Wheels vs Controllers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by w4nn13, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Xbox 360 wireless controller here. R3E's controller support out of the box is very good.

2. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's just my driving that's rubbish...It's a shame there's no default XBox One Controller profile, though, as I had to go through some hoops to set it up (I basically edited the keyboard profile and overrode the keyboard settings for steering, throttle, brake and gear shift, and look back/left.right and a few other functions, using Paradox Ali's settings, and assigned them to my controller but left the rest a alone), though it's working okay now.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Do you get any rumble feedback with the 360 controller, I don't with my XBox One Elite controller. If so, when does it kick in, and is it useful at all? I find the sounds very useful to help "read" what's going on with the car, as there's no FFB with a gamepad.

4. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    With my wired Xbox 360 controller I only get rumble on the curbstones or when I am offtrack

5. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so not when losing grip or locking up the wheels?

6. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I do get rumble feedback. I had to use a Steam guide and download a driver to get it working with my third-party wireless dongle. There's a related guide for Xbone controllers, you can try giving that a shot if you haven't yet. I can't post links yet (or even sneaky URLs, clever forum), but you'll find them both if you Google "Enable force feedback rumble for Xbox360 Controller" (the Xbone guide is linked at the bottom of the 360 guide).

It's not as nuanced as Forza's to let me know about the traction, but I can't remember enough to say now. @Raaf might be right. It's one of those subconscious things that I'm not aware of enough after the fact (unless it's really outstanding, like Forza or Rallisport Challenge 2). In any case, it feels weird when it's not working (i.e. when the controller batteries are too low), so I at least miss it when it's not there.

7. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I can't say for sure.

I am still so bad at driving with a controller that I rarely are at the point of losing grip without getting off track :eek:

8. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I paid attention this evening and I get rumble in both cases. The rumble will come on before the tires start to squeal, so you get an early warning. Losing grip, locking up, power over, shift lock, all set my controller vibrating.

9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, thanks. It's a shame I can't seem to get rumble working with my XBox One Controller, I've even tried installing this Force Feedback Driver for XBox One, but still nothing: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/541907867790900215/