Known Issue Flag issues

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by n01sname, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Ashmaster02

Ashmaster02 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah there are some serious issues with how the game gives out penalties for passing under a yellow flag. For about the 3rd time today I've gotten a drive through because the game wants me to give a position back to a car that's spinning through the grass or gravel.

2. Oreos

Oreos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much with Ashmaster02. Two dudes locked in a pit manoeuvre at Eurospeedway T1 today in a DTM 2016 race. I slowed up and past them as they were both spinning and causing a pile up in the middle of the circuit, about 3 of us all got a stop and go penalty. By this logic, I should have just stopped in the middle of the track and caused more mayhem.

3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I just had a 4 lap race (GT3, mandatory pitstop) against the AI (105) on 24h Nordschleife... 99 Opponents :-D and during these 4 laps I had to give back position two times, but only because the cars in front of me braked in the moment the yellow flag was announced, I was lucky to avoid a crash with the car in front of me. So i zoomed past him and had to brake until he's in front of me again.
    I had no chance to react. The AI reacts immediately when a flag is announced. But with some practice you can manage it. But with 99 opponents (I started as 50th) there were many flags, especially in the first distance around the GP part of the track.

It needs some tweaks here and there, but overall it works fine. The AI even got drive-thru penalty for overtaking under yellow *giggles*

• Like Like x 1
  4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Quite a few changes related to flags in today's update:

• Fixed yellow flag appearing during private Qualifying.
    • Fixed White flag appearing in MP Qualifying session that used rolling start.
    • Fixed an issue in a race with additional lap, checkered flag was showing when timer reached zero and at end of additional lap.
    • Fixed an issue where an illegal overtake under yellow followed by a retirement of the overtaken car would result in the impossibility to give the position back
    • Fixed an issue where checkered flag did not appear for final lap in MP server with flag rules enabled.
    • Time allowed to give a position back after an illegal overtake increased from 15 to 30 seconds
    • Yellow flag now triggers for cars at 20% of their predicted speed ( was 10% )
    • White flag trigger now requires a car to be 70 kph under its predicted speed (was 30) The other trigger condition remains at 40% of its predicted speed.

Sounds like some reasonable changes. Very much looking forward to see how it improves the game!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's clearly better after the update, but it's still not perfect. Apart from the whole UI thing, sometimes you still have to yield to cars off on grass or just about to join the race again.

Like in this instance - the guy went off track and I was passing him as he was just rejoining the race. I was clearly going much faster than him and just going past him was IMO definitely the safest course of action, but the game apparently expected me to just slow down to his speed in the middle of the corner on the racing line, and since I didn't do so, I was forced to slow down, wait for him and give the position back to him...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DaleJSmith

DaleJSmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Over the last weekend, I had an error happen twice to me. I was given a stop n go penalty for passing under a "Yellow Flag" when I didn't pass anyone that was on the track surface. The only car that I did pass was the ones that were off the track surface and had caused the yellow flag. It wasn't like they had 2 wheels on the track, they were way off the racing surface. The first was in an NSU "TT" race and the second was in a "CR1". Coincidently, I was in 5th before the yellow in both races and after I was moved to 3rd (I don't think that had anything to do with it). I was not warned to slow and let the car regain the position, just handed a "Stop N Go". I can work to get a vid clip if needed. Please let me know.

7. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I just got a Stop & Go penalty for overtaking under yellow, but I didn't overtake anyone. I watched the replay and noticed that there was a car parked on the start finish straight right where that yellow flag came up. The point is that the guy disconnected right after the start. So my guess is that some of the buggy yellow flag penalties appear due to disconnected cars not being moved into the pits properly.

8. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Hello all!

There's a perfectly sensible explanation for all of this and that is:

We made the reasonable assumption that the code for yellow flags was as per design. It turns out it wasn't! We've now reworked the entire yellow flag code and are testing it internally. My personal experience so far is that it works a lot better!

One of the bigger changes will be that every car within a certain area from the car causing the yellow flag will be considered part of the incident. This means that they are all allowed to overtake each other, removing a lot of unexpected/undeserved illegal overtakes.

There's some other things, more or less substantial, that we'll get to when the next patch drops. Just wanted to give you all a heads up, nothing's more frustrating than a silent developer after all.

• Like Like x 8
  9. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That's a big problem for public races.
    The cars who don't started or disconnected after start will be there as a ghost car on the start/finish line. And that means yellow flag for this area.

