Lack of high frequency vibrations in cockpit.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lixma, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    You're right....I was thinking of horizon locking when I mention the elevation changes. In my opening post I actually linked to a thread discussing the same thing as yourself. Those edits certainly help make the experience more fluid but they're not what I'm after.

2. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It would be nice for the people who like head movement, pitch, yaw, roll, shake etc. to have that option. And I guess that it could be a must for VR users to make the experience as real as possible. I think it should be mimicked as real as possible but also that it's far more complex than meets the eye to make it a properly experience. Because you have to take account for car movement, car stiffness, suspension, body movement, head movement, eye compensation and on and on. And then there are the difference between high speed Formula cars, GT's, classics and slow class cars. That's the main reason for me personally to turn those options off in games because most of the times it doesn't feel right. But I certainly see the added value for immersion. Just like the sounds. Little finicky, small details which can hugely add to the experience.

But nevertheless , I won't see it happen with current engine. And I rather would like to see the guys working on it with the UE4 engine. Just like other stuff which we as a community would like to see implemented with the new engine. The less time spent on current engine, the more time can be spent on the upcomming! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    not arguing that, see my second post.

4. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    For me the cockpit movement we have for adjustment is very bouncy, we do need more of a vibration effect, especially with all the car interior noises we hear, it just doesn't match the bouncy effect, also we really need a adjustable look to apex movement.
    I'm not interested in pitch and roll as they always seem to very unnatural.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    A (very) rough video comparison between real life, Assetto Corsa and R3E.

As can be seen the AC footage does a great job of simulating the effects of a combination of high speed & race car suspension. R3E currently looks like a magic carpet ride.

6. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I don't see any big difference between AC and R3E here, I'm on a Phone but anyway?
    I think both sims lack what you see irl footage, or?

7. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I think AC is doing a fantastic job simulating the shaking and vibrations at high speed but it's subtle and may not show up too well on a small screen.

Here's the source for the R3E video at a better resolution (go to 7:00).

Compared to AC and the RL footage R3E looks like a flat 2D overlay running on a 3D environment. It's as if the suspension (which should be very stiffly sprung & at 150mph getting hammered) is completely divorced from the cockpit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Is a VR or head tracking set used in that vid? Cause there's way less head motion than what it looks like on my end. And if so, was the same device used when capturing that AC vid?

9. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Aha now i see what you mean. But you see this is due to something we call Raceroom *cough* Comfort Suspension...

Seriously i see what you mean. The only problem is the wishlist. It's long.

10. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Yeh abit like having better virtual wheel rotation on all cars not just a handful..

11. j.mcleod

j.mcleod Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    This again. There shouldn't be any vibration movement. Perhaps in VR it might work, but only if you get the same experience as in reality where the brain eliminates it, rendering it useless.

It's the same issue as head-bob in first person games. I don't understand why it is even an option, it's not realistic. I'd suggest that if reality feels like what games simulate as head-bob, you should go and see a doctor!

• Agree Agree x 1