Force Feedback Weight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Not Lifting Off, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    For the old physics cars i use a higher sensitivety. The default settings is 1.0 i use 0.5. This does it for me.

FFB steer force exponent="1.0" // Steering force output "sensitivity"

Try that! Would like to har what you guys think.

EDIT: I have a G27

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I've tinkered with those settings before. I don't think it will help with my current situation though because something is very wrong with the old physics cars for some reason. I'll try adding some damper and see if that helps, but it's very odd.

3. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    You aren't using any steering rack by chance are you? I was playing with FFB settings a while ago and accidentally left steering rack on a high setting. When I recently drove the cars with the new physics I didn't really notice a problem but when I tried an older car I had a huge FFB deadzone and the cars were uncontrollable. Just thought it was worth mentioning since I was seeing something similar to what you were feeling between old and new cars.

4. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I think it might have been. I normally don't but I loaded up with the defaults since I was starting from scratch and I believe the default settings have 100% steering rack. I'll check it out tonight, thanks mate.

5. Alice Margatroid

Alice Margatroid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    I drive both old and new cars, I hate driving with out using the steering racks even on the old ones. mostly because I feel that you get overloaded with unneeded info and have to work too hard to drive the cars. the trick I have found is that on the older cars, you do need to add more vertical load to help feel the dig the tires have on corner entry. I usualy use 125% on old cars. and 20% on new ones. I always use steering rack as well.(100%) I also have a g27 though. my ffb is very soft, but I can still feel the bumps in the track and the grip at the front. it might just be my preferences though, but I don't believe the steering wheel of a f1 style car would be as heavy as the clutch in a russian tank. I would expect it to be pretty light, with perhaps a slight bit of resistance to prevent the car from steering itself.

6. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I believe the way the steering rack setting works is that it is more of a balance between tire forces and steering rack rather than adding more FFB sources like the other sliders. So by setting it to 100% you are cutting all the tire FFB out and only using the rack. That is my understanding of it anyway. Hopefully it does the trick for you.

7. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Based on what the devs said I believe that is correct. I've never really grasped what it does and on my previous wheels I felt no difference between 0% and 100% but everything is different on the CSW so I'm having to relearn all I know about R3E FFB (which is very little even though I've probably spent 50+ hours screwing with it over the last year).

8. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    My opinion on spring, damper and tire is more or less the same. They all ad some kind of static resistance and they all seem to remove FB and road feel.

9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I typed a post up and a while ago asking this didnt post it, so i just found it, i was looking ofr some info on the desired effect and ended up at the RR help pages.

Could someone please explain what the ingame FFB settings do.
    What are they supposed to do what would the manual tell us they do if we read it, ahh there`s a question, is there a manual?
    These options from here http://support.raceroomracingexperi...-raceroom-racing-experience-options-explained appear to be for the controller profile or an old version of the game but not a lot related to the current ingame menu.
    Force Feedback:
    Vibration Support: Toggle on/off vibration/rumble on your controller.
    Force Feedback: Toggle on/off to enable/disable FFB.
    Force Feedback Effects: Adjust to change the amount of FFB effects used.
    Reverse Force Feedback: Enable/Disable force feedback. On some wheels e.g Fanatec, the FFB effects will move towards the opposite direction and will feel unnatural. If this is happening, please enable this setting.
    Force Feedback Strength: Adjust how strong you want FFB to be.
    Force Feedback Steering Force: Adjust to change how much force should be applied to the steering.
    Force Feedback Steering Grip Weight: Adjust to change how much weight is given to tire grip when calculating the steering force.
    Steering Weight Force: Adjust to change how much force should be applied to the weight.
    Force Feedback Curb Effects: Adjust to change how much FFB effect should be used when on curbs.
    Force Feedback Curb Pull: Adjust to change how much curbs should pull when tires are on them.

