rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mihai, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    In other words we will soon be looking towards the defibrillator :)
    Or less dramatic, an old people's home.

2. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    btw: There's also one aspect which probably distorts R3E players numbers into more positive view than it realistically is. R3E is technically a f2p game, so part of the player stats will be composed of people who are just trying free games, do few laps in Aquilla around Raceway and forget about the whole thing soon after. All the other games we are comparing R3E against require players to purchase them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Indeed and the only company that gives ready access to some figures on turnover is Motorsport Games so it´s hard to know how each one is doing financially.

It´s difficult to pinpoint one reason for RF2s relative resurgence but perhaps they had a down period when MG took them over and now they are actually doing things again. It´s also worth noting that they do also engage more with their player base with regular dev updates on their web and that´s something Reiza and now Rennsport are also doing - RRE used to be like that but it seems something happened in 2021 to change it and since then, apart from new content release info and the occasional car physics blog, there is very little coming through in terms of communication.

Engaging with customers is relatively cheap and easy to do nowadays and the failure to do so makes it easier for players to lose interest as they feel the game is abandoned and merely run as a cash cow - but the milk is drying up.

4. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yeah and that is exactly how I ended up in the Raceroom eco system.
    A free to play game with joystick support. Superb fun btw in my experience.
    Much fun for pennies, that is, until i signed up.
    vrp felt as cheap as chips compared to iRacing.
    But vrp adds up. And if no meaningful online Racing takes in the tracks you own or Cars - then what is the point unless you progress to a private league?

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The reason for rf2 gaining users is almost certainly because LFM has started using it, plus the BTCC content. You only have to look at YouTube to see how much more coverage rf2 is getting with the usual suspects which usually translates to more people over all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Jason does a good job of explaining things regarding the BTCC content.

7. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Personally I am surprised LFM itself has taken off the way it did. Does it do anything different from SRS, JustRace, RaceU and bunch of other alternative simracing ranking services that came and went over last 10 years?

8. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So Am I but all the evidence suggests it will succeed where others failed.
    We have another chance to support a new model.
    The alternative is iRacing which is a monopoly.

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Not really. It's just one of those things. Sometimes something happens at the right time and it takes off. I think the lack of anything organised within ACC helped LFM, and then those racers who were already in the system are more likely to use it with other games too.

10. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    You're repeating the same idea over and over and aren't even adding any arguments to the discussion.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I strongly disagree.
    I am being positive towards LFM and rFactor2 which is the topic.
    You on the other hand are coming across as an overly emotional tool or shill.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  12. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Another well respected YouTuber talking about rFactor2.

13. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Gave rFactor 2 another go after a year or so, and what's annoying is that on the surface, it is clearly improving. The UI is not the most horrible in the sim industry anymore, loading times are also tolerable, physics have never been an issue and it looks and runs better than before.

But then, you spend a couple hours in it and all those annoying little nuances come to the surface again:
    - their VR implementation is still the laziest one on the market. this is the only sim where the devs can't implement a proper lock to horizon feature. driving on Sebring makes my eyes tired after 5 laps
    - it is still impossible to adjust the HUD in any way. the default size is gigantic, the top is written to the sky and the bottom part is way above the ground. it is extremely distracting, the only option is to turn it off completely and try to find third party solutions
    - the quality of the content is extremely fragmented. only the newest official content is guaranteed to have all the latest improvements and it will likely stay that way
    - the AMG GT3 still feels broken compared to other GT3s
    - the left eye screen starts randomly blinking with the Porsche Cup car
    - free tracks released earlier look quite poor now compared to recent official releases

And overall, it just feels outdated. Visually it looks quite cartoonish, the cockpits lack fine details, I don't know... Maybe if it will be possible to use it as an official BTCC or IndyCar sim, with all the cars and tracks in place, I would consider investing more time and money in it, but all these little things are very off-putting.

14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Loading times are definitely better but as you say, the quality of official content is patchy - never mind third party stuff.
    The HUD has several solutions in the workshop but I haven´t found one yet that is scaleable or moveable.
    The most annoying thing I find now is the opponent car sound is as loud as mine and there seems no way to turn it down.

15. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I had my first instability with rFactor 2 tonight ...my force feedback died mid lap. After reading several other posts where others experienced the same issue, I had to map a precious button for a reset.
    Loading times are ok on my ssd.
    I like both official and unofficial content.

16. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    As far as HUD goes, I solved it through Simhub, just combined bunch of stuff from few different overlays to get me close to my R3E OtterHud layout. This is roughly what I used in few recent rF2 races:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Is Simhud free like OtterHud or is it another additional cost?
    The last hub I downloaded was free, but then it become incapacitated and wanted dosh.

18. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Simhub is free and universaly functional across all major sims, with probably hundreds of overlays of various styles available for free download on RaceDepartment etc. You can combine the widgets, resize them, move and so on. I think Simhub does have some premium tier you can unlock through some financial support, and it unlocks some extra features, but I am not sure what those are, the regular overlay functionality is free. The only downside may be if you're stretched on performance, it could induce some frame drops - same as OtterHud and other types of external overlays.

19. Nick Thorn

Nick Thorn Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Did you run the free version in order to make your hud like that?
    That is exactly how I have my AAC hud, Gear shifts centre front.
    If so could you share your config file?

20. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I have a free Simhub version. It's not a single config file, but a mix of widgets mostly from these 3 packs I believe. Perhaps there's a bit from something else too, but this is most of it. I wasn't going beyond RD, you can dig through the "misc" section for rF2 downloads for more.
    https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/simhub-overlay-acc-rfactor2-hud.30921/
    https://www.racedepartment.com/down...overlay-standings-relative-tires-radar.45898/
    https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rf2-simhub-overlays.55270/

• Like Like x 1