FOV settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metalogic, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I've never really bought into all this bumpf about necessity of perfect true scale FOV. Using 40 inch monitor at 4K resolution I simply set what looks good & feels comfortable and that completely immerses me.

Edit : So I just tried the FoV calc and it gives me 34.5 vFOV as it is 40 inches at about 31.5 inches from my eyeballs as good as I can measure ... but I do not see any way to enter that into RaceRoom settings ? In Race Room I only see measurements +/- 1.0 and I currently have set 1.0 there is no setting I can find relating to vFOV or have I missed it ?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    agreed, "whatever works" :)
    close to the realistic fov (am slightly above it) worked best for me, just love how big the other cars are in screen area. Think it's good to remind people that they should at least try low fovs, if they have the screen area for it. Nothing should be turned into something too religious.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    No that is only one for FoV for the moment in the game ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks, so it looks like this FOV calculator is actually of no use for RRRE because it does not translate into any usable setting. Anyway I tried some settings suggested in this thread from 0.6 which is absolutely terrible as it zooms everything in as if you were driving with a set of binoculars strapped to your head :eek: the monitor would have to be about 3 metres away for me to be able to comfortably use that but it also deletes too much peripheral vision and feels totally unrealistic to me. o_O So this only proves in my mind that this whole thing is purely subjective and everyone will find the most comfortable personal setting for their virtual driving experience.

I did also test 0.7 and then 0.8 which is ok but still too zoomed in or close for some tracks, so now I have settled with 0.9 which looks to be a good comfortable setting that keeps everything in perspective with small peripheral vision. I was on 1.0 so it is a bit more zoomed in but feels good with a larger monitor. Unless I was running 5K super wide resolution I would never zoom into anything lower than about 0.8 on Race Room :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I have been trying a lot of settings for my triple 27" monitors, placed at the back of my Fanatec V2 base.
    I feel most comfortable with 1 - 1.1.
    Even made a wooden frame that matches the outline of my triple set and tried to fit that in my own car to find out what I exactly see in real...
    Seems my settings are about right, but totally different from what FOV calculators want me to believe.
    Last friday I sat (in the pits ;)) in a Lambo GT3, Audi R8 GT3, BMW silhouette car, Z4 GT3 (and drove my friends Nissan GTR around Francorchamps). I did not have my wooden frame with me, but from what I remembered and compared to my game settings, I'm pretty happy with the result.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I'm seat ~ 50 cm from monitors and calculated value is 0.9 for 3x27" displays, not so far from 1-1,1 in my case

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    The calculator is not about calculating your comfortable FOV, but the correct FOV, which is only one and single value for your setup. If you are going to use it is up to you. From my experience I know, at first everything lower than what you are currently used to doesn't feel right. Give it few days driving using lower FOV and you will get used to it and there are chances you start to appreciate it. Also you will be more willing to go even lower, closer to your correct FOV.

It's not always possible to run the correct FOV (actually on a single monitor setup, rarely), but some compromise is always possible to make. For instance, if your correct FOV is like 50 hdeg, using 90 is not a compromise, it's a madness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Sure you can put it whatever feels right for you - 0.5 if that floats your boat.;) I did three races and didn't need any further eye strain to know it was painfully uncomfortable & totally unrealistic.:confused:

Edited : Because I wrongly had Assetto selected so it did not give me the appropriate setting to input for RRRE.:eek:

So I found 0.9 to be correct for me. Forcing yourself to endure a low value despite discomfort because someone has decided it is "correct" is not madness it is plain stupidity ! :cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  9. Stiku

Stiku Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Its' not decided, its calculated.
    And no, it doesn't matter if you believe it or not, its still ain't going to change anything.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you forgot to pick RaceRoom from the "Select Game" drop-down menu. If you don't choose anything, it'll default to Assetto Corsa, where I guess a value like 34.5 is what you'd want. Pick RaceRoom, and it'll give you a value like 0.5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah @Stiku - I disagree with you not dislike you.:p But actually this sort of reasoning is the bumpf I was talking about. Sure it is calculated - it is not a matter of belief or not - I see the physics of it but those who push this often fail to understand that the practical use of it is entirely subjective, due to the physical variations in vision of the individual user. With the exact same hardware, what is "correct" for you will not be same for me. This is very simple but totally overlooked - seeing may be believing but we all see differently - we are not a stock piece of hardware. This argument has been beat to death before on other race forums so sorry if I come off rather curt about it all. ;)

@Supermini - Thanks I did fail to see that - must be my faulty eyeballs ! :D

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  12. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    What I mean, at the "same" FOV setting in the game, the monitor "size" will not matter - a 65" at 1920x1080 and at a 24" at 1920x1080 will both display the same view. Of course it helps to have a the proper size screen relative to your viewing distance. The combination of size and resolution will help provide the proper view, not just size.
    upload_2016-4-19_19-37-15.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  14. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

This is so wrong !!
    You think it the wrong way.

Resolution has NO AFFECT on the FOV. Not at all. Higher Resolution will only give you better image quality, nothing else.
    And your picture prove it: as you can see: the field of view on every picture at different resolutions are IDENTICAL, you don't see wider or further on the edge because the resolution is higher, but you see the difference in image quality.

Picture seems to be bigger because at a fixed pitch higher resolution gives bigger picture.

Once again: calculated FOV is dependent to the SIZE (and Ratio) and the DISTANCE of the screen, nothing else.

If you don't understand it: think about a empty frame.
    Put an empty frame in front of you, and move it back and forth. What do you get ? the further it is the less you'll see trough the frame. Put the frame right under you're nose and guess what: you'll see the entire world trough it. Put it at 10m of you, you'll see only a tiny portion of the world around you ==> this is FOV. This is what you do when you calculate the "ideal FOV". It's like if you put the empty frame on the dashboard of your car, and only drive looking trough it. And it's only a matter of the SIZE of it and the distance you put from your Eye.

Other real life example: glasses. Tiny frames, right behind your eyes. Still no "resolution" here, the bigger the frame of your glasses will be, the wider you'll be able to see through.
    But if in the same time I look at a distant windows, the window may be x meter large, I'll only be able to see a small portion of the world behind. The windows is much larger the my glasses, but much further...

Only size and distance matter :p

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Looking at the three pictures of the rock formation...if each picture had the same FOV the rock formation would be exactly the same size in each picture. In other words the rock formation in the smallest picture would take up most of the "screen" if it had the same FOV as the big picture.

17. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Like sands through the hour glass ... so are the days of our sim racing lives ! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Size, distance and aspect ratio ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Screen height and distance are the only parameters, as R3E uses height as basic dimension for FOV. It says so in the documentation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    well yep ..but if you calculate using Screen size (diagonal) you need aspect ratio to determine screen height ...