Ai is too aggressive in my opinion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frodesa, Feb 9, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yes that's a given what the devs will say, I was referring to future ways of adjusting the AI not the overall picture which is obvious.

And again, if you're not gonna touch the sliders that's fine, it's the "Option" of having them that is important to some of us. If it screws things up then revert to slider defaults, problem solved.

2. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    What more options and sliders MIGHT do is increase the longevity of the game for players. Some people like to tinker with settings. Some tinker in the garage with setups. I (foolishly!) like to jump from car to car and track to track. So we all like more options in our chosen tinkerings.
    I'm good with that.

So we are agreed - more cars, tracks and slider options. Only fixed setups cos Camber and offset perch limber nodes and 10 levels of TCS is too confusing. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm down to DL 90 and the AI are still taking me out.

4. Maddawg

Maddawg Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Good point, its just that situational awareness is difficult on tracks like Bathurst, Spa, Nordschleife. It is hard to concentrate on a car behind when concentrating so hard on the road ahead. Just my opinion.

5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Maddawg - you wouldn't need situational awareness if the AI was not so good. In AC, once you have overtaken a car, you practically have to stop and have a picnic before they will overtake you again...I know which I prefer.
    It's also very good practice for online races, where there are a load of have-a-go heroes just waiting for that tiny gap...don't worry about the difficulty level being quite low. If you are in the middle of the pack racing, you are probably learning. And having fun doing it. The more you know a track, the less you need to worry about where the next corner is going.
    Some people might suggest more practice before an actual race, but I find that so dullllllllllll....what's the point of having AI and not using it?
    Drop the difficulty as much as you need. Have fun. Then, and only then, worry about anything else.

I think that many of the problems with AI 'crashing' players is unreasonable expectations of the AI, and the player's belief that he is better than the AI. Overtaking in unreasonable places. Expecting to achieve 'hot-lap' times in a race....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I agree with nearly all of this....but as I have stated in another tread, how about the AI adapt to us?
    I was thinking a plugin, a sort of AI editor.
    Let say you go hot laping at a track with a car and when you think you made your best lap, you feed it to the editor that will create a AI waypoints AND speed around the track.
    the AI will use those waypoints meaning they wont be too much different than you, you wont have to smash the back because they brake like alien or you will rarely be rear ended unless you do a mistake...the list is long and I recal nascar racing from papyrus that had such a editor, unfortunately no devs thought to make such editor so here we are, trying to deal with robotic AI and being submitted to their style.

Just my tought about AI.

7. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Though I can somewaht agree with you to a couple of points, this sentence is way too overdone ;)

8. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yes perhaps, time will tell if this method works out :)

9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, the goal is they have enough brain to adapt, like a human could adapt to the driver in front.

I am not sure you would want to base them completely around your driving style, as long as they can "react" to you in "human possible" way +/- some anticipation from your behavior within the race, it's good. It's not like they are not doing this at all, it just needs improvement. And you need to have variability to allow certain characters, and then some "aggressiveness" slider for people who prefer "gentle" AI vs "realistic/different driver styles". Now some may argue whether you need such slider at all, maybe more "pushy" behavior should just come with higher AI level...

As for opening up AI, it's not that obvious that it's actually a value add. It's so easy to ruin the product by delivering too much options. People will complain, file bugs etc., and as developer you no longer know what settings they used. Also let's say you want to change something in a bigger style, then that would render all the previous work done by community useless...
    There is pros and cons, and I had opened a thread here before how AI could be made scriptable, but looking forward I am not sure that's the way to go.
    The competition between the different games will be high enough, that having good AI can be the difference, and then you may not want to disclose how you actually do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. rubbaDuck

rubbaDuck Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I made similiar experiences.. Since the VR update I was doing several 40 minutes races on Redbull Ring. I was switching between the Xbow and DTM 2016 using the same AI level (109%). What I noticed is that the AI is very agressive in the Xbow, but never really pushes me off the track. Same AI level, same track but different class (DTM 2016).. AI is much more aggressive and, well, optimistic when overtaking in corners. This often results in getting pushed of the track.

