Racing against AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex Hodgkinson, Jul 11, 2018.

?

Which AI is the best to race against?

1. GTR3

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. WTCC 16/17

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. DTM 15/16

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. GTO

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Group 5

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. DTM 92

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Porsche Cup

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. BMW M235I Racing Cup

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. FR-X-17

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone.

I'd really everybody's help with a quick poll.
    Which AI is the best to race against in RaceRoom?

Any comments are welcome too!

Thanks in advance,

Alex

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    sadly I cannot give a representative answer because I mostly drive WTCC, GTR3 and DTM against AI. Other classes only hotlapping or multiplayer.

But I do enjoy racing against the AI in all of the said classes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    As I posted on RaceDepartment.com
    I have been ramping up the difficulty on the AI as my skills improve, currently at 107, and although I have not noticed a difference between classes I have noticed an issue within most sessions of the AI brake points a bit off. Or at the very least not adjusting their line, if I am in the way...too bad for me, not always obviously but often enough to get a bit peeved.
    When running with a single AI into a corner who is clearly closing the gap on me instead of taking an alternate line to pass me I get booted instead because I broke a fraction of asecond earlier than it.
    I find R3E very enjoyable, you and the team do outstanding work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I think it's hard to answer this question. I race the ai mostly in DTM 92, M 235i cup, TT cup, GTR3, NSU cup and i all like them. IMO there's no big difference between those classes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday I had a race in GTR3 class on Motegi.
    25 AI opponents and me. An AI bumped into me only one time as I was closing the door in one corner.
    Even with the AI being like 50cm behind me, they managed to not shoot me in the braking zone. Going parallel through corners was no problem either, they even went a bit on the dirt to not bump me when I was carried too much to the outside of the corner. When I made a mistake they took clever advantage and passed me very cleanly.
    AI was set to 105.
    So I really don't know what problem @Nano 10 has with the AI.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    hey nano!
    Which AI do you think is best :p
    ..I know I'm bad:rolleyes:

7. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I decided not to vote as I race mostly GT3 and WTCC so my opinion would only bias the results. I'm currently running a championship with 15 AI, 105%. It's really competitive experience. As long as I'm sure when to push and when to give up the position, it's clean.

But if there was something to improve in order to make them even more similar to human, I'd say more respectful driving. I know @Nano 10 's popular complaining about AI and I don't really support him. But one thing he is right about is the fact, that AI won't respect you if you're driving slower than it. It won't sacrifice it's lap time in order to drive safely and try to pass you the next corner staying as close as possible (like a human would do), but will probably make a contact. I know it's just a virtual code and it may be impossible to write it the way to be perfect, but if there's room for improvement, I'd say respectful driving. Not forgiving, but respectful.

Also, during this championship I noticed, that in some parts of particular tracks AIs are way under its limits. But thats a different story :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  8. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I've had races where I feel like Raceroom has one of the best AI in the business, but I've also had races that made me give up in frustration, where the AI was all over the place, either braking to late or too early or suddenly going out of their line and diving in front of me, leaving me no time or room to react (the same thing that Nano 10 is criticized for doing in some of his videos) or forcing me out of my line in corners, because I guess they really wanted that line and me being there wasn't gonna stop them.

But the GT3 and DTM16 classes gave me some of the most memorable AI races ever, even if it took me to somewhat "adapt" my lines in order for that to happen.

I would say that Automobilista AI does a very good job (since the 1.5 update) of being very competitive and fighting for every position while also being respectful and careful about how they behave near other cars, so it should be possible.

For example, in AMS I can start a practice section in a car/track I'm totally unfamiliar with, and even tough I'll be slow and probably brake too early in most corners for the first few laps, the AI wont hit me unless I do something terribly stupid. When they are behind me they drive with some care and if I brake early they simply pass me.

On Raceroom however, if I'm not familiar with the car/track combo then I have to learn it in solo practice because the AI will be brutal and drive the practice as if it was the last race of a championship and they need those point to get 1st position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    A very good observation and rating.
    Indeed, looking at behaviour of the AI, this might be the icing on the cake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    wait a minute ... I'm reading about the AI the same things that I say both in this forum and in RaceDepartment. Maybe I'm an influencer and I did not know?

I want challenging races but I also want to play without getting hit / get off the track / break the car, at other points the game is respectable especially after the big patch of yesterday.