The ingame menu contains 5 key elements i would guess to getting a good feeling, could someone give a rundown\explanation of each maybe with an example of what happens where when you change them.
    Force Feedback Intensity
    Steering Force Intensity
    Understeer
    Vertical Load
    Lateral Load
    Self explanatory, or are they, there is an option to turn off kerb vibration\ffb, but you cant :)

At least understanding the desired effect helps trying to get a good actual setting

10. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I agree, which is why I never use them, and why I find it odd that the old physics cars suddenly feel like they need damper added to them. I just remember that a few months ago I had turned a slider down in my Thrustmaster profiler based on a recommendation for PCars (I forget which slider) and when I turned on R3E suddenly all the FFB was gone. Turned that slider back to 100 and everything was ok again. That's similar to how the old physics cars were feeling last night, they still had some feeling to them but it certainly wasn't correct or how I'm used to them feeling. So, the damper suggestion was just me throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. But based on Dan's description above I'm hoping it's due to having steering rack at 100%.

Who knows.

I used to think I knew what they all did, but honestly I have no idea (and this is coming from someone who has literally spent dozens and dozens of hours screwing with the FFB settings).

11. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
  12. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried damper and to be fair it actually felt like a real car the audi did anyway. It does even make rf2 feel better, but that doesn't need it as much, as well ad Rr new cars. I did think there maybe some details low down you may miss, but the compromise was for the damping.

I didn't like that i would have to keep turning it on n off for my sims, so decided against using it.

however i would like to know the difference between damper and friction

13. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I've read through that probably a dozen times, still doesn't make much sense to me. I mainly want to know how can I make it heavier/lighter in the turns or heavier/lighter around center, because recently it's been very unbalance where one is too heavy and one is too light. Plus I seem to have a bit of a deadzone around center which I don't care for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brandon i don't think you will get the old feeling like the new

I tried the damper on the Daytona and the car just felt like it was on a massive pendulum

15. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I'm not trying to get them to feel like the new cars, I'm just trying to get any feeling to them at all because last night they had virtually none and that's not right. I've got a setting wrong somewhere, I could take my hands off the wheel in a turn and the wheel would just stay at that angle and not return to center, and I know you know that's not right.

16. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not return to centre? I don't get that I never had, my problems always been it snapped to hard back to centre (old cars) maybe its your wheel not being that great with rre? you had a t300 right? don't remember you mention that issue above/

17. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, so when the wheel isn't returning to center when I take my hands off the wheel you know something's wrong somewhere. When I had my T300 hooked up I didn't have these issues, but that wheel was faulty and it was before the new physics were released so I don't really have anything to compare to. When I was experimenting with the CSW last week the old physics cars weren't exhibiting this behavior, but that was before I reset all my controller profiles and when steering rack was set to 0 (last night it was set to 100). I'm sure I'll get something figured out eventually, but I'm also quite sure I'll never be to the point of "Right, that's it, the FFB feels great in all cars and I'll never have to tinker with these settings again".

18. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think ive somewhat come to something I like which means I went against what I said above regarding damper. For me RR desperately needs damper, either built in or on, as it makes the ffb pretty good even if I do say so myself. These settings are on a t300 and they don't clip but can get quite heavy in slow turns and heavy downforce cars. The formula ffb us really good may I add. But as I said damper needs to be 100% on in profile (you knock that back in game of course)

god knows why this flipped?!

[​IMG]
    20mb image hosting

even the m1 feels pretty pucca too! lol

I'm not gonna fiddle anymore, because you literally could be doing it till death> So until new ffb settings come out this are mine for now!.. Wouldn't recommend this on weak wheels

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i was going to reply to this but then realised it served no purpose ....

but i will leave this

FFB steer damper coefficient : defines how much dampered the steering is. 0.0 is unrealistic, 0.2 is reasonably dampered, 0.4 corresponds to a modern road car assisted direction, heavily dampered.

Andi

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    andi i was just about to leave this

simracing.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Feedback_Tweaking_Guide_for_Simbin_Games

and read that exact line. Very good guide and take it can still apply to rre? I personally think damper feels more like a steering column and not so loose and raw. May even apply a.bit to rf2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016