10. T. Baumann

T. Baumann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just had the problem that i lost a thrilling fight due to a senseless yellow flag caused by a car parking at turn 1 for the whole race. I would be happy if people that don't move for more than a minute or so cannot cause a yellow flag situation and get set to pitlane. Read about similar cases in the forum but i need to aswer here. The guy resting at one spot said he wanted to watch the race. Why isnt it possible to retire or even get dq for not moving and watch the end of the race as a spectator?

11. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    A very good question!

I would personally like to add an AFK kick timer coupled with a penalty (once ranked MP is there).
    I also want to see Spectate Mode a lot more accessible. It's honestly inexcusable that you have to restart the game and add a launch parameter at the moment. (And then again, restart and remove the parameter to race.)

Finally, people who set a qualifying time tend to do the same. These are people who intend to race but once they're happy with their qualifying time like to watch others as they wait for the session to end. Once ranked MP happens they will be quite severely punished which makes no sense to me.
    I would like to see some manner of "Spectate Lite" that can be accessed from the Garage Menu. Gets them out of the way, ensures their reputation doesn't tank and they can watch and wait.

Now I just need to whine and complain in the office until this happens. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Simon Fillingham

Simon Fillingham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    Can't you already do this via the 'Race Monitor' option in the garage?

13. T. Baumann

T. Baumann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good. Go for it!;)
    As far as I know is the Race Monitor is not available during Race Session, what should be improved. Or is there a special setting required?

In multiclass races there are instantly shown blue flags from the start if you are in front of a racer of a faster class.Shouldn't that only be shown for the first time getting lapped? Furthermore I dont like the race position is only shown as in-class position. I miss the over-all position. Both should be visible.
    Also I would like to see penalties for people not paying attention to blue flags.

14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well usually that very rarely happens in real life (some slower car being infront of a car from a higher class without it being lapped) but it does make sense to show blue flags anyway.

Blue flag just means "faster car approaching" and is not exclusively shown to cars that are about to be lapped. So it does apply in your scenario as well.

15. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    but won't you get a penalty for ignoring it when the blue flag rules are enabled (or reinstated - they got switched off didn't they?)?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    I mentioned this and got tasked with reorganizing the entire key bindings menu. :C

We're considering renaming Race Monitor to Spectate or something similar to clarify what the heck it does. Also adding the ability to spectate without all the fancy overlays etc. That way no restart will be needed. If I understood J-F correctly. I didn't sleep a lot and had too much blood in my coffee-stream at the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But who did they task with explaining all the keybindings to you? :p

18. T. Baumann

T. Baumann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok but isn't there the duty to make place as soon as possible? I think this could be a problem in multiclass sessions with classes being close to each other like e.g. DTM92 and Touring Classics. If Touring Classics would be rated higher I would have to get passed in my DTM92 . Competing would be impossible if blue flag isn't taken out. And here is the problem with the shown position again. The overall and in-class position is necessary for orientation inside the race field.

Back to the yellow flag problem i wrote about: Maybe it would be enough to convert a yellow flag as I mentioned to a white one just to avoid senseless penalties. The two possible yellow flag situations cannot be distinguished by reading while fighting. Also there is sometimes too less time to react to an incoming flag as it appears "in-situ". But I think there has already been an improvement with that.

19. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The class rating is rather clear cut afaik, so that problem shouldn't emerge.
    Blue flags are effective as soon as they are shown (just like in real life) but of course it's the drivers duty to obey them and if sb just refuses to do so that's a problem. But I think we can't/shouldn't penalise after a few seconds, sometimes you need a few seconds to make room safely. I think the current system with three warnings isn't bad, but maybe it can be reviewed and tightened up a bit.

They have been improved and they are still being worked on. Although I doubt that there will ever be a 100% failsafe sollution (just like above, if sb wants to screw around there's no real way of preventing that) I agree there's room for improvement and the team is working on it. Also in terms of the UI, which I agree is suboptimal atm, like you said, it's hard to distiguish between the two types of yellow flags f.e.

20. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Blue flags won't give penalties and probably never will. People abused it by not driving by the slower car/driver and I can't really think of a way to solve that.

As for yellow flags I have some ideas. For this particular case though it wasn't the flag so much as the fact that someone was just standing still during the entire race.