Tracks without distance/braking markers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Azfalt Raser, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I noticed tracks without distance/braking markers (200, 150, 100....).

I just added Silverstone to my tracks inventory and was disappointed to find there is minimal distance markers (I think a few 50meter boards). Then I watched some real laps, on youtube, and saw that they had a full complement of braking distance markers.

Is that a trend that will continue with updated tracks and future tracks?
    Or something that was left out to meet a deadline?
    and put back in, in the future as time allows?

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    In Formula 1 for example, they often place additional brake markers that aren't being used otherwise. Looking at Silverstone trackday videos, the track normally doesn't feature any brake markers, so that's what Sector3 reproduced.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Cuba

Cuba Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Can you add the markers in the race options? The screen that allows you to set AI difficulty etc had an option for turn markers. They are big Green, Yellow and Red markers with arrows to indicate a turn and distance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't used those in a very long time (over a year), so forgot about it.

I love that Silverstone track!!!:cool:

5. Cuba

Cuba Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    No problem! I spent all night on Silverstone, so glad to see it in Raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Think coloured markers is in graphics or hud options ? At work :( so can't verify but look there its near the bottom of list IIRC

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    There are no braking markers as far as I can see and no option in the menus, I have every setting on high/max/ultra so if there were some on higher settings they would be on, not something that bothers me too much.
    To be honest once you know a track well you don't really need them as on occasions you cant see markers if you have cars alongside into a braking zone so its always best to find your own markers for those occasions and don't rely solely on the boards, most races online they get taken out anyway so you really do need to find alternative markers.

8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I didn't notice this but now that you mention it....I always just use whatever is there, curbs, other signs, etc. For this track it kinda felt like there were a lot of intuitive markers that could be used, especially the start and end of curbs. Then again, I'm not that fast either!

I've never liked using the overlay markers, one more thing to remind me I'm not a real race car driver :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    @Cuba If you want big silly coloured markers (fake) braking markers go in video settings scroll to bottom about third line up "corner markers" on or off

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Neil Bateman

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    That's just the directional arrows not brake marker boards I think.

11. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Yes but its what cuba was asking for

12. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    They are also coloured for braking

13. Neil Bateman

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    sorry thought he asked about 150/100/50 M boards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    All good you could set graphics to 8k but if markers are not on track then they are not on track only option is horrible corner markers , personally like stated earlier i use my own (details in track etc)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Neil Bateman

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    This always happens after a late shift, I should sleep first then read the forum.:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    On thought I like the 200-50 meter/yard break signs I rarly use them I find marker on track side, like a comercial signs ending or start, a curb edge, or something along side the track that give me a indication where to start breaking and then usualy I try how far beond that I can break and still make the turn so I now have a late breaking point too.. But that is how I do it on all track and of cause a 100meter or yard sign is always welcome on the side of the track make it alot easier and faster to find those break points.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    In Raceroom, some tracks have the 200-50 meter boards. Some tracks don't. :(
    I think Mid-Ohio has up to 400 or 500 yard (?) boards.

But we can use the original "green, yellow, red, directional-distance" markers in the settings.
    You know?...the big colored signs that alot of people complained about in the early builds of Raceroom.
    They have come in handy now! ;)

Instead of finding a mark on the track or a sign or a blemish on the grass. I just use my depth perception in games. When you're driving in traffic, some of those marks are blocked by other cars. Maybe that's why I'm so terrible. :p
    So, those distance markers helped alot to learn a new track.

After watching more youtube videos, one thing I find funny is the directional markers at the edges of the tracks for the professional racing series. As if they don't know which direction the track goes. :D
    Blancpain Endurance series, Porsche cup... gave me a chuckle.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    If Im not mistaken... i think these are actually measuring feet. (3 feet = 1 yard ~ 1 meter).

I agree with the assessment by @majuh earlier though. A lot of those braking markers you see on the tracks when races are broadcast are actually only there when specific racing series appear at the track. They dont always appear there normally. And RR seems to not model their tracks entirely for a specific series having a race weekend there.

Some places are quite difficult to judge though, like the NGK chicane at Nurburgring. There are brake markers there, but they are way off to the side of the track, so you cant really see or use them at all. And there arent any natural brake markers near the actual braking zone there to judge your mark either :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cuba

Cuba Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Andy, but I was only answering the OP, I don't need/use them ;)

20. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Either I'm doing something wrong or the big colored markers aren't showing up :(. Maybe those colored markers aren't in the newer tracks? No matter. There are just some tracks I could drive every day (Silverstone/Nurburgring/Spa...) regardless of how the course is marked. :cool:

As for yards and Meters 150 meters = 164 yards, so there is alittle difference.
    I found that out in Australia, when I was playing golf at Royal Melbourne. The marker says "150"....why do I keep coming up short?:confused:!!! Of course the guys I played with weren't going to tell me (since they had a secret advantage o_O) :D
    For you golfers out there - to me - Royal Melbourne was like the Australian version of Augusta National. Absolutely stunningly beautiful and perfectly manicured. It was such a privilege to be invited to play there.:):):)

• Funny Funny x 2