Ai is too aggressive in my opinion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frodesa, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Did yesterday an 20 min Race on Silverstone GP with GT Masters 2015 drivers.

Pushed one time from the track (drop from 1st on 4th position) after 5 minutes, after this incident i was pushed aprox 3-4 times more and was only able to stay on track because of my worldwide known driving skills. :)

Yes, i think its a bit to aggressive.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I got in an hour race against the GT3s at Bathurst last night, not once did I think they were aggressive. Again it's all relative to the individuals preferences and why a system without the 'Option' of User Fine Tuning just doesn't work.

3. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    How?

4. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    You should have used your advice for your "timeattack"-thread ;)

I think it's that file you have to delete:
    "C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Documents\my games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1\aiadaption"
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
  6. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I just had a 20min AI Race with the Audi Quattro in the GTO class at Zolder... and I have to admit here feels the Aggressiveness very different than in GT3! :confused: AI was set fix at 102%, like always.
    I felt just like AI was making absolutely no effort in trying to avoid contact with me... Either you're the one who cuts down, or there will be an accident. :eek:
    Why such big behaviour differences on different classes? o_O

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I've had that too. Forced a pass in one corner and he forced it back two corners later in an almost identical move.:cool: It was a real fight to get buy, as it seem more determined to hold it's position. Made for great racing and left a smile on my face.:) But I may also be wishfully projecting:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. lrystedt

lrystedt Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    For me it felt like the didnt even see me, running right into me a straight. Kind of "Oopps, didnt see you. No worries, see the bend over there? Ill push you again right there."... Just a feeling that they didnt try as much to avoid me as avoiding the other ai??

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    My human players improvement wish list.

1. - Humans that don't brake far too early so that I have no chance to avoid a collision.
    2. - Humans that don't think they're alone on the track. Yes, we AIs cannot turn into thin air like some people wish.
    3. - Humans that don't think that collisions are worse for them. AI has feelings too.

sry, couldn't resist.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Seriously, turn them down 2 to 5 % and try again. These are after all bots. Slow them down a bit and learn there behavior.
    Anytime there is an update to the AI, I set them to 90% and follow them around for a couple of races to learn their race lines.
    In real life, racing pilots have to learn how different people act on the track in order to compete. All drivers have their own habits of behavior. It's not much different here. Slow down a bit and learn how your competitors are driving. Then turn them back up and go for it. The biggest change as I've seen it. Is that they reach top speed on the straights and most of the changes are in the corners. if you are getting bumped, your breaking too soon for your setting. They can only compensate so much. Then you will get bumped.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Huh? Where is the post I was referring to? Now my post seems stupid without this context :-(

12. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Something like that?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. lrystedt

lrystedt Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Spot on! :)

But really, I feel that the adaptiveai was better before. Whats the use if it doesnt adapt?

14. lrystedt

lrystedt Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    First, I'm not a "real" race driver, I don't claim to be a fantastic driver and I don't believe I would even be able to handle a real race car. Now with that out of the way, from what I've seen from watching real races on tracks and television... a driver is not allowed to push the opposition away by brute force or crash into, no matter how slow that car is. AdaptiveAI should imho see that if iÍ brake; that would be a good time to either brake or pass me on the side, not continue flat out to their own breaking points. That brings me to the second part:
    At the track Raceoom Raceway Bridge, AI is breaking earlier, harder and longer than I do in every bend except for one. The very last and very sharp turn before the finish. There is now way I can break like they do or where they do it, when trying I'm either locking the breaks or going for a scenery tour.
    If I break where I feel comfortable to be able to clear the turn I get smacked in the behind sending me leaping forward, spinning, crashing the wall or all of the above.
    Even if well into the corner AI still don't care, they quite merrily give me everything from a small tap to the above mentioned.

That doesn't feel just very adaptive and it tbh, getting griefed and divebombed by the AI... just isn't fun.

15. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The adaptation the AI does is foremost around your lap times. The AI % is basically dynamically adjusted to your laptime, there is an entire thread dedicated to that topic how to get the most out of it.

The behavioral part, the immediate reaction to others, is a different aspect, and is in constant development, some aspects improve others degrade, it's a very hard topic that needs continuous tweaking. And will never be perfect for everyone.

Even in real life with professional drivers there are accidents like that, as people mentioned, drivers analyze the behavior of the other drivers and adjust, some are better than others at this. Ideally the AI would be that "brainful" to do the same with your breaking points, etc. but even if it does, it also has to assume you are "professional" enough, to be consistent. There is only so much another driver can react to because of expectation.
    Right now the burden is on you to "adapt" to their principle behavior, and to be consistent in it, because you got more brain :) The game's AI has never been frozen, it is constantly progressing, however there have to ups and downs in this process.
    Compared to previous versions we now have a much more lively field, which imo is a big plus over the procession before.

