Problem Video and graphics settings

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by nolive721, Jun 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Hello

been into VR since recently with the use of a QUEST2. Managed to get it to run super well in RRE but as I have also a 4k TV as my main Display, I do sometimes play on the Big screen

now my questions

1. Is there a simple way to switch from VR to 4K graphics settings, and vice versa, before launching a Game session?I don't see the possibility to set2 different Graphics mode and save them in Game
    2. When in Game going to change video or graphics settings after a VR session, whatever I try to change being resolution or a graphics parameter, RRE will get in freezing loop and I need to kill the Game and again changing one parameter, freezing, killing the game, relaunch until I have all my settings done
    Thanks a lot for any guidance here

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    If you're talking about in-game settings, then you can save Documents\My games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\graphics_options.xml file containing proper settings, save it somewhere on your PC, then swap the files when you need to change it. You can also create simple .bat files to avoid doing it manually every time. Depending on what's needed to run the game in VR (I don't know, never tried), maybe you can even wrap it all into two .bat files and add them to Steam for ease of use.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  3. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    was kind of worried about getting such answer. I need to dig into a bat file creation tutorial then. thanks

4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    It shouldn't be complicated. The very basic is this:
    Code:
    copy /y graphics_options_VR.xml graphics_options.xml
    Create an empty file, call it "useVRsettings.bat" and put this line in it. The file should be in this folder: Documents\My games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\

I can try and help you if you want.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    cool m8, will give it a try later today:D

6. nolive721

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    ok finally found the time to set it up and test today. It works, this is the way my Game folder looks like.I use the 4K bat when I play in DESKTOP mode and VR when I want to use the QUEST2 instead
    upload_2023-7-1_13-10-32.png

only remaining challenge is that to enjoy the full VR experience with my QUEST2,I followed the good advice of a user on DISCORD which is to put this argument in the Launch Options then start the Game in standard mode (not STEAMVR 64bit) or it will deliver poor VR performance in Game.

If I could find away to automate the Game launch when I want to play in DESKTOP mode rather than VR, it would be perfect. Now I have to delete this line from the Launch Option to play in DESKTOP mode, and put it back when I wan to play in VR
    Just few seconds to do but again, if there was a more efficient way,I would be very happy

upload_2023-7-1_13-15-59.png

7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yes, there is a way. You can pass these parameters to the game through the bat file too, and even do it in the same .bat file that you use to change settings.

For example, this is a file that I use to simultaneously launch the game and OtterHUD's dash.exe:
    Code:
    "C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\x64\RRRE64.exe" -cefEnableGPU -webHudUrl=https://otterhud.github.io/
    "C:\Misc\RaceRoom\otterhud\dash.exe"
    You can do the same in your .bat file, but you need to use a full path to the .exe (like I did in mine) because it's in a different folder.

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Then you can even add your .bat files to Steam, although it's not straightforward.
    1) Open Steam, in the menu at the top click "Games" > "Add third-party game...".
    2) Don't select your .bat file, instead select add ANY .exe file, doesn't matter which one. It will be added to your library.
    3) Next, right-click on what was added in your library and click Settings.
    4) Here you can change the path to the file, put the path of your .bat file there instead of that .exe you added. Also change the name of that library item while you're there. It might won't show the new name right away and might require to close the Library tab and open it again.