AI annoyance at Watkins Glen.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nedimmb, Aug 3, 2022.

1. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I really need to rant about this, because it happens at times and it is infuriating. Normally I do not have problems with the AIs and I normally adore R3E. But sadly when this happens, I am on verge of giving up completely with R3E. Here is an explaination on what happens.
    I normally race with skill level 100. I also have no problems racing against the AIs at that level and I can always match them. But then there is the track Watkins Glen which suffers from this brutally annoying glitch regardless of which layout we are speaking about, but I will use the layout "international circuit with chicane". With the GTR3 cars as an example, I can make lap times at around 1:45:5s or something at my best. But then comes an AI driver at skill level 100, being able to produce lap times at 1:44!!!! Think of this, you want to race AI drivers and have a good time but then comes one which produces a lap time and gets an alien type pace from nowhere which can almost get compared to an esports event. Not only have I caught this with GTR3s. This also has happened with the 911 cup car, GTR4s and Zonda R. I went forward on Discord and Steam to report this. All I ever get told is: delete the file "aiadaption" which I have done but it still happens!!! And then some developers claim to me that they have tested this but never had this issue even when I have shown proof of when this happens. I do not want to throw bad things on you dear developers but when this issue happens, then you really need to do something about it. You really need to make a complete patch on the AIs at Watkins Glen. I can also notify you that circuits like Monza, Nurburging, Suzuka, Portimao and Hockenheim had this similar problem but thanks to your good work it is gone. Please patch this annoying problem at Watkins Glen which is my favourite circuit. It is also even more strange that your recent releases Donington and Interlagos dont have this issue but Watkins Glen has after years of being released. Thanks from me

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What exactly is the issue you're talking about?

All AI is faster at 100 skill level? It's a somewhat known issue that AI has different pace on different tracks. If I'm not mistaken there was a thread about it where we can report it.
    Or there's one AI driver that is much faster than all the others, which happens at around lap 3? This is a known issue too.

Also, "aiadaptation" file has nothing to do with fixed AI skill.

3. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    An aiadaptation file is made after a fixed race, sometimes after some while it can get corrupted and mess things up.

@nedimmb
    We are investigating the issue.
    It happened to me at Brno with 100% AI, but not with 104%.

Can you please check Watkins glen with 104?

You can also check 100% in a practice, with an session with a deleted aiadaptation file.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  4. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I had the same issue at Watkins Glen in the NSU at (I think) 106 strength.
    Main difference was that they were much faster at the back straight. +/- 0.3 seconds I would say.
    No matter what I changed about the setup, I couldn't match their pace there.
    With slipstream I could just about keep up with them

5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Does it affect AI pace at a fixed AI skill level?

6. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    It´s not clear, still having mixed results

7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    We try to level ai pace based on a bit of research (real life/alien lap time) and an old piece of hardware ...... me (this is then re checked against certain users laps on leaderboards as a control and reajusted after)
    Now there are things that you need to understand , there will be always variations in how well you drive certain tracks , i know i have tracks i struggle on

So basically we have a ai percentage we aim for , and give it a target lap time , based on the criteria above
    So for your watkins pace , you may be a bit slow on that track

Please also be aware of what ppeter said , as we have found a slight issue with times between users
    Andi

8. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    What actually happens is, mostly the leading AI driver gets: a massive pace advantage, much more cornering speed, better acceleration & handling and even when hitting the wall no reduction in speed + still being able to get that unrealistic fastest lap.

9. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    When that doesnt happen, the AIs will do lap times at around 1:46 at the international circuit with chicane while driving GTR3. Do not forget that I mentioned about not having problems keeping up with the AIs at the same difficulty on majority of the circuits. This also includes Macau and the recent two tracks(Sao Paulo & Donington)

10. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    @nedimmb Are you aware you can set up AI skills above 100?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  11. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Always, always at 100. Not above

12. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Ah yeah, that's a known bug: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ai-mid-race-speed-up.16200/
    Happens on many different tracks, so it's not a Glen or Suzuka problem.

13. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    why?

14. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Sure. But I don't work for Sector3 so I don't know why it wasn't fixed yet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    No worries. But I am just infuriated at this nonsense.

17. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    From my experience, If such alien AI times happen, it is always the leader, at about earliest lap 2-3, when he already has a small gap to p2. Or an AI is dead last due to a mistake. The leader case happens at about 30% of the races. The dead last case happens much more often, nearly every time. Without having logged it, it happens at any tracks or at least most of them. Aai or fixed AI does not matter.

18. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Mmmmm

Now , this ...... the ai adaption /ai file can get corrupted and give wierd results
    Also there is some other funky stuff going on , that we are investigating at the moment

Andi

19. nedimmb

nedimmb Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I so hope you will investigate this. Even in simcades this doesnt happen and all AIs are really well programmed

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Lol

Andi

• Funny Funny x 1