When will be the Porsche GT3 R fixed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muca, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    The Porsche GTR3 R is overpowered even on tracks where it should be bad.
    What is wrong imo?
    - stability control, waaaay too easy to drive. On the edge it is not easy to control, here it is by far the easiest car.
    - way too much horsepower and speed
    - broken gt3 multiplayer because of that.
    - dont like it, it is too easy and feels very wrong.
    - porsche gt3 r should eat tires like crazy. Not here...
    - wth is this sound
    - most people drive the porsche with 0 wing, not that hard to handle. Undriveable in real life.

disclaimer: had nothing to do in real life with the 2017 version but it is not that different. The Ruf is way more realistic than the Porsche right now.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. The Dandy Highwayman

The Dandy Highwayman Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It's not broken.

I find it roughly on par with most other GT3R cars.

The launch speed is the only thing i'd ever dial back, personally, but, the overall speed is fine.

And 0 clicks =//= 0 degree wing

3. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps you arent getting the most out of other cars? The 911 GT3 R is on pace with all the rest, without being OP. It's not even the fastest in a straight line. Beyond that, GT3 cars arent hard to drive, so that is true to life.

It sounds like you know how the car drives in real life though since you claim exactly that?

If you could try something for a moment though... Can you go to Steam, and right click on RaceRoom. Then click properties and go to the local files tab. At the bottom of this window, can you post your content build id #.

Wellll...

The last update actually changed this (for the gt3 cars specifically). It used to show 'clicks' in the setup, but now it shows 'degrees.' So, there are a few GT3 cars that have a range of 0-7 or so, while others have a range of 7-14 or so.

I think it makes more sense to just refer to it as 'minimum wing' because i cannot comprehend how a wing with 0 degrees of angle makes any sense :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I find it more rewarding to race in an average car and beat drivers in the Porsches or Corvettes ... and if I don't, I can always make the excuse of being in a "slower" car, soo I should be beat and if not it means I am a better driver... in a slower car :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    We will always have the gurney flap to remember... ^^

Seriously tho, guess it also depends on where exactly you measure those degrees, because nowadays most wings are upswept (if that's the right word for what I mean).

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I suppose I am old school in my thought that a wing means it will always be at a harsh angle to force the car against the road.

These modern day aero packages do my head in :p

7. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I don't see the Porsche being any faster than the other GT3 cars. It is definitely slower on the straights. I really like the way it feels driving it, but that doesn't make it faster. After seeing this thread yesterday, I did some tests on Road America to see what the new BOP did with the Corvette and the Porsche. After lowering the wing and a few minor changes to balance both for neutral handling, the Callaway Vette averaged .5 second faster. The AMG was .5 second slower, but that was a default setup other than the low wing. if we averaged 3 types of track, I would think the BOP is pretty good as is. The Bentley was a bit fast before the last update. Did they change the Bentley this time?

8. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I never raced it myself but I've worked several years in a pro team that used to use Porsche GT3. I had to watch a lot of onboard footage including the telemetry, talked obviously a lot with drivers who were among the best with Porsches.

The straight line speed of the Porsches pre 2014 was fantastic. After the body kit that was introduced 2014 the bop hammer hit the porsches. They had more grip but were lacking very hard at the straight line.

GT3 cars are kind of easy to drive but by far not that forgiving like the Porsche in R3E is. Even good amateur drivers use several clicks of traction control while the pros dont use it all. With Porsches at least.

Reduce the power and get rid of the stability control thing you implemented.

Could I ask you what driver said the physics of the porsche on the edge is spot on or kind of spot on? Especially the Porsche is very vulnerable on the edge

edit: build number is 2486089

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    First off, if you could check your build id, that would be nice. Some people were having issues after the last update, where the steam didnt properly update the files, so some cars felt wrong.

Besides that, what speeds are you reaching on what tracks? Bathurst is our highest top speed track, and the Porsche is well below the fastest cars which hit 285+ kmh.

Well, there is no stability control built in. This is all the physics based on the data used. And you sort of said it yourself there, some people need traction control while others dont. Racing in a game is far less risky than racing with an expensive car in real life, so we can take more risks whereas an amateur driver in real life may want to make sure he is as safe as possible.

