The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Many people complain about frame losses with W10. Maybe some Windows update to W10 itself solved it for you.

I can just repeat, both AC and R3E run smooth for me. I had a small hickcup at Spa R3E when I did not realise that somehow shadows had been reswitched from medium to high, probbaly by a former update !?, setting them back to medium immediately cured it.

I find it hard to get used to the looks of Spa in AC again, I must admit. By looks, the R3E version is better. There are some minor differences in elevations and - even less obvious - camber. So the AC version once again is the physics-wise more realistic one, probably. But the difference is not big, and gets overcompensated by the better looks of R3E's track. The physics differences between both Monzas and Nürburgrings, and even more so: Zandvoort, I think are bigger.

BTW, AC 1.3 has entered Beta testing stage end of last week. Its about time to roll our cars out for Barcelona, which will come in two track layouts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Could somebody tell me how to enable virtual mirror in cockpit view?

3. Sven Stöcker

Sven Stöcker Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    F11

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gerbuho

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Sven

5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I have some hope that at next week's end we maybe see 1.3, Barcelona, new AI and physics tweaks, plus I think 7 or 8 new cars. But I must admit that for the last week I have not even touched AC. I'm too busy with the last season races of my DTM season in R3R. Think it might be a good idea to have the last race being done before Sector3 releases the new things and maybe saved games with old DTM seasons are incompatible with the state of things inside R3E. :)

6. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Sorry m8, but i have to say i hope you not gonna be able to finish your old saved championships, i would like to get the new content ASAP :p.

7. Gerbuho

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Ha, I'm in a rush too with DTM 2013 & 2014 and ADAC 2014. I'm still in first rounds in DTMs so I'm only longing for the new ADAC really.

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ha, just one race, Zandvoort, missing. Should be done until Wednesday or even Thursday. I doubt that any new content for R3E is coming before next week at the earliest.

Tight season, I'm fourth in the championship, but the first five drivers all still can win the championship, theoretically. So much fun and motivation and quite some excitement. I deeply regret that things like this get so underestimated by Kunos, I think they do a very big mistake there. Two messed-up pitstops (speeding at pitlane entry or exit) probably costed me the championship. Drama of this kind cannot be had in AC, which is a shame - and is the reason why I again do races in R3E in the main. Currently the plug is pulled on AC for me.

I like that Barcelona is coming to AC, it is a track I always liked to drive. But honestly said: I would prefer to get it for R3E instead.

9. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Honestly im not a big AC fun, i start it time to time but something is missing, for me it just doesnt have the X factor. the interior looks great for sure, the tracks are not designed as good as in R3E but they are good, the FFB for me is very hectic in AC, for some cars it is great for some i just cannot feel anything, and im sorry but im not gonna tweak the ffb settings every time i change the car.... , and the worst part in AC for me the sounds, those are just ruining the whole immersion....actually the sounds are not bad...they are terrible....when i start the engine in r3e, its just makes me smile like a kid at the christmas tree, when i do the same in AC its just "oh really - what the fck is that...?"
    dont get me wrong, i understand that many ppl plays AC, and im not telling it is a bad game or it is worst than r3e or others, its just not for my taste i guess. i have had some great races and fun with AC as well (especially on Doniongton, it is one of my favourite track and unfortunatelly not available in r3e...), but when im in racing mood, without question i will start r3e instead of AC.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Nothing wrong with different tastes, Drei. Regarding the immersion of racing events, I even agree to some degree - this, and the lacking pre-1.2 AI (which was awful) were the reasons that led me to R3R, actually. When I want to dogfight in AI races and have a racing event atmosphere I can dive into , I go with R3E these days. When I am after simply driving for the purpose of enjoying the experience of driving itself, I go with AC. But AC is no atmosphere monster, no doubt. Feels more like a lab, and the player conducting sober experiments. :)

I will not stop recommending therefore not to chose between the two, but to use both. Works great for me. :) Currently, R3E gets more playing time from me, however.

I will not make myself many friends at Assetto Corsa forums :D, but I admit I expect the Raceroom version of the Nordschleife to become the better looking one, compared to AC's Nordsdchleife. Since both will be laserscanned, it indeed is about the different visual graphics style deciding the duel. And I think in this Raceroom has a clear lead not just over AC, but in the whole genre. I love the Raceroom tracks, the way they look. S3 has an excellent team of artists working on tracks, they could consider themselves lucky with them. I realised that first when the excellent Salzburg mod came out for AC and I then got it in Raceroom as well (same artist). I was stunned.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  11. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    @Skybird - I wish I could 'agree' and 'like' at the same time.

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
  13. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    So I heard from a friend that AC community has started project (mod) that keeps track of your "skill" and fair play giving you a score and a grade. It looks very interesting and even tho it doesn't have the capability to determine who is faulty in case of an accident (both players get a penalty in terms of points) the system rewards clean (and not smelly lol) drivers in the long run. I think R3E is working on something similar already (based on what I've read in their interview) but in the meantime I wonder if this could something achievable with the shared memory thing we have at our disposal... @mr_belowski, @pixeljetstream, @Stefan Mizzi guys something your skilled hands and brains might handle? :D

Forgot to post the link:
    http://www.minorating.com/PerformanceRating

14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ^ The project name to look out for, probably is "minorating".

Since MP is not my interest, I cannot say much about this project, since I do not care much. But it seems to earn good reputation amongst the MP people.

P.S. Bump. You gave the name via that link already. Blind nut I am.

15. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    very simply you could rate people on finishing by looking at the results xml file but im not sure if you can black list people currently in raceroom.

the way it would work is the dedi server will upload the results file to a server which will then read the file and determine if a player had finished (this could even be done using java script i think) which would then write a blacklist file for people who dont finish a % of their races.

you could also rank players similarly based off anything within the results file.

16. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @::SKRO:: no interest in such work, doesn't sound fun to me.

17. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Hear ya man! I understand...

18. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I could do it but aint gonna happen :). I would mad with an algorithm for figuring out correct ways of calculating driver safety

19. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Kunos announces 1.3 will be released on Wednesday 7th. They admit to have had a 1 week delay.

20. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's quite a sterile game, lacking in atmosphere and character. Don't get me wrong, I like AC and it's a game I fire up every few weeks, but whenever I drive it I can't help thinking I'd rather be playing R3E.

To me R3E is undoubtedly the better game in terms of content, sound and AI. Not everyone will agree but I feel R3E has cleaner, more appealing visuals too, with better track artistry. Physics don't feel too inferior to AC. In fact I would rather drive my favourite class of cars (GT3) in R3E.

It's been said before that AC is a driving sim and R3E is a racing sim and that's exactly how I feel about it. Perhaps the incoming physics updates for R3E can even the score on the driving physics? Equally, maybe Kunos can inject more character into AC with better AI and improved race weekend experience? Basically make AC feel like a racing sim rather than a neat physics demo that just happens to have some other cars on the track at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 8