No discipline but a lot of greed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n01sname, Sep 23, 2021.

1. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    The majority of ranked drivers are fair& clean driving dudes (pro servers) who know what they're doing - so big thanks for a bunch of exciting races so far ;). Until now I randomly joined ranked servers but after quitting Leagues Racing for some time now, I surely will be seen around more often. Today I've got my 1700 Reps (with the 17th race) but racing the GT4 @Bathurst to check out the new AMG GT4 after a few warm-up laps it could have gone all wrong - because of one driver in his blue Lotus who really freaked me out : "No discipline but a lot of greed" seemed to be his callsign.He came up from behind (P15) and managed to become 8th in the end.He pressed hyper-aggressively, at every possible and impossible section of the track (we're talking about Bathurst, ya know - good for him the GT4's are quiet forgiving), kissed the walls at several occasions, missed his brake points and at the end of the long straight the apex too, but instead of lining up again, he cut through the grass to hold his position and block those behind - and by all this he was at the brink of ruining the race of the whole group of 4 cars (me included) racing him. Even if I cut him some slack that he was a bit over ambitious today, or just a really young dude of supposedly 12-14 Years of age :D (who are not used to reflect about their wrong doings) he was a real pain in the arse. The only reason he got ahead was that the drivers of that group remained calm to avoid any carnage. But what bothered me at the end was, looking at his stats he got 22 incident points (me : 2 - in words : Two !) lost some Reputation points but also was awarded with quiet some Racing Points because he managed to gain 7 positions. From my POV that is the wrong signal encouraging ruthless drivers to celebrate their ego-trips, while the real threshold of ranked racing should be clean, intelligent and fair racing in the very first place, doesn't it ? I also would suggest that drivers that got more than 20 Incident Points per race should be excluded from the server at once - no matter what - and those who continuously manage to collect that amount of failures should be banned from ranked racing for a certain period of time.
    Cause in that case I described above from my experience as well as from my instinct I fear that those types of drivers only learn it "the hard way".

;)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Then I need to ask you a question: Do you mind being excluded from the server at once as soon as you collect 20 incident points after being hit a couple of times by some reckless drivers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    @Fairman From what you described it sounds like the limits are too loose. However:
    1) I don't think one race is enough to make such general conclusions;
    2) Reputation system isn't meant to be always precise, it's there to discourage such behaviour, but it can be unfair sometimes;
    3) It's hard to judge how bad his driving was exactly and how bad the rep system failed to deal with it, without seeing the replay;
    4) You can report dirty behaviour even if it doesn't qualify for ban, yet. Marshals can give warnings or, if reports keep coming, ban him after some time.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  4. azaris

azaris Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    What marshals? I thought it was just J-F banning obvious rammers (and no one else) on his spare time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well, shit happens all the time and if that would happen to me I wouldn't like it but accept that :rolleyes: Same rules for everyone...(except Rookie Servers, cause that would be discouraging, but as an experienced driver to get 20+ Incident Points ? I didn't even came close to that, fellas - or in other words: Apart from "shit happens" you're certainly doing something wrong if you collect that amount of inc. points )
    I'm not mad at this guy, and he wasn't a wrecker per se, just got absolutely no racing discipline - so I wouldn't "rat" him out - it's just that I personally can't stand these kinda tryhards who only see "me,me,me" forgetting that this should be a satisfying experience for all drivers involved. As I said I come from a League Racing Community and regarding such behaviour we had strict rules (been part of the race commission/race marshall myself for a few seasons) - - maybe I'm just a bit too strict in this regard (out of experience) - but believe me : It paid out !
    @Maskerader : Oh, I've seen a lot of races (well not ranked ones in this context) cause I had to review them :rolleyes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kv3nLs8iyVlxnJO9aV-3ivDsoFEtf0SL/view?usp=sharing

My stats : At the very first race I ran into a typical Rookie Server where a lot of wrecking , bumping, and "I'll win the race at T1" was going on, so dropped out, not knowing that it would ruin my stats at that point :).
    4th race there was indeed a lot going on, where I just got inbetween some accidents/incidents, you sometimes can't avoid (the "Shit Happens" factor)...and yes I'm a more defensive racer (while knowing how to defend my position), simply because I know my limits and don't take unneccessary actions against superior/better prepared drivers which mostly would wreak havoc and also costs time and useless effort for the both of us...aka "intelligent driving"...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  6. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I totally got your point as we share exactly the same opinion on this matter. I would rather lose a couple of positions if things go bananas than make some crazy move that could ruin others race, that's just me. In fact Im observing quite similar attitude more often than not in pro ranked races, but you surely come across this type of driver from time to time. Unrespectful, looking for an overtake no matter what, often in a form of a divebomb. Their pace may be better indeed, but they really lack when it comes to clean racing. Hotlappers forgetting they are no longer hotlapping, but actually racing.

The thing is, people are already complaining about losing safety rating as a consequence of someones bad behaviour they could do nothing about. It's hard to develop a proper system that could judge perfectly automaticaly any incident in a race. There were a lot of ideas but even more potential ways to abuse them.

My personal solution? Let them pass. Surprisingly you'll often finish in front anyway. They like to crash as much as not respecting others ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I know and I do exactly that. Karma's there when you need it, not always but quiet often...:D
    Sometimes though....:rolleyes:

8. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    22 incident points in a whole race is not much. That's the amount of points you collect during the first lap in a typical eSports race...

• Like Like x 1
  9. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Fairman by name, harsh man by nature! :D I remember writing one of these, way back when, glad to see it made so much difference! :rolleyes: Save your breath and join a club, only way I've found low frustration racing. When we mob raid a ranked server, having your chums about makes things all feel that much more secure! Removal of all the tossers is just not going to happen, they breed. ;)

10. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    yeah its something that you learn while driving, the hard way. do you live to fight another day or did you wake up and chose violence. sounded like he had an interesting race is all. and you dont want to just start killing off a small player base like that