OpenVR support

Dieses Thema im Forum "General Discussion" wurde erstellt von RaceRoom, 25. Januar 2017.

1. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I believe this contributes to why I am getting such amazing performance, glad someone else confirms and I am not going crazy !!! o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    It's a massive difference.

I was going crazy about the poor performance on my I7 4770K @ 4300Mhz / GTX 1080@2088Mhz. Yesterday evening i saw the comment of Iron Wolf about HyperTreading and without reading your comments it was the first thing i tried this morning.

So after months of waiting and a couple of days performance debugging, now it's finally time to start enjoying R3E

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah glad you got it going nicely now ;) Cyber on the Oculus forums mentioned it many months ago that Rift VR (not sure re Vive) currently works best with cpu's that are stronger single core performers. HT works best where all cores are utilised and I have found that for VR gaming in Dirt Rally, Project Cars, Assetto and now R3E I get better perf with it turned off in the Bios. I rarely load any other game so it doesn't matter for me to leave it always off.
    ps. AccuForce wheel is working nice now eh Hoi ... you still have yours ? I am still fiddling with few settings but it feels really good overall compared to earlier last year.

4. HoiHman

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    The AccuForce is still going strong.:cool:

After having it for over 1,5 years i'm still amazed how good it is.
    The combination of AF, 8 channel simvibe, GS-4 seat and the CV1 is magic.

I'm really happy that i can finally play R3E in VR. Still have a lot of tweaking to do for all systems. ATM i get the best result with gameFFB combined with some SC4 effects.

Are you using game force feedback or the steering feedback foundation of SC4?

5. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah just game forcefeedback and it feels pretty good, haven't tried the Foundation FFB. Similar setup to yours I just upgraded my NL motion from v2 to v3 and I couldn't race without it now, got the v2 a year ago and racing a static rig just feels strange ! :cool:
    Gave up on Forza Horizon 3 after they failed to provide support for separate inputs for wheels,pedals,shifters and even though simxperience sent them an AF long ago I think support ingame will be long time coming if ever... lost opportunity as the gameplay was very nice ... way OT here but cheers mate :D

6. nick spry

nick spry New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This worked great straight out of the box, unlike some other sims I could mention. It's very smooth even on a GTX 970 / i5 7600k.
    I have an issue though, I'm sitting very low in the cars and can't seem to map seat adjustment, either to the buttons on the wheel (G29) or to the keyboard. It lets me map them in the settings okay, but the buttons don't work when in-car. Am I doing something wrong here?

7. HoiHman

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    The movement of the seat adjustment is VERY small. So you have to press up/down a lot in order to find your correct position.

8. nick spry

nick spry New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I didn't realise that, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

9. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I am glad it helped you, but I did not suggest turning HT off to boost GPU load, just as an experiment to see CPU load calculated differently. Well, all games and systems are different.
    If HT is really reducing GPU load, which sorry I doubt, there are tools to schedule game to use only one thread per core. Disabling HT is drastic measure.

10. HoiHman

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    I know you didn't suggest it, but your post about HT gave me the idea to give it a try. I'm not sure what the cause is, but HT prevented the boost function of my GTX1080 in R3E.

Disabling HT might be drastic, but it works and it's really easy to turn it back on again.;)

11. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    @ Iron Wolf, I'm very interested in this, can you say what can happen if you disable hyperthreading, what problems it can cause also what programs do you recommend to us only a single core when gaming?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Again, perf is very complicated topic and S3S probably laugh when they read all this nonsense I type, but anyway.
    Simply put: HT was problematic in P4. Generally, HT makes core run additional thread only when it actually can. OS is full of threads that wake up every second. If those threads use core resources not utilized you get free performance boost because HT will execute their code at the same time. By disabling HT people reduce multi threading efficiency on the system.

There's a program called Process Lasso. But again, I never saw reproducible gains. There are strange things happening with old games: sometimes you start it multiple times, and they have different framerate for some reason. So, basically all of this is snake oil. Let S3S do their job, they'll fix perf or move to DX11 or something.

13. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    You posted your thread and crash report over the weekend bud. It's not surprising no one has taken a look. I imagine these things get looked at in batches anyway or there is no sensible process and way to spot recurring issues, looking at things individually.

Anyway, hope you get your issue sorted

14. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    instead of reboot, you can use "processor affinity" (task manger, right click process - set affinity) and enable every other CPU if your CPU has hyperthreading: CPU 0 off, CPU 1 on, CPU 2 off, CPU 3 on etc. should do the trick.

This will still allow the OS to use all cores, but at least the game's process is pinned to proper cores. s3s can do this themselves via a windows api command (so maybe a worthy commandline switch for them)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Suggestion: Can the Devs please separate G-Force Effects from Cockpit Vibrations please?
    Unfortunately with VR the Cockpit Vibrations can cause nausea, but the G-Force effects do not (for me), so I'd like the Option to lower the Vibrations to an acceptable level but raise the G-Force to a different level.
    As it currently stands adjusting the Cockpit Cam Movement changes both which is not ideal, thanks

16. rubbaDuck

rubbaDuck Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    For me (on i7 4790k stock/GTX980 OCed/20GB RAM) disabling HT did not really change ingame performance (according to Oculus debug tool), Did not check CPU or GPU utilization though.

But I also noticed that GPU does not seem to be the limiting factor... switching between low, medium and high ingame graphics settings results in moderate fps changes only.

Instead performance seems to be heavily dependent on the chosen track. 24h-Nordschleife is hardly playable for me on Nürburgring part of the track. When coming to Nordschleife it gets much much better. Spa and Redbull Ring are running quite good. Also the number of AI cars has big impact on Nürburgring... bigger than it seems to be on Redbull Ring for example.

But overall... whatever I change, even with lowest settings I am not able to reach 90 fps. Never. Anyways... 45 fps and ASW are resulting in a very nice experience for me :)

17. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    any chance that fxaa and ssaa is active in your nvidia-settings?

18. HoiHman

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Just a reminder guys how great ASW actually is......

I'm running R3E with ASW all the time and it's a really smooth experience.

19. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yes it's very track dependant, same for me in AC. I've raced at Indy Road Course this evening and had to turn a few details down as even with ASW I saw some glitches/warping effects where I didn't see them at Brands Indy. Another case for the game to remember graphics settings on a per track basis, that would rock!

20. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Another thing I noticed is that the main "eater" of performance are the mirrors. With mirrors disabled i get much better framerates. I think i get even better frames per second with 10 cars in front of me than with 10 cars behind me (visible in the mirrors). But driving without mirrors is not very comfortable when you know there are (aggressive) drivers behind you.

That and the weird 3d out off sync issue (if a dev reads this, please take a look at my post #138, i think that is important) are the main issues for me now. Everything else is just awesome and with the right settings it looks really great in the Rift.

• Agree Agree x 1