Resolved Group 5 BMW 320 Turbo - Manual Transmission

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by UsF, Nov 9, 2020.

1. UsF

UsF Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    There exists an issue with the BMW 320 Turbo that is also present but less noticeable in other cars. The issue is that when you shift from one gear to the next, but you use a non fully pressed clutch to engage the next gear, the clutch will behave in a weird way and the car will display the revs incorrectly. This is very noticeable when going from 4th to 5th in the mentioned car.

To reproduce:
    - set up a race session with damage fully enabled (to allow transmission damage)
    - accelerate on a straight until 4th
    - slightly press the clutch, let go of the throttle and engage fifth gear (it should shift without problem and without damaging the transmission. If it doesn't, the clutch needs to be pressed in slightly more, but not fully)
    - immediately hit the throttle after it engages and let go of the clutch again also

Result:
    - the revs will go towards the rev limiter, without playing the normal "rev limiter loop" at the end, where it bounces off the limiter
    - instead the RPM gauge will sit at the rev limit and not move, remaining static, until the actual RPM value in the background reaches the right actual value

The increase in audible revs is faster than it normally would be when this occurs. If the clutch is fully pressed when shifting, then the gearbox behaves normally. It just has an issue with a clutch-less/low clutch style shifting. The disconnect in played RPM and hidden background RPM messes with shifting and braking patterns, as it can also occur in lower gears, but is most pronounced in the highest gear for reproduction purposes.

An issue occured with the DTM 92 Audi in a similar style, where the revs would slowly drop to the actual value, if such a shifting style was used. That one was fixed a while ago.

-------------------
    using:
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    HTC Vive VR Display
    AMD Ryzen 1700
    Nvidia 1070 GTX
    32 GB RAM
    Installed on SSD
    G27 - Manual clutch and H-pattern Shifter
    Otterhud + CrewChief

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I experience that many manual shift cars have the same behaviour. It has been discussed elsewhere, @Alex Hodgkinson commented on it, but I'm not sure how the discussion ended. It was even more obvious some versions ago, it has become much better with new patches. So something has obviously been done in an attempt to fix it.

I have only seen it happen with manual clutch and H-shifter, and it probably depends on not fully depressing the clutch when shifting, and/or shifting too fast.

I also agree that the behaviour can be consistently replicated pretty easily the way you describe, so it should be possible to point out the problem.

3. Rath0s

Rath0s Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    On engine map 5 I got this in 4th gear I think, long after doing the shift from 3rd. Does not happen on engine map 3 or lower.