And to that point, the default setup on the 911 is incredibly sterile/safe. Lower the wing, decrease the front suspension, and increase the rear ARB and the car wont feel safe any longer.

I dont have any knowledge of this, so I dont have anything to share in that regard. All the cars, where applicable, were tested against their real life laptimes from available data... to which, the Porsche was properly matching.

Dont forget though, that RR has 19 gt3 cars and around 40 tracks. So the BOP isnt going to be perfect, and some cars will excel at certain tracks. Not to mention each drivers individual skill plays a massive role.

Hmm, it was mentioned on discord, and I think here on the forum, but I cant find the exact post. The Bentley was actually a bit slow before and got a small boost to downforce :p

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Obviously I don't know what his comments were in detail or how deep he was actually involved, but afaik Carrera Cup driver Marius Nakken was, among other pro drivers, involved during the development of the Porsches.

11. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    What are the reference for the BOP? 1Lap... 10 min... 30min or a full stint and which tracks have been used to perform it? With 1s-0,5s/lap difference between the fastest and the slowest car around any track that's an ENTERINTY :eek: As for now I don't see or hear the Porsche being slow on any track in R3E... so yes the BOP for that specific car is a little off. With that said races are not using the full potential of the BOP, as it's more likely to work properly for a full stint, and with most races lasting between 15-40 min it's quite obvious it never come in to real effect :cool:

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    On sunday at the 90min of Road America with CFER I was in the Bentley and had a long fight with a 911 GT3 R and on straights I was way faster but he caught up in braking zones and tight corners.
    I never had the feeling that the 911 GT3 R was overpowered or had an advantage of any kind.

I think you need to give it a more aggressive setup and ditch the conservative default one.

• Like Like x 2
  14. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    A good place to start might be with the ADAC calendar. Some of the cars (well a lot) raced this past season, so using those times to see if you can match is a good place to start. So, that would mean all the tracks from the season that we have in game. Among others like Bathurst and Road America... and of course some classics like Spa.

BOP isnt something you just do over night, and this has been an ongoing process since the initial overhaul released. Sector3 of course was looking at some times on the leaderboards to see if there were some outliers, such as the Z06.

The process of adjusting BOP can take weeks to do, and isnt just something that can be done promptly. Since you need to test all 19 cars extensively at a variety of tracks, and not simply for 1 lap each. As well as test the fuel loads and fuel use.

I can safely say that I among other testers spent the past month working on BOP, so when we say, "it's pretty close for all cars"... It's pretty close for all cars. Most people dont use all 19 cars extensively on a lot of different tracks to get their absolute best out of the car before taking to the forum to decry the BOP. Not that you guys are, this is just generally speaking. Of course, personal driving style, your own custom setups, and experience on a particular track are all variables that will make the BOP impossible to get perfect.

I certainly agree though that some cars dont 'feel' as quick as others, and personally, I dont excel in a few of the cars. And then some cars almost require a custom setup if you want to be quick, as some of the defaults leave a lot to be desired imo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Many modern wing designs still create downforce when set to 0 degree angle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tonygee 2

tonygee 2 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I found the Gt3 nice to drive out of the box but that Gt cup car is a different story
    But hey that's racing cars haaa

17. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I agree, but don't think it has something to do with "modern". A wing on a racecar still has the profile of a planes wing, only turned upside down. Even at 0° angle it will produce downforce just because of the profile.

But the term "angle" in general is hard to apply to something with the profile of a wing though. At some point a straight line from which this angle is to be measured must be defined.

18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, guess we better change the name from angle to sth more....abstract, like, Idk, clacks maybe? ^^

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    regarding to the performance of the 911 GT3R. I'm not sure if it is overpowered... maybe it is just very good in many aspects/disciplines - so a bit similar to the Ford GT in the last Physics-Gen.

In Multiplayer after the old Corvette Z06 GT3 was corrected it is pretty notable that there are now very often Porsches in the Front-Rows.

20. The Dandy Highwayman

The Dandy Highwayman Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My opinion on that is.. there's just more people driving the newer car.

From the testing of the group I regularly game with, the laptimes of most of the GT3 cars is within a couple of tenths at most circuits, it's just down to setup and driver to get the most out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1