FFB Update Discussion Thread (June 2021)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Thomas Jansen, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Paul Ackroyd

Paul Ackroyd New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I backed up my setups but haven't restored them yet. Yesterday I only drove on saved setups and today I have only run default.
    Not exactly scientific but consistent with your thinking ravey1981.

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    For the record, they recommended to reset old profiles, and thats what I did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I didn't do reset of old profile. How do I do that?

4. Paul Ackroyd

Paul Ackroyd New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Aha, the value of reading the release notes comes to light!

5. Paul Ackroyd

Paul Ackroyd New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Here you go

6. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yup I deleted my whole raceroom profile and started again
    With the new ffb and tripple screen functions it took very little time to do and wow what a difference it made!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    If you're talking about this line:
    I think they mean loading a default profile for your device and binding all your controls and buttons from scratch, instead of simply using you old profile.

8. Pullblox

Pullblox Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    A very strange conclusion. In my case, new ffb changed the game for the better, but not as it did affect the feeling of the weight of the car. I even had to downgrade ffb multiplayer for cars compared to the old ffb. I use Thrustmaster TS-XW.

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Dont split words, you know what I mean by "resetting old profiles". What they said in the readme, thats what i did. Switching to default settings. Better choice of words?

10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That's certainly the best option.

Throughout testing we also just reused our existing profiles as the game should keep binds and reset the rest of the ffb to defaults. This worked as it should for us but obviously when you scale it up to thousands of users things don't always work perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Bulld0gUK

Bulld0gUK Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Deleting what's in documents/simbin folder fixed my triple screen camera issue (every car camera fixed to the floor, roof or bottom of the seat, couldn't reset the view). I definitely wouldn't be going down the reinstall route as a first option though

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I deleted the MyDocuments/simbin folder just to make things sure, then remapped keys and all the hazzle, increased values for the FFB, the few there are I mean, had wobble in the steering wheel, reduced motor vibration again to cure, and drove.
    Not much change. If any. While driving, i thought of clouds being blown by the wind. That light it felt.
    The good feel of solid mass, mass, is somewhat gone. I get some nimble tiny feedback effects for which I could not care less.

Thats it for today. I put it aside for some days or weeks, and then see again.

P.S. It reminds of an old debate. There always have been people who switched off many FFB axis/options/variables just so to get a pure feel of pure physical force feedback as calculated by the interaction tire-tarmac. That way, the steering was hilarously light, like an cheap wheel loaded with a soft, cheap spring and no FFB, while these wanted effects stood out. Purists called this "realistic". I never agreed. Its neither realistic to exclude a ton of feedback things, nor is it immersive. Immersion is important for me. A "feel of mass" of the car, weighing several hundred kg, btw, is relevant. Its not a seagull soaring in the wind.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  13. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Same here. I did the same and nothing changed. Fortunately I did a folder backup before.

Why not give us the option to return to the previous functional FFB? How hard can it be?

14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I have just tested the TCR.
    I noticed zero understeer.
    Only the curbs and bumps. Nothing more.
    And understeer is what I perceive. But zero understeer.

Sorry to say, but I too would be in favour of the option of reverting to the old FFB.
    Unfortunately.,,

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    They're all set to zero, it's still there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    If it's available in your wheel driver you can add some interpolation/smoothing to get rid of it.

17. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I've set it to the max in my case and still experiencing the same issue.

18. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  19. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I have Thrustmaster TMX and just tried the new update. Default settings. With the M235i, I had the best run around Nords ever, which amazed me. I could probaly bump the multiplier up a notch or 2, but FFB graph looked about right.
    Then I had a GT3 race in the older 911GTR at Watkins Glen. Had a blast working through traffic, no crazy moves by the AI. Might need to tinker a bit with each car, but I think I am enjoying driving more now. The new UI is real good too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    That is true and maybe the problem is that the developers do not know which curbs are which on some tracks. I have the most experience on track at Mid-Ohio IRL. There are a few curbs there that will give you a jolt through the steering wheel if you hit them. Entering the Keyhole the curb on the inside is tough if you hit the beginning of it. That applies on both the Full and Chicane course. In the chicane you get some real vibration when crossing both the short curbs on the left. Coming out of the Carousel there is a big bump at the beginning of the inside curb going on to the pit straight. Even some of the rumble strip like curbs tend to vibrate the wheel and pull you towards them a bit if you get on them. Minor details but this is supposed to be a racing SIM so the minor details are what makes the difference between a driving game and a driving sim.

The canned curb effects might not have been ideal but they did provide a level of feedback that is almost totally missing now. Overall, I really like the new FFB. The lack of curb feel and no collision effects are disappointing however.

Admittedly, I use an older, entry level wheel so maybe it is just a case of I need to spend over a thousand dollars to upgrade my experience. If that is the case then I will just have to adapt to not feeling certain things or hope the Devs have a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021