FOV settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metalogic, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I'm running R3E at 1080p on a single screen with FOv at 1.0, but can't see the side mirrors at all in most cars, should I change this setting until I can see the side mirrors? What values do most people use for a single 1080p screen? Should I change it so I can at least see most of one of the side mirrors? I am using the virtual mirror in-car too currently.

2. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I have set my FOV to 0.5, calculated as the 'correct' angle, for some time.

Recently I tried to go back to 1.0, for more situational awareness and seeing the apex in sharp corners, but I missed the clearness of little details to locate my breaking points etc., and I felt detached from the track, so I returned to the narrow, but larger vision.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW I'm currently playing the sim on a 15.6" laptop screen, if that makes any difference, so it's not very immersive, though am considering getting a single 24" external screen, if space permits. But this does mean I do value seeing as much of the track forward as possible.

4. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    If you are after 100% correct FOV, this will help you to calculate it: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php.

However, since you are running single monitor (I suppose something like 24-32"), with correct FOV it would feel pretty uncomfortable, so I would suggest for a compromise.

For instance, I'm using 32" single monitor, taking in consideration my distance from the monitor, my correct FOV is 28 deg (vertical / 0.5x in R3E), but my situational awareness wasn't the best with the settings, so I'm using 36 deg / 0.6x, which feels much more comfortable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
  6. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    If i divide half height of monitor by distance, i have ~ 1,25 (27" and 55cm - 21,6" distance). FOV calculator show me 0.5x for RR

7. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Monitor height is 27 x 2.5 cm = 67.5 cm, half height = 34 cm divide by distance 55 cm rounds to 0.6

You forgot to actually halve the height.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Oh, yea, my mistake. Sorry :)

9. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    My simple formula would be exact if your screen was part of a sphere with your eye in the centre, the small difference comes from the large angle effect of a flat surface (difference between tangent and angle), but with such large steps in the setting it is hardly relevant.

10. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The FOV Calculator is for displays 27" and larger. It subtly suggests upgrading if you have a smaller display, before fiddling with FOV. I have a single 21.5" monitor, and set the FOV to 0.9, which just feels better than 1.0 to me. Using a gamepad, I like to have the wheel visible on screen so I can always see how far the car is being steered.

11. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    For 19" and larger
    [​IMG]

12. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    It's in the disclaimer below your results:
    Like I say, subtle. :p

13. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    No, 40" monitor at 1 metre distance is exactly the same as 16" laptop at 40 cm. It is all just geometry.

The formula just makes you see an object on the screen at the same size as in reality from the car (through a window the size and distance of your monitor).

Edit: of course there can be arguments to not use the correct FOV.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  14. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Sure but that close and your eyes will turn into squares! Or whatever my parents told me when I was a kid.

But yeah, I don't mean don't use the FOV Calculator, I just wanted to pass along what it suggests. I didn't like using its recommended setting for me (0.5 IIRC), so I was a bit relieved to see that disclaimer.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Without glasses, my eyes see things at 50 cm as if they were at infinity :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Main problem for me if i use FOV from calculator and single display, i often can't see mirrors even after adjustment seating position. If i use triple monitors, images on the side displays is stretched to much. So i'm a little change the FOV from calculated

17. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Just use the FOV you are OK with, don't feel forced to use the calculated FOV. Use the calculated one as a base and then go back from it in little steps until you are ok.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Yes, i think to do so. For me is better to have FOV in the middle between default and calculated. ~0.7x instead 0.5x looks better with my display

19. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    This. But it is better to use it as close as possible. Braking points and lining your car to apex are far easier. If you like more view to your dash, just use the seat adjustment, that is move the cam :)

20. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I use dash only for first time on the unknowing cars to see RPM limiter, after i'm adopted, better to shift gears aurally. Not very like to use any HUD's, its looks unrealistic for me

• Like Like x 1