With "new physics" for FR3, FR2 and BMW 235i, what are we supposed to feel different?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Jul 7, 2021.

Tags:
?

Are you able to feel any differences when the physics are updated on a car?

Poll closed Jul 22, 2021.
  1. Yes, they are obvious

70.4%
  2. Somewhat

18.5%
  3. Not at all... What physics update?

11.1%
  1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    When the patch notes mention "new physics" or "physics review" (see RaceRoom Patchnotes Thread | Page 8 | Sector3 Studios Forum) what does it mean exactly?

What would an end user feel differently? improved body weight transfer/roll, more realistic suspension, traction loss? I've driven those recently updated cars and I cannot feel anything different?

Can anyone explain what improvements are we supposed to get out of the updated physics?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    For all the people who responded "Yes, they are obvious", please describe how the car does drive better or how the physics improvement are being felt via the FFB?

3. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I think you basically listed main differences. I don't have technical knowledge to properly write this all down, but I'll try my best.

I'd say most important is how tire looses and regains grip. Previously it was too binary - to be fast you had to overdrive a car and more often than not use some weird setups that shouldn't work. Tire temperature dynamics are also lacking in old physics iterations - they kinda are there, but there is no much you can do with them and they don't affect car behavior in meaningful way. Weight transfer also doesn't seem to matter too much. I recently tried KTM X-Bow and I think it's currently best example of those issues with cars on older physics. And with more aggressive setup it gets even worse, despite the fact that your laptimes improve.

When it comes to BMW M235i, it was actually not that bad, I think it was last car released before Alex joined the team. The difference in behavior is not that pronounced like in other cars, but when I tried to take corner how I used to I just went straight into gravel. FR2 I did not touch for couple of years, but without hard feelings, and I straight up hated FR3. That one on old physics felt like it had wood for tires.

It's hard to say how different they feel on FFB now, since FFB is brand new.

If you want to have nice comparison in future, I'd pay attention FR X-17, since it seems to be next in line to receive update. And maybe FR US, but that's just my speculation.

4. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the great explanation and thanks @Alex Hodgkinson for the actual work improving the physics modelling :)

5. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Good question. The cars you mentioned (FR2, FR3, 235i) were approached as a total clean start. Everything from previous iterations went in the bin and was started from scratch. It's important to consider a few things at this stage. Firstly a lot of cars have been updated already, so providing you're used to them there should be no big surprises with any newly updated cars. The BMW M235i for example can be considered a baby M4 GT4. If you're used to the M4 the 235i should feel very familiar. Likewise the tyre behaviour of the FR2 & FR3 is very similar to the Tatuus F4 so there isn't any need to adapt a vastly different driving approach. The single seaters are designed broadly to behave like progressively faster versions of the same thing.

Regarding what is actually updated, I'll list a few of them off the top of my head:

Tyres

- Sidewall & tread flex
    - Slip curves
    - Camber reactions
    - Heating/cooling behaviour
    - Degradation behaviour
    - Vertical stiffness & damping
    - Pneumatic trail

Aerodynamics

- Lift/drag ratios
    - Aero map
    - Yaw behaviour
    - Dirty air behaviour
    - How much affect settings have

Brakes

- Inertia of brake components
    - Torque (braking power)
    - Temperature affecters
    - Heating/cooling behaviour
    - Wear rates
    - Failure

Engine & drivetrain

- Torque curves matched to real dyno plots
    - Inertia of engine's rotating components
    - Flywheel & gearbox inertia
    - Gear ratios matched to real data

Miscellaneous

-
    Weights of components, eg. suspension wishbones
    - Wheel and driveshaft inertias
    - Differential settings
    - Setup adjustment ranges set accurately

Suspension

- Components and their joints placed in correct locations
    - Kinematics (motion of components) tuned to match real behaviour
    - Dampers tuned profusely

There are many more items and details but those are the main areas. Setting out the main parameters is the easy bit which takes several days. The many weeks of fine tuning is where is gets tricky and obviously much more time consuming.

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • Useful x 1
  6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about FR3 or FR2 but FR X-17 feels horrible. Never felt good before or after the new update. Its dull, it super stiff at high speeds, then it has some weird extreme loose steering feeling when turning corners. Its a shame, used to love this car.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    FRX-17 hasn't had any major updates.. ever

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Did FR X-17 get an update? Don't think so.

9. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Wow!!! Thanks @Alex Hodgkinson. I was not expecting "updated physics" to translate into such a long of a list of items. Thank you for the full explanation, it makes perfect sense now. I hope the plan is to update every single car class with those amazing improvements. Keep up the great work... RRE is now my top simulator.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  10. MP4-25

MP4-25 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to rollback the June update through Steam to compare/contrast the previous ffb with the new?

With my current TM TX, and previous decent wheels, for years (since Race 07 in fact) vibrations and tire scrub on slip angles were the best of all 5 of my sims when playing RRRE and its ancestors.

Since July 1st, and after modifying all my control settings to prevent clipping, the amazing "feel" of Raceroom is gone.

Don't wish to appear ungrateful or dismissive of the dev work as RRE still has many attributes ahead of the other 5..

Attached Files:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    No.

12. VFX Pro

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Don't despair, perhaps tyre scrubbing and other previously available effects might come back as physical or simulated effects at a later point. After all, this the 1.0 of this next generation FFB. So far, this next generation FFB offers a hugely superior foundation to build upon at a later date.

• Like Like x 1