on 180000 kms for almost 10 years :D plastic worm screws suck

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    In real life , you have to be careful , as depassing the pitspeed slightly is always possible , so run in 2nd gear and no big inputs , its part of the drivers skill set.....

Andi

15. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Not how 99% of real world pit speed limiters work.