The new adaptive AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paradox Agi, Apr 18, 2016.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    There is some truth to that as I had stopped playing the game around September due to lake of time and my troublesome old PC and only just recently started playing again.

@fsuarez79 I agree that the majority of those incidents he is showing in the videos are due to his poor driving and lack of situational awareness butas I stated previously; I've tried to replicate his bad driving with AI set way above my ability and wasn't able to duplicate his experience. All in all the AI behaved themselves remarkably well save just a few really really bad moves on my behalf that you would never expect AI or even a real driver to avoid. To be honest after doing that bit of testing I'm even more impressed with the AI and congratulate Sector3.

Your 4 points in your post are very good advice regardless and by following your advice his experience against the AI will be much better regardless if the AI is bugging out a little due to an overworked CPU.

[edit]
    oh my LOL ...I just read the thread over at the RaceDepartment forums; I can understand why every one is getting a little frustrated with this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It is not a problem of:

1) driving style
    2) knowledge of the circuit
    3) practice
    4) hardware
    5) number of opponents
    6) series
    7) AI difficulty (prove all)

Like a lot of players who complained about the same the game was born with many problems of aggression and three years later could not be resolved.

Look up previous topics of AI. A LOT of players saying "aggressive aggressive aggressive"

I know many players that tired sector 3 never heard their complaints left the game.

That's why the proposal to incorporate a slider % AI aggression is a VERY good idea.

It`s an excellent opportunity to improve the community of players and each one chooses their level

You wait for more videos..........and yes more videos.

13 and 14 with "3" bots. Totally disappointed reinstalled the game from zero and it happened .... video 15

It is clear my intention is to improve the game because in other aspects especially force feedback is very good

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    @Nano 10
    Video 13
    The AI was coming up fast behind you and you broke way earlier then the AI catching it by surprise, a real driver would have done the same thing. Remember that AI don't have super brakes...they still need room to be able to react

Video 14
    The AI behind you is clearly a lot faster; when you ran out wide he started to pass on the inside and you then dropped down to his lane. If you had better situational awareness you should have let him through

Video 15
    Same as above

All I can say is wow!
    You've given enough evidence in your 15 videos to prove otherwise and only agree/listen to those who support/suit your agenda. You really are not looking for help...just something to blame.

Dang I wish I would have learnt your lesson earlier and save myself some time

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    When i say Sector 3 do not listen to the players (few examples 2017 and now is the same)

Jamesr said (2017/10):

After about 10 attempts to get in a clean WTCC race at Portimao, I think I'm going to take an extended break from this sim. I can't deal with the weird ass crash physics and AI ramming anymore. I'm qualifying on pole only to get taken out from behind repeatedly. This has been a problem for YEARS, guys. My patience has run out.

Between a job, family responsibilities, etc, my time to race is limited as it is, and I can't stomach getting crashed out by AI idiocy in the last few laps of a race again. Message me when you fix this someday and I'll come back.

Vampire said (2017/09)

This and the anime pinball physics when you touch an AI car is ridiculous. I mean just fluff your braking point a little and dab the back of the AI car and whoooosh you are spinning off into the barrier at 20g - if it wasn't so frsutrating it would be hilarious.

I would just be happy if the AI didn't drive into you for no reason whatsoever - no divebombing/no cutting off or being silly..just driving normally around a track and not having cars running into you! If I wanted that I would just play online or iRacing lol.

Andi Goodwin said (2017/09)

Now the cars i struggle with
    i ran the AI at 115% and got killed in every braking zone ; exit etc

David Perez said (2017/08)

I do have some issues with the AI in Raceroom, mostly related with AI cars driving right into me at full speed because I slowed down for some reason, even though they came from far away and should have had plenty of time to react, and other times related with AI cars coming right beside me and push themselves against my car, trying to muscle me out of their way, when it was them that drove into my line rather than the other way around.

Tscan2004 said

Just bought the Premium Pack yesterday and , while it's fun, very frustrating. Constantly getting rammed from behind. I can't say how much is my fault since I'm not familiar with the AI but having Damage set to OFF is a must until things get sorted out. I'll have to adjust to Braking/Acceleration for myself and the AI.

