POLL Why don't you drive multiplayer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, Jul 15, 2017.

?

Why don't you drive multiplayer?

1. Actually, multiplayer scares me and/or i don't think i have the skills.

16 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. I don't like the pace in multiplayer people drive like they were crazy.

29 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. I have to much tecnical problem in multiplayer. Bad ping, connection loss and so on.

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. People seem to drive the same tracks and car classes all the time and/or not enough drivers.

53 vote(s)
    37.3%
  5. I will never drive multiplayer no matter what happening. I prefer to drive against AI on my own.

16 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. I will give it a try when we have a online ranking system.

17 vote(s)
    12.0%
  7. I drive multiplayer and love it...and look forward to the ranking system.

69 vote(s)
    48.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I think you're missing an option for me. I don't play multiplayer in R3E because of the following:

1-lack of triple support
    2-less than great VR implementation (i know its a DX9 thing, they did a good job with what they have but its not good enough to race)
    3-lack of penalty/clean driving system (SRS, iRacing....i like both)
    4-flags are still a bit wonky

R3E has the most potential of any sim I play (outside of iRacing), but they're a long ways away from a good multiplayer experience that is gonna challenge the top dogs. I think they would have been better served fixing some core issues.

2. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    From my experience FRx17 has a huge impact from setup changes where the other cars has relatively small impact.
    Sometime in the future i will publish a guide for FRx17 setup

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  3. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    That's a good strategy for stopping everyone from asking for your setups.:p In R3E you don't have too many options anyway, after spending 400+ hours in the game, I can create a basic setup in 20-30 seconds and finetune it later if necessary. The default settings don't work that well for me personally.

4. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Hello everybody!

Good thread you've got here. Lots of good points made, some new things we need to consider in here for sure. In general though I am pretty confident a lot of the stuff people are complaining about will be dealt with once we implement our MP stuff.

Keep the feedback coming!

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  5. nhill40

nhill40 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    As you might expect, setups also seem to be heavily car/track combo dependent.

This is all anecdotal, but for example - with the DTM '92 cars at Indy GP, I was about 1 full second faster just by applying an alleged "one size fits all" setup.

Counter example was the Merc GT3 from the ADAC Masters pack at Hockenheim National. Technically, my fastest lap was done with my own custom setup...but I was within 1 tenth of that fastest lap using the default setup! And the alleged "one size fits all" setup? About 8 tenths slower than my fastest lap!

So, yeah setups do make a big difference, but you gotta know what you're doing...and, for the most part, I do not! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    There's something I only discovered a couple of days ago.

I think like most people my server list is sorted by the number of players in a room; it's the obvious filter to find where all the action is. But the other night my mouse accidentally slipped (or something) to the bottom of the server list and I found a load of rooms full of players. But because I didn't own the tracks they were racing on they were relegated to the bottom of the server list, completely out of sight.

I think it would be a good idea for R3E to bring those rooms back to the top of the server list. If players see a full room running a track they don't own then they're quite likely to buy it. But they won't if they never get to see it. I only saw these rooms by accident....I wonder who else has never seen them?

7. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    That's a good point. We have an idea on how to do this.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if it's possible but the ability to see who's in the room and what they're driving before entering would be fantastic. Particularly useful for multi-class grids - it's a hassle to join a server and find you're the only GT3 in a field of Radicals. It would also reduce the instances of 'join-stutter'.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Holi

Holi New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm just not fast nor consistent enough to dare drive around actual people :S

10. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to add something to the setup conversation, i think good ffb settings are actually more impactful than a good car setup. This helps a lot in consistency and ends up helping the online experience in general. One problem i have (me included) is lack of consistency in laps and random losses of control. Having better ffb setup would go a long way to help improve online races.
    And just to make it clear, R3E ffb is not the problem, its just the way people set it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Zzas