I do not see the time in which sector 3 announces a patch where each one chooses the degree of aggressiveness that he wants and each one plays as he wants.

I totally agree with what was said about Automobilista, it is the best example of how AI should be (there are contacts but your car has the strength to continue, competitive, fairly clean, challenging, you can set the aggressiveness)

I understand that in these cases they are used:

1) as a base the betatesters give laps with the original setup (ghost laps)
    2) as his laps already contain the "human factor" the famous "breake early or late" are eliminated
    3) That is the basis then each one chooses the degree of difficulty.
    4) all happy, is the most used solution by the other simulators (and the cheapest one too)

I'm sure that in two minutes Roccote, Matt and his friends will tell me they do not like it but ..... that's life,

I just want the best for Race Room and my beloved Citroen WTCC

• Like Like x 1
  11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I have my gripes with the AI is:

they should stop fighting when in training and when they're on an outlap or inlap in qualifying.. or when they're lapped.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    well... they are supposed to model human drivers, so not much difference there haha :D

But yeah that is definitely a good point

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Yep there's nothing like an AI driver coming out of the pits, while you cross the s/f Line to start a hotlap, just to instantly fight you to death :-D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    In Pcars this is no different . Even in practice session they will fight you like hell.
    Nevertheless I had a great time this evening on the Andersorp Grand Prix layout in the Audi TT RS VLN competition. I have the AI on adaptive and after a while they really adapt. Or at least I have the idea they do. I do Like the AI much more than the Pcars AI.
    Never drove the track before but I thought I give the leaderboard challenge a go. 25th place on The leaderboard. Not bad for a start and with a moving pedalboard. Everytime I hit the brake it slides backwards. Time for a new seat.. lol..

15. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Wish I could vote for more than one. GTR 3, 92 DTM, GTO, and Group 5 are good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
  17. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    ever watched , btcc or another tintop championship , were someone new comes to the grid , they are reasonably quick , qualify well up the order etc ...
    lights go green they are in 6th place on the grid , but by turn 5 or 6 they are 20th or in the kitty litter ... why ?they are quick there lap times are solid etc
    its the same across all motorsport the other drivers expect a certain braking point , this speed through the corner etc and when it doesnt happen then the shit starts to fly and people get tapped and barged and ... you get the scenario

its the same with the AI they expect you to be of a certain level and to behave within those confines

when i test the ai because there have been changes in bop for the cars or in the Ai , its paths its overtaking etc , i start at the back i set a 25 car grid and i learn to race them again , i see what lines they take , how hard they squeeze you and will they shove there nose in there if i leave a hole ..

this way you go from being a rookie in the series to knowing the pack your racing in ...

one of my favourite combos , is auditt cup and bathurst @115% so lap times around 2:15 i have run around that track side by side through every corner , even coming over skyline and through the dipper , yep sometimes there is a touch and everything goes to shit , but this happens in real life aswell

what im trying to say is whatever you do the Ai will make assumptions and mistakes as will you , this is life ;
    so an aggression slider .... mmmmm well in real life you arrive as a rookie , and in the drivers meeting you ask everyone to be gentle with you and only to make 100% certain and clean passes .... good luck with that ill give you until turn 3 until you get slapped and told to get a grip on reality

i dont need a slider or anything else ; i race with the pack thats there , i learn the championships ; which AI is the danny ricardo , on that circuit can you stick your nose down the inside on turn 3 or will they squeeze you into the wall ?

as a beta tester , my opinion is that the Ai , if any changes are needed then it would be to give them a few more alternative lines in defence ,and a bit of % balance across the tracks , as they do perform slightly different on some tracks (but then again so do i)

sorry for the monologue

Andi

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    The AI in R3E is awesome. Really it is. I thought the AI in Pcars was great but they are no where near the AI in R3E. Big thumbs up for the developers.
    When you learn how they drive it will be a better experience then race against real humans. At least that is my opinion. They don’t get mad and will bump into you because you over took them. Or push you off the track because your brake later than them and will gain some places to the front.
    I did quit driving online becaue of all the bad behaviour of some guys/girls. It took away the fun I had.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    ive seen that in real life ; and thats bathurst so the grass is bone dry , after being covered in sticky beer

but in al seriousness , if thats you driving the other car , then maybe we should look at how the game awards penaltys for not leaving enough space for the opponents car and forcing him of track ... after all we are looking for realism

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    It's not race against the machine, rather Rage Against The Machine.:p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1