When going Multiplayer the respectful people also tend to drive a lot more defensive, as they don't want to be the asshole totally blocking someone else, or end up in crash just because they assume the other person drives exactly like them. By building experience you "know" whom you can have a good fight with, and where it's safe to let go, or pass on easier occasion.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  16. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    A lot of the aggression many people are now talking about, has been in the game a very long time already. It wasnt just introduced with this last patch :p

For the suggestions of just adding an "Aggressiveness" slider for the player to tweak, that is likely not the answer. The AI is a lot more complex than just having a slider that goes from "your nan driving" to "Aline Senna on a bad day". What Im saying is, this would introduce a lot of its own problems and not necessarily fix/improve the complaints. For instance, if you just turn down the aggressiveness, maybe the AI will never attempt to go for a pass at all. And then any time you get near a car, it will yield to you creating the most lackluster and dull race imaginable.

I agree that the aggressiveness has seemingly gotten worse in some classes with the last patch, but as always, it's a WIP and a lot of these issues are known and will be corrected with time. It is tough to add things like AI stress, etc. without some other aspect of the AI performing less than perfect :p Not the best answer, but I doubt the AI will just be left to whither away and never have things corrected ;)

Each class of AI has it's own AI files. Since this is the case, car classes that are older have older AI files (in combination with the general AI behavior that is universal in the game). So, they dont always see the improvements newer classes demonstrate.

Simple matter of having a ton of content, and not enough man power to always keep every single item up to date. This isnt a slam on RR though, since every single sim has old content that goes without being updated. Such is the life of software development.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Fixed that for you ;)
    The problem with a slider to turn down the aggresiveness would\could\will\may or may not introduce would quickly and easily be fixed with a simple slider adjustment till you find your happy medium ;)
    Let us have access to AI files to edit and manipulate to our hearts content, this has no bearing on anybody but me, and surely cant be considered a risk to the integrity of the game.

There is a message there :D
    Very selective :cool:

Edit-Out of interest do the ai have the same or simillar talent files as found in the race series?
    Does each driver have its own set of performance variables or is it all drivers running off one set with small % variation driven by expected performance for the named driver?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    This was just one example of what may happen. The point was that the AI files and behavior dont have separate sliders for every characteristic. They are all intertwined. So making a small tweak to 1 thing may mean something else behaves in a less than desirable way. And leaving this up to the player is a sure fire way to get a lot of complaints.

Not possible. The AI files from what I understand arent like camera files for cars. They are at a much deeper level than being user tweakable. There is base level AI code that is universal, and then all the class AI files and how they behave on every single track. What you are asking for is base level access to tweak everything and basically 'customize your own' AI. Im sure you can see why this is a no-go.

And this is completely beside the fact that RR is not a modding platform and it very well may be a design decision to not allow users to alter everything. That would create an experience that is far away from what the devs/pub may want to offer.

This I am not knowledgeable about. I dont believe every single driver/livery has their own AI files. Think it is just car specific. So what you see during races where 1 particular driver wins is up to random variation. I do believe that you are correct that there is a deviation from the expected performance at a set difficulty level to give you different pace for the AI (some cars being slightly faster than others).

If that was what you were asking... :p

19. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I respectively disagree with you nate, where possible we should have the option of tailoring the AI to our liking, whether that be in that form of more sliders or the possibility to edit AI only files ourselves. After all the offline experience is specifically designed for one person, keeping it rigid (as it currently is) only serves to frustrate the end user and is not the correct way of doing it.

We need openness to some degree, I accept that RRE is not a modding platform but we're not asking to mod it. We're just asking for the ability to custom it more to our liking, other games (without naming) do it just fine and I find it a shame that RRE chooses to go the untested route that clearly doesn't work as best it could. That's all we're after, to make it the best it can be and not be stuck in a frustrating circle of not being able to adjust the most basic settings to improve the experience.

It would be nice to get the devs input on the AI and where they are taking it should they have the time :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    The AI on here is still better than 90% of the "AI" on iRacing......

"It would be nice to get the devs input on the AI and where they are taking it should they have the time :)"

Devs input, at a guess. "We are aiming to have the most realistic AI possible, across all car classes. It is very definitely a WIP"

So while I agree in principle to a slider, if it was likely to screw the AI up, I probably wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Complex systems interact with complex systems in very complex ways.
    There are aggression sliders on rFactor2 and mine are still on the default.

• Agree Agree x 1