I think it's incredible that sector 3 has not fixed the problem and there are people who blame players for problems with VERY aggressive AI. And it is not a minor problem it is a real problem.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Better late than never. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    @Nano 10
    .....AND all those comments you quoted were posted prior to the November update, and are all problems that could be solved by listening to similar advice what @fsuarez79 gave. That Novemeber update shows that Sector3 listened and responded. Having not played for many months I certainly noticed the difference

By the way: You say you want an AI Aggression slider......The game actually has one but it's called AI Strength.
    As many have told you before turn that down and it will solve a lot of your problems.

@CheerfullyInsane
    There must be a bug in this forum as my ignore list didn't work! It's not my fault I swear.
    Hang on....what I need to do is add an aggression slider to my ignore list!

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Matt two slider need the game:

1) AI Strength
    2) AI Aggression

Like most racing games since.........2004

8. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ..... that have uninspiring, unchallanening, easy to intimidate, lifeless AI that gets really boring fast

9. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    XRNj5.gif Oh no

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Matt you're totally wrong GTR2 is a lot better in AI than Race Room, really challenging but it's not dirty.

I find it hard to understand why sector 3 removed the AI aggression option

12. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Gosh darn AI aggressiveness. Why would it do such a thing?

:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I use Adaptvie AI before, don't llke it, and now I use 100% for AI, and I am happy about it, quite consistent performance across few tracks in Bathurst, Shanghai, Suzuka. I have so many wheel to wheel action

The thing that let me down is in few corners on the track, the AI brakes too early, for example, Macau hairpin.
    Using Adaptive AI in here is not accruate, and will result in "very very fast AI" in other tracks, and AI will bump it to you in other tracks.

I think fixing the slow AI issue in certain corners will fix the adpative AI.

14. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    benoityip

It`s very common that you have problems in the braking zones because the bots have a robotic behavior (too early or too late).

The player tries to slow down and accelerate progressively (as it should be in normal races) while the bots is the opposite so there are so many accidents.

It is clear that it is not a driving problem. It is a serious failure of the AI

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    This isnt quite how the adaptive AI feature works.

The adaptive AI will only adapt when you use a specific car at a specific track, and this combo will not have any affect whatsoever if you race a different car at a different track.

For example, let's say you drive a Volvo from the WTCC 17 class at Hungaroring with the adaptive AI. If you start another race immediately after that one with Group 5 cars at Slovakiaring, the previous results from the WTCC race will not affect this Group 5 race at all.

So, every class/track combo is separate.

The thing you have to understand when using the adaptive AI though is... if you have never driven a certain car on a certain track, there will be no data logged for the AI to adapt to your pace. You need to use a car/track combo a number of times and do a few full race sessions for the AI to figure out your pace, so it can adapt to you.

And that can be pretty time consuming since you need to drive a car/track combo a number of times before the adaptive AI is matching your pace without being too slow or fast. So that's one reason I just use a fixed difficulty % and not the adaptive AI. Much simpler and I am able to fine tune the AI to be exactly as fast as I need them to be for a good race.

16. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Slight misunderstanding here. The Adaptive AI isn't any different than the Fixed AI.
    All the AAI does is pick an AI level based on your previous lap-times, that's it.
    But the in-race AI, whether you run Fixed or Adaptive is exactly the same.

Wrong. The AAI not only keeps track of all the specific combos, it also keeps track of your average of both car and track and uses that as a starting point when necessary.
    So if e.g. you take a GT3 out on Zhuhai for the first time, the AAI will look through your data-file for all the different tracks you've used GT3s on and use the average AI level as the starting point.
    Same with a running a new car on a given track. The AAI will use the average of all the classes you've previously used on that track as the starting point.
    And the AAI also collects data from races you've done with Fixed AI
    So all in all, the more races you do, the faster it'll adapt.
    The only time you have to start from scratch is if you've deleted your index-file for some reason.

Not to put too fine a point on it, before this thread moved into tin-foil territory, the first 14 pages or so were actually dedicated to precisely this subject. :D

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  17. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    About that, maybe it's about time Nano starts his own (pointless) thread regarding aggressive AI and go back to discussing AAI here. Js

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kendoslow

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Please God no

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you are correct here. I was trying to keep it fairly simple because once you get into explaining some of the finer details like this, someone might think to themselves, "I havent driven this car in 16 months, but the adaptive AI is supposed to use this ancient result as a starting point, so therefore it should know my exact pace at some other track when i try it out!" :D

Simply stating that you need to run a specific car/track combo multiple times before the AI will match your pace seems to work better for me when explaining it.

20. kendoslow

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Considering all the other explanations offered do you really think that this is the one that'll convince him.:D