Zzas Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I would also like to have the oportunity of choosing some rules when setting up races, like automatic or manual shifting, chasing camera or interior camera... sometimes, I wonder if some people is just driving around without been worried of spinning their cars because down shifting too fast, or not having shift up at all, with a big smile in their faces, pushing people out of their way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    hello there
    Actually, multiplayer scares me and/or i don't think i have the skills.
    thats my vote. for a Long time i played very rearly Racesim or Simcarde Games. Just some weeks ago i decidet to Play again.real Simracing. I watched for quite some time the virtualracing Leagues. it was a coincidence, but because of it, R3E and iRacing are well known. But i found my self here, reason is easy- Vrtcc, vrtm or vrgt3 Sounds allways like a real race. I must try. Startet the free Content.... i was in the Pit, stated the Engine... well what can i say^^ it was love in the very first Moment:D
    Well Back to Topic i really Need much more practice. OFC i get bedder and bedder each week. Not my self or for anyone enjoy a Crashtest Dummy because of a lag of Experiance. when i think iam ready, will join a Drive Club.
    I Really think there is nothing like a real sim race against other Pilots. for the Moment, some WTCC Championship and many time in practis

• Like Like x 1
  13. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I was like you, pretty slow and afraid I would go in the way of other people. And I was constantly in the last places when I first raced online (well, I still was dead last yesterday evening, probably not a good idea to jump in a race on the Nords after a 3 week hiatus because of vacation and real life issues, but that's an another story! :D)
    My point is… I improved a lot when I joined a club! First trying to follow others cars, then getting lots of advices from other drivers! I could have spend a lot more time practicing offline all by myself, I think I would never have reached the same speed (even if I'm still a pretty slow driver…). I was using the wrong line, braking too late, not paying attention to corner exit, etc. Lots of mistakes that other online drivers pointed out. As long as you race as clean as you can (and mistake will always happen, not a big deal most of the time when you try to be smart and don't ram people on purpose! :)), you will probably improve much more joining! You're right, doing races against other people is really great.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Online I've seen many people (myself included) get caught out by not realising or forgetting that the server has set the fuel and tire use to 2x or more. Perhaps it would help to include this information on the session info screen....

[​IMG]

And for an additional maybe more potent reminder how about something like this....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. OverTheLine

OverTheLine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    I guess there are pro's and con's to both, I wont babble on as many of the points have already been covered. All I will say is that when I race offline, I don't get the same feeling as I do when I race against another player online. Sure you can have some really good races with AI and the ai in raceroom is fairly good when you crank it up on the difficulty. However again I just don't get the same feeling of "I got to beat this guy" compared to when I race online, its not just Raceroom, its the same across all sims I play.

Ill also reiterate a point made earlier as well that you can learn allot from other players both in terms of their driving lines, braking points and setups (if they are willing to help which I find most are). The AI in Racing games seems to have its own logic in some respects, for example I have found many times im faster by a long shot in one sector compared to the AI, only to be pushed aside like some slug in the next (boomerang style)

Of course it can be scary playing online players, the ai wont Rage if you ram into the side of their car, you can just click restart and let it go over your head, But I kinda like that feeling. There is a consequence for your actions and that's realistic, whether your defending or attacking. Sure there is no need for abuse which I assume is what most people feared (I was worried I would just annoy people to that end when I first started), but ye you just suck up your mistakes, say sorry if you do make one and carry on, learning from it just like every other human being does with every task/new hobby they undertake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    as a fan of wtcc, dym and super gt,well some touching has to be. Everyone will win. No one will give up the line. There will be contact! For all others who like drive save like grandpa, there are openwheelers:p crashing because of rageing or iam 13 and dump as hell, crashing is so funny... Or in my case bit to much mistakes, there is a huge diffrence. Spine outs happend when two fight for points. But in sim racing i think we dont have to be so hard like some real driver from DTM, WTCC or my fav Super GT. Touring car races allways with a bit bodywrok, most just bit touching each other.