So yes, from my point of view there is somehow a big difference regarding aggressiveness between car classes. Maybe this could be balanced better in future.

But overall I have to say that I really love R3Es AI. In the last months I was playing Assetto Corsa (because of VR support) and I can't tell you how much I enjoy AI races in Raceroom. ACs AI is good for not feeling alone on track. But Raceroom AI really is for epic battles. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    First of all I wish to say thank you Nate, for being the one who spend the most time trying to answer and explain things. :blush:

Now... I had another race with the GTO class, 20min at Spa with 19 AI cars at 102%. Well, I did not manage to survive :D
    So I just watched the AI race through the Race Monitor... and I have to say it was fun! They really try to be fast and go for an overtake, though managing to not push each other off the track.
    So I realized, that this "Aggressiveness" is not simply a factor in the equation of AI-Behaviour but is just the result of its all. So I understand that you probably can't just reduce all of it down to one single Parameter and put it into a slider...

Nevertheless: the different Classes really need some balance to be more consistent. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Very true...there is more to it for sure, what i am trying to say is, there must be a easy way that suit every offliner.
    Of course my point of view is what it is, I just trow a idea without much technical toughts... but lets hope one day the AI will surprise us how "human" they are ;)

13. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Good way to appreciate current Ai is to drive free server Silhouette @ RaceRoom Raceway online :) , seriously though I agree different classes need adjusting but as stated kinda wip

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    @Silvanob "Let say you go hot laping at a track with a car and when you think you made your best lap, you feed it to the editor that will create a AI waypoints AND speed around the track.
    the AI will use those waypoints meaning they wont be too much different than you, you wont have to smash the back because they brake like alien or you will rarely be rear ended unless you do a mistake...the list is long and I recal nascar racing from papyrus that had such a editor, unfortunately no devs thought to make such editor so here we are, trying to deal with robotic AI and being submitted to their style."

That's fine as an option, but I like to think (Hope!) that by racing the AI, following their line or choosing a different one, that I can learn from them. If I were to just be following my own lines, then sure, I would get very consistent. Unfortunately it would be consistently slow.
    Also, knowing they are likely to be a bit 'Plato' at times, it allows you to develop defensive driving techniques (like keeping some grip back for that inevitable 'nudge') vital to online racing.

The AI on the Audi TT is just amazing. (In my opinion, and with my skill level. YMMV)

15. maxx2504

maxx2504 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi !

In my opinion the AI make too much mistakes. They are too slow when pushing, and they are too aggressive when you wanna overtake them or they wanna overtake you.
    Also the braking of the AI is sometimes too early.

i also mentioned a big problem with the Adaptive AI. Espacially with the Formula Raceroom cars (FR2). Seems like they can't handle the cars and the are much too slow.

Sector 3 should overwork the AI again. It was much better before that last patch.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  16. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    With "AI" you probably mean the normal people. Well in lower splits that is true. At least you can often go 2/3 wide without incedent. I prefer iRacings people over any AI. The Ai in AC is probably the best. PCars Ai is totally stupid but racerooms isn't better. What ever, I think I already said that months and months ago.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  17. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    The AI in AC is far from the best, RF2 and RRE are widely regarded as having the best and AC far behind in its current form.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Try something I did, slow down don't try to make a new laprecord every lap try to keep a even speed if ai is ahead let them be there you will be faster and faster every lap with out you notice it, keep focus on situational awarness as much as the track.
    And after a couple hundred laps you 're going to start set the AI higher I started at 90 now I am at 100 So just focused on doing cleen races not nessesary geting first. but geting all the way, I mean if you don't finish you don't get any points ;)
    To win a race you first need to learn how to finish the race, every time. ;)
    That's how I did focus on finish not wining, wining come automaticly with experience and awarnes is growing on it's own.. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I reset my adaptive ai (deleted the file). So far seems better after limited testing. No one has run me off the road since.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    So far the better Ai i have raced was on Forza 6 Apex on PC. i gave this a try as its free to play on windows 10 and the Ai is quite good.