Force Feedback Weight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Not Lifting Off, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    F F weight in different cars varies immensly.
    I can go from an audi gt with a decent weight and feel to an e30 which is really light and powerless to the procar bm which is stuck inbetween the 2 then the zacspeed capri that has absolutely no feeling\weight at all, so i end up either leaving it as it is which just feels wrong or edit and change the weight\strength everytime i change cars which is a ballache.

Is it me and my setup or does that happen to anyone else?

2. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Generally if you use those more recently released cars with the latest physics (eg GT3, Silhouette, FR2, Aquila, TT Cup), you'll get comparable FFB weight and feel between the cars. Personally I long ago stopped used the cars with the older physics so I no longer suffer from your issue!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    yes its a bit annoying,i have to change steering intensity depending the class. S3 is aware of this,they said they'll implement a ffb multiplier thingy for every car,along with a tire slip effect and other stuff.
    ffb multiplier is a solution but I think the right thing is they polished all the old classes so people take them out of the garage

• Like Like x 2
  4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Cars don't feel all the same IRL !

You compare 3 very different cars:
    Recent audi GT3 => mid engine car with power steering
    BMW E30 => old car withouth power steering and engine in the front, old tires
    BMW M1 => old car with mid-rear engine, old tires
    etc ..

They CANNOT feel the same and have the same steering weight, it would be an absolute non-sens if they was identical wheel on hand !

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    especially with non powerassisted cars of the past.

But what i found out - and im with tpw i only drive the new updated cars- but i raise the lateral force and verticle force to 100%. that will give you much more weight. You may have to lower the steer force to then compensate for a - to hard to turn - wheel.

But im starting to thing that the general floaty feelings i had was down to the odd default ffb settings. But having said that th new updates makes the car miles more believable imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    If this analogy was correct then the E30 would have the heaviest steering out of all of them since it has no power steering, but according to the OP it has the lightest steering of the bunch. Yes, different cars should feel different but that doesn't mean some cars should have virtually no FFB, yet that's the situation we've found ourselves in. Different cars require radically different FFB settings. I've found that cars with new physics will use certain similar settings but then when I go to one of the older cars the FFB is virtually non-existent and I have to raise the steering force by 25-30 and also increase the vertical/lateral loads. It's a freaking pain in the arse because I have to spend 20-30 minutes faffing about with the settings before I can even properly drive the cars.

I've been having another issue, I don't know if it's something on my end or a problem with the game, but a car can have wildly different FFB between sessions. Example, Sunday I was practicing for a RD race with the GT3's at Sonoma. I grabbed the SLS for some practice and got the FFB dialed in to where it was feeling really good. Shut off the PC to do other things for a couple hours, then I fire it up again for the race and the FFB was incredibly heavy to where I could barely turn the wheel. Nothing had changed since a few hours before where the car was feeling perfect, but suddenly I had to come up with some new FFB settings before qualifying started and I never got it feeling right. This happens all the time and it's very frustrating. Again, I'm not sure if this is an issue with the game or my system but I don't experience this in any of my other sims.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    brandon could it be that the race setup has stiffer suspensions maybe?
    i was driving the m1 and mucking about with setups,and when i stiffened the springs, the ffb actually got "tighter" so to speak. It actually felt really well done. I contemplated lowering the ffb, but i thought no - this is how it would be in the car very sensitive to bumps ect.

8. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I didn't touch any part of the car setup, only the FFB setup. It was literally like this: I spent two hours dialing in the FFB and practicing, shut off the PC, turned it back on a couple hours later and took the same car to the same track with the same settings and had a completely different feeling from the wheel. I ended up cutting the steering/lateral/vertical forces in half and that made it driveable but it was nowhere near as good as what I had just felt a couple hours earlier. This happens so often that I actually thought twice about shutting the game/PC down because I was afraid I'd lose the good feeling, but I figured it probably wouldn't be an issue for some reason and shut it down. I was wrong

Things like this have been my experience in R3E since the beginning, I have many hours in the game but I'd guess more of them have been spent in the FFB settings menu than actually driving a car on a track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know what you mean mate. I think ive settled on the ffb with both my Lat/Ver force at 100%. I think you could be digging for ages looking for the ultimate ffb maybe its just not there, just settle with something and play it..

Having said that I've not had that problem youve had. Maybe its seeing your device as a new profile every time? just an idea dude?

10. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    No Power steering doesn't necessary mean heavier steering ;)
    BMW E30 as tighter tires with higher sides, there's less (indeed, almost non) aero downforces, etc ...

But TBH, I regularly go back an forth between this kind of cars (FR2, GTR3, M1, DTM92, WTCC) and I never found that the FFB was boggus at this point. (like saying that there's almost no FFB on some cars)
    The only thing I change in my FFB settings is when I switch from the BMW ring (Fanatec CSW V2 wheel) to the F1 one, but it's purely related to the wheel itself, not the car I drive with.

11. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    With no power steering I doubt it would be the lightest of the bunch though. ;)

Most of what I described has been happening since I got a CSW V2 last month, I've always had inconstancies with the FFB in R3E but since I got the new wheel things are all over the place. And yes, some of the cars literally have almost no FFB to them unless I spend time tweaking the FFB settings......but then as soon as I go to another car things are whack again. Some cars feel extremely heavy, some cars feel extremely light, and even the same car can go from heavy to light from one day to the next.

Like I said above, these extreme FFB swings only started happening when I got my CSW which suggests it's some kind of setting issue. But as far as I can tell it's not loading a new profile every time, I've confirmed it's using the same profile each session and it retains all my button mappings and FFB settings, but one day a car will feel good with 75% steering force and then the next day I'll have to turn it down to 50%. Odd.

I think I'll try uninstalling it and starting from scratch, see if that helps things. Not sure what else to try.

12. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Why are the old cars with no assistance lighter to steer than the Audi?
    The E30 came with and without PS, cars with power steering whether in game or in RL generally make the steering easier\lighter until you hit the kerb a pot hole slide or spin it that is when you should be feeling the most weight\light feeling and variations of, the steering itself on most cars ive driven with power steering has been much of a muchness all a very simillar weight and feeling until......

"Power Assisted Steering" should be taking away\filtering out any added weight caused by setup changes in the modern cars in the older cars the weight is almost none existant to start.

Your not alone here, i have this often, you leave and like it then its gone and you have to start over, dosnt happen daily but often enough to be an annoyance. Im using a G25 so its not wheel dependant.

I would of thought that the weights and strengths would be pretty uniform across the board otherwise it would be pointless putting options\global config ingame to change them, you know you get it how you like it and every cars has the same or simillar, never noticed anything like it with any other game only this, there may be a little variance but this isnt a small amount it is actually going from really heavy to almost none at all, its wrong that a modern car with PAS is heavier than an old car without, when you get them moving the PAS should remain the same across the board and the cars without should be getting lighter but not almost none existant to just a little weight.

If it is something that cant be fixed how about a FFB config\option for individual cars rather than a global config.

Im happy to be corrected!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  13. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Power steering is not the only difference.
    The Audi GTR3 as much larger and grippy tires than any BMW E30, unless Audi screw totally the power steering in the GT3 version it can feel heavier than a old car with tight tires less that have less grip.
    BTW the Audi weight more overall, and has aero downforce .. unlike the old cars.
    Less weight on the front tire => less forces to turn the wheel.

Other thing: the BMW E30 use a wheel range of 720° or 900° when the Audi is around 540° => less range => less gearing => less force to apply to turn the wheel.
    etc etc

But: @Brandon Wright you clearly have an issue with your wheel.. this is far from normal that the feeling chance so much from a session to an other. As you say maybe should you start over the installation of the wheel, delete your controler profil in game and reconfigure it from scrtch.

14. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I've been having the exact same issue too. I only noticed it when I upgraded from the Thrustmaster Tx to the T500 but was not on R3E as much back then. Each day I start R3E up I honestly don't know what I'm going to get. For me I have to swap between 85 and 100% steering force. Doesn't sound much but it certainly feels it. I thought it was my T500 to be honest but now I don't!

15. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's @Brandon Wright wheel at all. In this small thread there are 3 of us using different wheels experiencing the same issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    That's all fine and accurate but I don't believe it applies to the issues we're describing. These aren't subtle differences that can be attributed to differing car characteristics, these are huge differences that make you feel like you're playing a different game or that you somehow got some whacked out FFB settings entered by gremlins while you were sleeping or watching the football game.

I have no idea what's causing the changes, nor am I trying to argue about the different setups of real cars, but at least I know I'm not the only one experiencing the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    3 having an issue with the FFB doesn't mean that the FFB of the game is wrong... otherwise it would be the same for anybody playing the game and I myself don't experiment this AT ALL. And I really don't think I'm the only one here.. otherwise I'm pretty sur there would have been much more discussion about this.
    I looking this board and other almost everyday and you're the first that I see talking about it.

It may not be a issue related to the wheel model, but for what I read from @Brandon Wright it's clearely a bug somewhere in the game (maybe with the controler profils) because he says that even the same car can feel different ! So it's really not what you're talking about (FFB feel of such different cars)

18. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Not saying FFB is wrong at all, I'm simply saying I'm having the same issue even with the same car. It's great one day, the next it's way too heavy and the FFB needs adjusting. Hopefully an answer will come from this discussion because it's APITA.

19. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    See above, Mr. Liister is having the same exact problem I am, and while it's possible we're encountering the same bug I wouldn't think it's likely especially since he has a different wheel than I do.

I'm not trying to complain or argue about it, just trying to figure out a solution because it's making me not want to play R3E. It's a real and regular issue, when I fire up R3E I never know what it's going to feel like. Why it isn't affecting more people I can't say.

20. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    As I said, maybe be should you try to reconfigure from scratch your wheel and the game controller profile.

Being a bug doesn't mean the bug can't affect other people.
    At least we know now it's not a wheel model related bug (because different wheel have the bug, and I have the same as you without this issue)