Sort out the AI and RRE can be a great sim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peevee88, Apr 9, 2016.

1. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Bump.

There definitely is more problems with the AI now than before. I just raced couple of short races with GT3 in Mid Ohio and there were very noticeable problems with the current AI logic that didn't exist before:

1. AI cars are very unaware of player car and even each other. Before this patch, the most wonderful thing about R3E AI was that you could trust them. Even in tight Bathurst corners, if you came in cleanly and kept your line, both AI and you could get through without even scratching the doors. Now, for example in Mid Ohio, AI can even do foolish driving lane changes in the middle of the long straigth, not to mention on the corners. Door banging is almost constant now, both player vs. AI and AI vs. AI.

2. AI cars are all over the place. They allmost seem to be using digital controllers, as they are turning with steps. With the couple of last patches AI behaved very smoothly. Possibly because of this unorthodox driving method, AI seems to be sliding on corners very often, which at least with GT3s looks very unrealistic. It is like they are driving with totally worn out tires and are desperate just keeping the car on track. They also drive their tires easily on gravel/grass when trying to pass even on straigths. Crazy guys...

3. Big grids is wonderful thing, but in most tracks going over 30 just causes a pile up. AI simply can't handle the situation. By the way, in Mid Ohio, if you set 30 AI and start from the back, you are greeted with automatic drive through penalty because of cutting the track, although your car is on the track while under automatic control.

4. They are extremely slow now, just like many here have said.

I really hope those issues can be rectified sooner than soon, at least so that the behaviour would be near something we've seen during the last year or so, and added with the blue flag behaviour. I must say that the changes in AI mechanics for this patch, in my experience, are mostly negative.

2. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I guess I throw in some more.

Did a race on Zandvoort today, midrace on the start/finish line, the Ai car in front of me steped on the brakes for no reason, there was no car in front, the Ai just slowed down and let me pass. I almost crashed into the Ai because it was so slow, I was like 0.750 seconds behind him.

Yesterday I did race on Laguna. I had a hard battle with one Ai car, then after like 50% of the race I managed to pass the car on the inside, after it goes downhill and into a left turn to start and finish. I did a very clean pass, I was in front - guess what the Ai did.
    Tried to move on my line, hit me on my right back side of the car and went of the track. Like I wasn't there.

On Nordschleife VLN, the Ai always and I mean it ALWAYS spins in turn one, then they spin at the fast right/left/right/left part, when you enter the Green Hell and they also litter up at the karussell. I don't even know what they do there. They always litter up there, mostly in lap 2. All I have to do there is take the high route and pass like 10 cars. It's insane.

Seriously, give your Ai coder some junkfood and redbull for the weekend, lock the door, throw the key away and let him do his work.

GT3 Class.

3. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Last night I was racing formula Jr pn Nordschleife and a bunch of ai stacked up behind one of the barriers at the end of the long straight. Probably a third of the ai (32 cars). Sat there for maybe 10 minutes trying to sort themselves out. Didn't looked at the replay but I'm assuming 1 or 2 spun and the others stacked up. But it was totally off the track and racing line.

4. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I have had a similar experience with the new AI. On some tracks they seem to behave very badly but on others they race well - i did a race at Euro Speedway in the Formula Raceroom Jnr at 115% difficulty and it was really entertaining.

5. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I know It's only 2 hours ago I posted last but I am at a point now, where it is only frustrating to play this.
    It was already bad when I first played the sim, it didn't get any better after the big update and I am not in the mood to wait 6 months for an Ai update, that probably change nothing. Maybe the Ai was even worse in the past, I don't know but that doesn't mean, that the Ai is good now. I am sick of restarting races over and over.
    I really hate to overtake the Ai during the start, only because they are too stupid. I hate to restart because they push me off the road. I just can't stand it anymore. I hate that the way they control the car is far from a human being. Have you ever watched a Ai car from cockpit few? As testers and devs you can't tell me that you think the Ai is "fine". How could you release an Ai update in this bad state? With cars spinning out in every second corner? Don't tell me you never experienced any problems.
    The Ai act like total idiots. I am sorry. I am pretty much out until this is sorted. Also, your adaptive Ai should change during practice, qualy and not after you did a whole race weekend. It's pretty stupid when they have good speed in the first race so you have some good fights and in the next race they drive like Aliens and you hold back half of the field while the other half gains like 3 seconds every lap. If you can't do it better on your own, get some help from outside. Well, now it's all out. Have a nice weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    AI = Artificial Idiots

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My experience so far is that when i use a gap that is left by an AI, it recognises the front and middle of my car. They go aside when they notice that im going for the inside pass. But once my rear wheels are at the front wheels of the AI car they turn in. So it seems that the AI does not recognize the backend of the car.
    The thing i do like is that the AI defends quit well on Bathurst They make themselves very wide. While i am a full second faster it is very hard to make a clean pass. And once i have a clean pass the AI turns me over by bumping my rear as they apparently want to get into my slipstream as fast as possible (a bit too fast i recon:confused:).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    For me AI in R3E one of the best (or maybe simple best). Just what i don't like - they don't see difference between qualification and the race, and don't see difference during qualification between fast lap and going from pit lane.

9. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Since the last patch I love the AI. It feels much more alive than before, where I felt like racing against robots driving on rails. And I had much less trouble with big grids in the first corner or lap than before. In the past I got frustrated most of the time when racing against AI. They crashed and spinned me around and it did not seem as if I could do anything to prevent it. Now, when I fail, I always know that it was my fault and what was my mistake.

As there are many different opinions regarding the AI behaviour, the game should offer different AI styles, independent from strength or adaption.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    IMO new AI got some good qualities with the latest patch, but it also made many things worse compared to AI behaviour we've seen during the last year or so. It is not of course at the level of AC or pC AI badness, but ATM I think rF2 has better one and perhaps even GSCE, so to me it seems that the AI took one steap ahead and two back. If we'd just have the general workings of the earlier AI added with the blue flag behaviour, improved racing lines and unpredictability like random mistakes introduced with the patch, we'd have perhaps the best AI out there. This is of course my opinion only, but I pointed out some of my findings in earlier post, which to me eats away the current AI credibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I see random mistakes sometimes. I posted video with it, several mins ago

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    There sure are and I didn't claim otherwise. We seem to have them sometimes even too many, as I clearly struggles with some specific corners.

13. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, that's the holy grail they're chasing atm. Flag logic + improved lines + better awareness + imperfections = massive change, which obviously took its toll. But hang in there, Robert will fix em up good. ;)
    Would very much favour this too, but sadly it wouldn't work due to dynamic track conditions. The grip level changes from session to session so if they were to adapt to your performance during practice you'd easily beat them in the following quali or race session due to the higher grip.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The_Grunt

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I don't have any doubts that he wouldn't. After all, it is good that S3S are developing it although it may take couple of steps and some experimenting:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    This is my biggest gripe with the AI.

Some examples:
    Went in the pit at shanghai, braked a bit early to avoid a speed penatly, the AI who also drove to the pit just smashed in to me. Engine gone, first place gone.

Went wide on Monza and was standing still on the track (no race line). Suddenly the AI smashed in to me.
    A blind monkey could see my car standing still on a straight but the AI couldn't.

I passed an AI car at Zandvoort at the last corner and the AI wanted to pit.
    He just smashed in to me because I was on the right side and the only way to enter the pit is through me obiously.

They have no awareness.
    I am racing and looking in the mirror hoping I don't get wecked if I brake a bit to early or go wide.
    If you race perfect the AI is probably ok, but I make mistakes and the AI just doesn't react in a normal way.
    It just seems worse the last few patches.

16. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a problem with the AI as far as competitiveness or awareness, I can deal with that. What I do have a problem with the is car to car contact physics, it is very hard to race in close quarters, to rub paint. The effect of touching another car is like a billiard ball hitting the table rails. For kicks, a while back (bored) I had purchased Wreckfest and while I may only start it up for a few laps one a month (not my cup of tea but was cheap) or so to see the games progress there is one trait what they've got down pretty good, car to car contact. It is easy to race in traffic, other than the AI tries to kill you. You can rub paint and the effect of touching another car is what I would expect - I don't bounce off the other car. I've used Wreckfest as a gauge of collision physical ONLY! It is not in anyway a sim, please don't bother beating me up :eek: There are other sims that I prefer the collision effects, actually R3E is the worst in this one area. Man, if this could be corrected, it would be hard for me to pull myself away when racing AI. As it is now, it is hard to finish a race unless I'm out front or stay far way from the AI.

Wreckfest is hilarious if nothing else!

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    As I experienced, this stupid smashing into players car is nothing new. I had a spin in Nürburgring in the chicane just before start/finish and was standing still. My car faced wrong direction and I could observe what the AI did. So, the slowed down for the chicane, they could see me, they were really slow in the chicane and, of course, they crashed me. They could have easily avoided it by just leaving the line a bit or brake until I got out of their way. This happened to me long time before the update, so nothing new here.

18. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Is there is something wrong with their speed? I have to use 115-120 most of the time and if i know a track and car only a little, i easily end up in front, after doing few laps of practice. Don't know how fast they were earlier, but in rF or AMS i usually use something around 100-105 for AI.

19. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    This is a real weak area of R3E unfortunately. Collision physics just don't feel natural at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Personally I've found it really depends on if you're racing people or AI. Against AI the collisions tend to feel 'off' a bit as the AI cars tend to 'give' or 'react' much less to player collisions. In multiplayer most of the collisions feel fairly standard/good to me unless someone has a ping over 300.