Are Raceroom Physics realistic ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TundraGrad4, Dec 18, 2017.

1. fdeutsch

fdeutsch New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I removed all FFB slip as I do not like the feeling when lateral grip is lost while turning. If that setting affect also braking I may play with it. The problem I have, at least with the GT3 and most non open wheel cars, is I am not able to lock the brakes.

2. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    The slip effect helps me to know when I'm going to lock the wheels cause vibrations are increasing or changing.
    You can't lock brakes on GT3 cause they have ABS, try the Porsche Cup if you want easy break lock. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bailing_Out

Bailing_Out New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think I had a good response and then I saw they have a goat simulator game and then my brain fell out of my head.

4. apex11

apex11 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    We need to work out what 'arcade' even means. Is i simply an off the cuff slight with no real value? Or does it mean and easy way to say "its too easy"

If it is the latter then in REAL racing many racing cars are 'easy' to drive, its finding the limits and dipping over them to extract the most performance out of them that is the difficult / skillful part....
    If 'arcade' is easy then by definition a modern day GT3 car should be 'arcade', they are customer cars for rich gentleman drivers with all sorts of driver aids and big aero etc.
    The manufacturers are trying to sell them to these teams / rich guys so no one I can assure you is deliberately trying to engineer a GT3 racing car to be garbage to drive and handle...
    Sims do now reflect this for the most part, even RF2 have admitted they had the tyre grip wrong all this time (long story)...

So yes this arcade stuff needs to be put to bed.....Forza is the very worst game for racing car grip, its utter trash total ice skating, so so wrong..... then you get idiots suggesting that only mortals can even get a GT3 car round a corner without dying.....utter utter garbage.....
    And this is all before we even talk about the tyres!! (most important part)
    RACING CARS ARE ENGINEERED TO BE AS AWESOME AS THEY CAN BE....THIS MEANS GRIP, POWER, HANDLING EASE OF USE.
    Without that it will not be wining races....they don't spend loads of money to make them handle badly..... i'll keep banging my head against this wall...as the sim community as a whole needs to wake up to this...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. apex11

apex11 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  6. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Some people need to admit that adding garbage just for the sake of realism is still garbage. We are sim racers who drive for fun. Sometimes giving up some reality to make it more fun is better. I remember when dirt, bugs and windshield wipers were added to sims for reality. The best mod of that whole season was the one who REMOVED the dirt, bugs and wiper. I took 2 years for the devs to realize that we were not buying $300 video cards to look at dirt and bugs.
    So the number one real item I want in the next patch is a virtual screwdriver to remove the floppy wiper blade from my new 911 GT3R.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Nuggetz

Nuggetz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Never heard of RR before and gave it a go. I mainly race AC. This thread came up when I was researching physics as I’m not sure I want to pay to try the cars I like to drive. So far I’d say the same feels ok thru the wheel and the sounds are really top notch. If this is a beta then why are the cars /tracks so much. When looking at the home page for Raceroom I see all these bulletpoints which include sound but not one for physics so I started searching around. Which cars would you al recommend

8. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    You can try every car in game for free for as long as you want. Just go to the in game store, choose a car and press "test" then you'll be put at raceroom raceway with the selected car. Have a look around but generally speaking the GTR3 and the Porsches have the "newest" physics model. Other good contenders are the newer WTCC 2017, DTM 2016, KTM X-bow, Audi TT, F-US/ F2,F3,F-Jr,FR-X, Tatuus F4, BMW M235, Nsu. But like I said, all cars are free to test before you decide to buy them.

Also as a little side note, which i'm sure you're aware of, when coming from a game (AC in your case) you need to dedicate enough time for your you to adjust to the new and slightly different physics model. Otherwise it's easy to just write it off too early as it will feel off to you. Once you're dialed in i'm sure you'll find Raceroom very enjoyable :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. Matthias Petz

Matthias Petz Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Just make you sure you invest enough time in Settings up graphics to be consistent above 60 fps and get the FFB right for your wheel. I am using a G27 and rebuilt all Settings from scratch as it was just undrivable in Default Settings, this included the profiler Settings, too. Invest this time and feel the adrenaline when driving.

10. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Sector 3 doesn't have a goat simulator.
    It's another company in Sweden that created it.

11. Nuggetz

Nuggetz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Did some more racing and I think this is one of the best sims I’ve driven. AC felt very mushy and dead compared to all the info I was getting thru the wheel when playing RR. One experience I didn’t like was the hill climb track. Seems way too arcadey for some reason. Didn’t spin out once and the grip seemed over the top. Replay was awesome tho.

12. Matthias Petz

Matthias Petz Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    First: yes, it is one of the best sims. Second: it takes time for everyone to realize, because you need to time to get used to and get everything setup correctly.

AC mushy? Not here, check your AC FFB, AC FFB is really good, good as RRRE FFB in my opinion - if it is setup correct which needs a lot of time, especially if you use Logitech Wheels. AC physics is also relatively comparable to RRRE in my humble opinion - but what RRRE is doing absolutely fine is sound, immersion, sense of speed - and this gives (at least me) a real boost of adrenaline when driving. And that's why I do not load AC very often since triple screen is available in R3E.

And regarding spin outs on hillclimb: Congratz, well done. I am still struggling there with the older BMW and spin out from time to time, but it is still something I really like - rushing up the narrow road as fast as possible and getting on the knife's edge with the engine screaming and getting a slight kick in the wheel when shifting gears... should start my gaming system right now or go driving for an hour with our little RS - feels comparable to the hillclimb if pushed hard in S-Mode

13. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    uh?
    if i use gt3 cars in get real, they have always-on abs ? really?

(yes i know real gt3 have abs)

14. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see adjustable ABS settings like we see in some other sims, but it's not a deal breaker for me. There are a couple things I find odd with respect to physics though:

1) it's very hard to spin out these cars. Can i really hammer the throttle mid corner in 2nd and not spin?
    2)why does the AI have the ability to lock up the wheels and create tire smoke but I cannot? do they operate under different physics limitations than we do?

15. Nuggetz

Nuggetz New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What I was trying to say is if you go from one game to another you notice the differences. In RR I feel a lot of things on the wheel and when I switched to AC it was more muted and just different that's all. My main sim is AC and I have my FF dialed in fine.

The sounds in RR are definitely the best I've ever heard and adds a lot to immersion. I think its just as important as FFB.. When I was running the junior formula and was going thru the tunnel and rubbed the wall, I was very impressed by the screech :)

16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    1) what car are you talking about? GT3 cars? they have traction control. you can adjust this or disable it.
    2) again, which car? and you ARE able to lock up wheels even in cars with racing ABS.

17. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I drive the Porsche GT3 as well as the Mclaren 650GT3 the most. I always leave the TC untouched which by default is off.

The ABS. I dunno, i've stomped pretty hard on the pedal and can't seem to lock. Maybe the pedal range isn't right. So you can lock up all four in a straight line?

18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    if you didn't touch TC then it's activated. standard TC setting is 1 and you can look into the car setup what the TC is for preset 1

19. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Nice! learn something new every day. Didn't notice that. I assumed it was off at level 1, but clearly not the case. It does indeed come around a bit with it completely off now. Thanks!

On topic, I would love to have ABS chatter modeled or get some feedback from the tires when its locking up or trying to.

20. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Did you already try a car without ABS in R3E?
    I know that the Porsche GT3 Cup & FR X17 haven't ABS.