Question Racing with current AI

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by The Iron Wolf, Apr 23, 2015.

1. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    hmm ... That's not french :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ocaso Dorado

Ocaso Dorado Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    german I guess

3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hehe - yepp... that german... Her name is Andrea Kaiser: http://andreakaiser.com.de/

Ah - btw: she is the wife from Sébastien Ogier..

4. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    that woman presenter at the beginning of the video. Wish I could speak Romanian or whatever ;)

ahhhh married? ......"and then - depression set in"

5. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    The AI needs to be aware and brake on their way to pit lane!
    Just started a new ADAC GTM championship.
    And I was rammed and spun out on Oschersleben in both races of AI's that didn't see me on the way to the pit!.. . :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Same thing happened again at Red Bull Ring.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ocaso Dorado

Ocaso Dorado Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Let's hope this change with the new patch!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    To "beat a dead horse"....
    I tried training AI on Zolder circuit in the Cadillac CTSVR. After 5 complete races (and 15 others where AI kept punting me off course - 8 races in a row, I didn't even make the 2nd corner), I have them running low 1:34 laptimes.

Has anyone brought up this suggestion for AI behavior? Other than reducing aggression.
    Is there a way for the programmers to program less grip for AI cars?

This does several things:
    1. For slow AI pace, program less grip. This extends brake zones, slows cornering speeds and slows acceleration out of corners. They are still trying to run as fast as they can though.
    2. As AI adapts to a faster pace, AI cars increase grip level. This gradually shortens brake zones, increases cornering speeds and increases acceleration coming out of corners - producing faster laptimes.
    3. Great training tool for beginners and to learn new tracks. You can follow AI around and learn the track (PROPER braking zones, corner speeds, proper lines....)
    4. Most importantly, AI behaves more naturally. No more random braking, random coasting, random acceleration.
    5. = MORE FUN!
    Also, what do I have to do in order to brake as efficiently as AI?
    Already re-calibrated my DFGT brake pedal.
    I'm at my wits end trying to figure out braking. If I brake in the same brake zones (exact same car) I run into the back of AI. If I brake sooner to compensate, I get hit from behind.
    Any suggestions?:confused:

9. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    that is exactly how ai work now the higher the setting the more grip they have and that has been how ai work since the old g motor sims. If you are getting rammed from behind break earlier but more gently whats happening is your breaking early and hard which is essentially break checking the ai neither the ai nor a player will be able to avoid.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Some good ideas and a well reasoned approach. But we don't really know how the AI works from the ground up. For example I often noticed that the AI doesn't seem to have less grip when driving off the track. So maybe the AI is not physics driven at all but just trying to follow a path. The AI also often does not suffer from bumps and curbs like the player's car does. So I'm not sure if your suggestions are feasible.

We'll see what happens with the tweaked (reworked?) AI in the big patch that's being rolled out right now. Improvements have already been made in the past, so I'm quite confident that the patch will bring us at least another step forward. The video from the dev stream on Suzuka was looking good.

The AI behaviour has been in discussion for quite some time already. I had my share over at RD too. I'm happy that the discussion here is way more civilised and technical. :)

11. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    1.the ai is physics driven but the physics is simplified so in certain situations they behave quite different to a player.
    2.the speed settings are achieved by a combination of driving "traits" (how much throttle and when.) and altering the physical "values" that the ai abide by(how much grip the ai has).
    3.the patch will tweak the driving "traits" so that the ai coast and steer more like a player instead of being constantly on the gas or throttle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. CirKan

CirKan Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    One of the things that could be improved is that now; all cars have a very similar pace. It would be more realistic if groups with different paces are generated.

13. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    yes! I would love a 'live for speed' style custom grid options.

14. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I am guilty of "just complaining" over on RD. After I saw the live stream, I realized there are real people working real jobs with real lives trying to make our virtual gaming world more enjoyable. Improvements from customer feedback don't happen overnight. Basically, I was unceremoniously criticizing someone's work, someone's final product - that they took pride in making. We wouldn't have this sim if the people at Sector3 had not created it. In business, I always tell my people "Don't just complain about something, discuss it, and suggest/provide solutions". I don't know how I got away from that principle....over a game? :rolleyes:

@shardshunt
    So you're saying AI drives more like Michael Schumacher.
    I saw a program or commentary regarding his car telemetry compared to other drivers. It was interesting. Apparently he was either on the gas or the brake and coasted the least out of all the other drivers.

regarding Pace: A thought occurred to me....
    If you set up a racing grid with 3 or 4 groups of cars with differing paces and mixed the individual cars in the grid, you should get decent AI racing as the faster cars try to move forward. Yes, as the race progresses, especially the latter stages, they will bunch together in different groups (1 slow car is enough to cause a group of them to bunch up). But, doesn't that happen in real racing too? As long as I'm out front....:D

But I know nothing about physics or programming. So I don't know what is and what isn't possible. I just press the little pieces of plastic on the floor with my feet and turn the wheel when my eyes say something isn't right (or left). ;) But it's soooo much fun!

15. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Drived'...
    but no not really I wish it was that simple.