The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Monza's tree sections are killing my fps as well... not really killing but all those stutters are really annoying.
    GTX 760 2GB

2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    R3E has been largely crappy for me since the patch in July. It's just about unplayable. I had good frame rates before but now on most tracks, it's like a slide show in places.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You surely mean Nordsschleife Endurance. After reading your complaint, I checked the track bug forum of AC and saw no specific reports logged for Nordschleife issues since 1.2.x. Also, I embarked on a two lap race with 24 Ferrari 312 at the Nordschleife Endurance, and noted no issues.

It could indeed be your Windows 10, there was some thread title indicating that Windows 10 gives some people troubles with graphics drivers. Early adopter's risk. Personally I will not touch W10 before building a new system in 2016 or 2017. My current one runs fine still after 4 years countring, no need to hurry. Since I refuse Microsoft the right to enforce just all and every updates on me (even just recommended ones like for example gfx drivers, which I strictly prefer NOT to update without really needing a new driver), and since this can only be switched off in W10 with some of the higher versions, the "download-for-free-deal" is not for me anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  4. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I'll try with the Ferraris as you did. I was trying with 18 GT3s and it was awful every time. Did the same at Silverstone and Spa, and I got my usual 60s all the way, so by far it drops only at the schleife.

5. Gerbuho

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Did some tests and:

24 Ferrari 312 - Perfect
    24 BMW M30 - Perfect
    18 GT3 - Awful
    18 GT2 - Even worse, never passed 16 FPS :confused:

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I do full fields of GT2/3/C cars there all the time, and still so, without such problems.

You may want to send an SOS in their own technical support forum, maybe somebody in the crowd knows advise.

You could also try a full and clean installation of your graphics drivers. Maybe during your Win10 migration something went wrong. GFX drivers are strongly recommended to be reinstalled fresh and clean after migrating to W10. You said you have issues in R3E as well, so I do not think it is only AC-related.

Clean installation of GFX drivers always mean NOT to keep any profiles and settings, but to retune it all after installation. But try the problematic games first without pushing settings to all maximums. Some performance enhancing driver default settings of course should be switched on.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  7. Gerbuho

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I'll try, thanks.

BTW, the issue in S3E is only in Monza and was there before, so basically RaceRoom works as it did.

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    1.2.4 is live, 16 MB. The patch focusses on fixing the before mentioned braking and ABS issues and also tunes electronics regarding ABS and TC, plus some database naming issues.

It is reiterated that braking with ABS works best in straight lines, turning increases braking distance. This must be understood, since braking distance still are different to what people are used to - and it is claimed that this is realistic. Personally I can only say that AC should be driven not like a toy in a sim (because nobody would be insane enough daring to drive in reality like he uses to hellride in a sim), but like the real car in reality.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Small hotfix of 6MB or so brings AC to version 1.2.5, curing some issues with too fast blistering of some tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 3
  11. garytc78

garytc78 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I know something you dont know: the lamborghini veneno will be included in the upcoming dream pack 2 :)

12. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
  13. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    If you're waiting for the TT cup series for R3E and want to give em a go in AC, check Race Department for the mod for AC and rF2

Drives pretty well and is a heck of a lot of fun

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  14. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the thumbs up.

15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Latest dev stream shows their upcoming Barcelona circuit. The new release will also see improved AI performing smoother, more reliable, but slightly slower as well, and maybe (maybe not) changes to the tyre model again, (if not now, these will come later).

Go to 13:45 for Barcelona cockpit demo, go to 40:00 for outside camera angles:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    In is latest stream from this sunday, Kunos' Stefano revealed that they made more changes to the tires which now have a far more complex and dynamic temperature model, also some important changes in the algorithms for suspension, if I understood that correctly. This results in clearly noticable changes in the driving behavior, especially in fast turns. He also took back his remakrs from last time that the AI became smoother but also slightly slower - in fact it was a fault in the fuel weight calculation affec ting the car. They have corrected that and also chnaged the racing lines for the AI - resulting in the AI now leaving him in the dust. It seems it has gotten awesomely fast now, if I should believe his words. The race video, again from Barcelona, supported that claim, he qualified last - beaten by several seconds. In last time's video, he was able to keep up with the top ranks. No more.

There was more info, but these details where the important things imo. I think we will indeed see more really solid improvements in the AI.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  17. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    It's the one thing that I love about the Kunos Dev Team, they constantly strive to improve all aspects of the sim and it's physics, whilst still managing to produce new content and laser scanned circuits. It's no wonder AC is the "go to Sim" for the majority of the community.

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    They are good at what they asre doing, no doubt. But I increasingly feel the lack of AC not being a "full" package", the racing as an event simply lacks any atmosphere. Car modelling is superb, so are the physics. But just yesterday I had a talk with somebody in the Kunos forum, and I called it a car-focussed sim, and he called it a "physics-sim". Thinking of it, I liked his term. There is truth in it. They are focussed up to tunnel-view-level on driving and the car itself, but underestimate the importance of immersion and atmosphere. Race presentation as an event is poor. The action unfolded by the AI left to itself, is event-less, the field spreads after start, and form second lap on they do their own race, all alone with them,selves for the most. These are some of the things were R3E does a very much better job already.

The new AI in R3E tamed the unpredicted events in races and the AI cars making mistakes, so the race currently is a bit less dramatic again than before the last AI upgrade. But it was said somewhere that that was due to some mistake S3 made, and that they plan to bring this back to the AI. I put my highest hopes into this announcement, it is the one thing that probably took my attention first when I came to R3E in late March.

I accepted the described lack of race-related atmoshere and event presentation in AC as part of "Early Access", but the sim was released as full 1.0 almost one year ago - and still it has the charm and atmosphere of a sterile laboratory. Its perfect in what it focusses on, but its also "cold". It focusses too extreme on what oit does, maybe, ignroign too much of the other factors that also belong to a race sim package. Since months now I see my own personal interest drifting away from it, gently, naturally, without any force or intention. It seems that Kunos goes a way that will not hold my loyalty for endlessly longer. I'm not angry, though, but a bit sad and a bit disappointed after these over two years.

Its the one - and only - thing were I totally disagree with Kunos (referring to Stefanos past stream where he commented on these things), and Aris' open letter some weeks ago. Its not that I would say they are wrong with their focus, they are not - they are not complete.

Reminds of netKartpro 1.3, unfortunately. Sensational, superior physics package in its time - and the charms and warmth of an iceberg and (I do not mean the lack of a SP AI in it).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  19. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    But if I understood it correctly, AC 1.3 is going 64Bits and gets an x64 executable. :) Physics will go multithreaded.

20. Gerbuho

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Gotta say it, AC is alive for me again. The problem with the schleife is gone as it came, and now I'm able to enjoy it again. :D

So I tried Spa again and I was surprised to see how much I'm used to R3E performance, to the point I didn't notice how bad the new Spa runs (stuttering)... until I went to AC's Spa, I got perfect 60 FPS all the way (as in every other track there, including the schleife now) wich makes R3E's Spa performance look really bad.