Problem car feel like a tank

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by 247, Oct 26, 2022.

1. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    hello, sometimes it happens to me that the car feels like a tank, and i have some difficulties steering

this does not happen on single play but only online and incredibly only on some servers

to give you an example, i may enter the brotherops server and drive a car perfectly fine, then enter the server under and see the car behaving like a tank. If i enter the cockpit view i can perfectly see the wheel steering but the actual car starts to steer only if i really steer completely with my controller (a steam controller by the way)

has anyone experienced this?

2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    what car? any assists? check steering settings in car setup screen (upper right corner)

3. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    no car in particular, even if in those servers full of people you only see free content, in my case anyway i generally take the carlsson clk hillclimb

i'll have a check anyway on what you are suggesting,,,

4. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    also, make sure you dont use any old setup, load default one just in case

5. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    had a try yesterday with the gt3 mustang in a server, car felt more or less like a tank and steering settings were almost normal compared to races where car didn't felt like a tank

will test more but this is the behaviour, with nothing being touched on the setup side...

6. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Make a vid with a lap and inputs and assist and setup screen showed

7. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    i'll see if i can record my screen, don't think my pc is powerful enough anyway...

8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    If you have an nVidia GPU you can use GeForce experience to record videos. It uses GPU to encode video so it barely affects your FPS.

9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    For me , the car drives like a tank isnt a great description
    Does this mean its heavy ?
    Does this mean it does 40 kph ?
    Does it rotate in a circle while destroying the road surface?

Before anything check you are running default setup
    Bind ffb multiplyer up and down keys
    Reset steering ratio and ffb to default

Report back

Andi

10. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    mmm, no i don't have that, running under linux, althought i have an integrated screen recorder, i'll try that

and to answer andi's question, well if having difficulties steering can be considered being in a tank, i guess it's your first option

there are some servers where i need to steer all the way left or right to se my car just steering a little, and the car feels really heavy (a quick note, this does happens only at higher speeds), and some servers where everything is absolutely fine

to give you a clear example, if i'm in cockpit view, i can see the wheel starting to steer but the car just barely steering...

11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Shot in the dark but could be speed sensitive steering or steering sensitivity or even more likely the steering assist help driver aid. I´d suggest as always to try with a keyboard to see if the problem is repeated there or not to rule out a controller fault.

If it does not happen in single player or on leaderboards, then it is most likely to be either an assist that is only on some servers or some sort of input lag issue.

Perhaps you could screenshot the options list for the servers that give problems and those that don´t - the one you see before you click to join it from the lobby.

You could also try doing a hot lap competition at each of the three difficulty levels to see if that makes a difference as then the assists will be on or off by default.

12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Can you give full system specs including controller etc

Andi

13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Another thought I had was whether you are using the stick or buttons to steer. If you remap the steering to other buttons or stick does that change anything?

14. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    i will need to take a screenshot, you are right

my configuration is

intel i5 2400, 8 gb of ram, nvidia geforce gt 530 and i'm playing with a steam controller

just to point out, but i guess this is irrelevant, i'm playing on fedora workstation 36 via proton, but my graphic card isn't compatible with newer protons (from proton 5.10 i guess, on) and raceroom has became compatible from proton 6.xx, so i put all the workload on the cpu, which is capable enough to make me run the game without problems at lowest settings, althought i still think this is irrelevant...

as for the controller, the configuration is actually the default one for the steam controller, i have only remapped some buttons to use pit stops...

15. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like a spec too low to play the game without input lag. Surely in single player with 30 cars it will be the same.

Try my suggestion of using the keyboard and the leaderboard too as there there are no AI cars so it should run the smoothest. A track like Stowe or Watkins Glen is also less demanding on the PC than Sepang.

16. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

i will try your suggestion of course :)

but

althought very old, the i5 2400 is an high end level, and it does happen on the raceroom raceway too, not everytime of course...

EDIT : done two races right now, single player with 34 opponents, at either sepang and donington park, i had no problems at all, despite donington being a little more fluid

had an online race some minutes ago at portimao and the car felt like a tank, done some practice on the usual brotherops server and everything was smooth as butter, unfortunately the integrated video recorder refuses to record raceroom, need to find another way to record it...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  17. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I like the guess about assists. I think you should investigate it first since it doesn't require trying anything unusual. BrotherOps servers have assists at "Free choice" so no wonder it's not affected, same with single player. But you didn't mention which exactly servers cause you this issue.

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    What FPS are you getting in SP and MP modes when the issue occurs? You can see this if you activate it in Steam.

Also how fast is your internet?

19. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I don't think performance is the problem here. Single player with 34 AI is more demanding than multiplayer.

20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I´m struggling to understand how any of that is possible on an eleven year old Gforce 530, which is slower than many intel internal graphics cards.

Anyway as mentioned in my first suggestion, swap the controller for a keyboard and see if that helps. Deleting the controller profile so a default is installed (make a back up first to avoid losing key binds) and making a screenshot of active aids and all controller settings like speed sensitivity would also be helpful.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022