New to Raceroom, but not to sim racing - a little help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ndwthx1138, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Kinda a over-kill in my opinion. Save yourself some decent money and get a 1080ti. You will be wasting money, the 1080ti on a single monitor will allow you to have everything maxed out and keep fps incredibly high on any of the major sim titles I have tried (RF2, Raceroom, Assetto Corsa and Iracing). The titan only gives you another 5-8% max more fps which you you simply will not be able to perceive as I imagine you will be north of 80 fps with everything maxed out on a single 4K monitor.

The only thing I will say about the titan is it does allow for some over-clocking. I am running the gpu just over 20% from stock which will yield you more head room. But again, on a single monitor you are not going to gain anything. 1080 or 1080ti if you have extra money.

NathanW

2. Christoph

Christoph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks for the detailed information ;)
    I will then buy a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

3. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Honestly if you want to play Raceroom on a single screen don't for the love of god spend 1200 dollars on a GPU. Now maybe you're loaded and don't care about money, but raceroom is really not that damanding on the gpu. I use triple 1080p screens and VR and my 1070 is doing fine.

4. Christoph

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    In my signature you can see my system.
    It's going very well without any problems and I just wanted to reserve a little more.
    Therefore the consideration of a new GPU. But according to the contributions here, i'll reconsider.

5. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    980ti is more than enough for raceroom

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I give you a completely new reply.

There is VR first generation. But 2nd generation, 4K displays, are inevitable. From late next year on, maybe early 2019. In that range I think.

A 1080TI is a waste for RR single screen. It does not matter to your eyes and senses whether you have 90, 150 or 180 frames. Doubling frames from 18 to 36 - that will make a huge difference to your eyes. Doubling frames from 90 to 180 - well, I know people who would not even notice the difference, that meaningless to your eyes it is. And spending the costs of a 1080TI for that...? A waste.

If you do not want to go into VR right now, I would wait and save for a new system. Fast cPU, plenty of memory, and a 1080TI - and then a VR set of the second generation. I know minimum specs are claimed to be quite low by HTC and Oculus. That is because they want to sell stuff and want people therefore to believe VR headsets are within their range of owned PC hardware. But truth is you want to have stable 90 fps in VR, to minimise risk of nausea and motion sickness. And for that risk being at it lowest, you need frames to be in the high 80s or matching 90. 45 does not do the trick. 60 does not do the trick. Its 90. Some developers refuse to go for VR because they know they cannot guarantee 90 fps to be within range of their software currently. In other words you do need a PC with fast hardware. Very fast. Minimum specs are a compromise that you likely one day will regret to have accepted, because even them cost money.

If you play single screen - well, I did until two weeks ago myself, and my old i5 2500K and GTX 660 were absolutely sufficient for that, both in RR and AC. That now I use a 8700K and an overclocked 1080TI ist just because I wanted to go into VR, and did not want to wait another year.

A 1080TI right now for single screen RR and AC, is a waste of money.

Future VR will need you to upgrade your whole current system. That raises the costs of VR. Take that into account. You also maybe want to buy some performance reserves, so that you can upgrade your VR headset two years later or so without needing to replace your rig completely once again. That was a consideration of mine. If an Oculus 4K comes out lets say in summer 2019, and I wait another year for the price dropping from 1000 to 500, and then buy it in summer 2020 - two and a half years form now - I think I have a good chance that my rig still can handle that flood of additional pixels it needs to calculate then. If I am right, I must not buy a complete new PC then.

I took several months to form a buying deciison and a choice of components. Sleep over it. Take your time. Think in longer terms. If you go for a full system with solid VR capability and reserves , we are talking about a lot of money, maybe money so much that some people would need to work 3 months for that sum of money, so really - take your time. Sleep over it. Think twice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. Christoph

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    @M.Edmunds,
    thank you for your feedback ;)

8. Christoph

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    @Skybird,

also many thanks to you for the detailed info and everything understandable what you write.
    As my system runs well and very stable I leave it untouched.
    Well that gives a forum with competent guys that helps me a lot in many topics.

9. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The best option, as long as the system serves your needs. You can spend the time to prepare your transition to the next one in the future. I did like that myself, and only abandoned my old one becasue it got hardware hickups showing its age, and forseeing its approaching breakdown. I then made the big jump this time (for VR), else I would have gone with lesser hardware and cheaper costs. And if the hardware (7 years old) would have held together, I still would running it, because it was stable and ran any sim or game I threw at it, with fluid frames.

I admit however that I do not regret to have gone for VR now, and invested the additional money. Not one moment. ;) Just Windows 10 proved to be the expected PITA. Well, nothing is perfect.

6700K and GTX980 is a very well performing combo for 2D monitor running, btw, I'd say. If it works, stick with it an save the money.

10. Christoph

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    After your good advice, I will continue to use the system as follows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    This is what I use and I am totally okay with how it handles R3E.
    It's more or less stable at ~85 fps even in the starts with a full grid at Nordschleife :)

Win 10, Version 1709, OS-Version 16299.192.
    MoBo Asus Z-97A
    CPU Intel i7 4790K (Stock speed - GPU have a hard time to keep up)
    Ram 8Gb 1600Mhz
    GPU nVidia GTX-980 4GB (Stock speed)
    3x BenQ G2460 (3x 1920x1080 60hz = 5760x1080)

Graphics Setting page1.png
    Graphics Setting page2.png
    Graphics Setting page3.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  12. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    @MeMotS Slightly late only just read this thread, have you considered a Xeon 5650\60\70\80 or w36\70\80\90 series of cpu, can be picked up for dirt cheap and most will overclock to way past what you currently have with your 960 add to that 6 v 4 core, plus it will probably be a free upgrade as you would most likely sell your 960 on ebay for more than you would pay for the xeon, i used to use a 5650 that would sit at 4.4 or 4.5 all day long. Many posts about it on google.
    More cores, faster oc speed, and money back to buy the other half a bottle of wine to show how much.................

Just a thought!

• Agree Agree x 1