OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Windowed mode, I'm not able to change those settings either way.

2. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    All car games or is it just raceroom that is not optimized?

3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    On others it‘s similar, but in raceroom it‘s a bit specific due to the dx9-engine. Others allow higher settings but in assetto for example the overall-looking is IMO still not as good as in R3E with lower settings.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. funkyfelis

funkyfelis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Setting car reflection to Medium fixed it for me! Wow, I never would have thought to try that.

5. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why is it more than 50% of the time, when, after waiting many minutes to get into the VR cockpit, the goddam G25 is NOT responding. I have to quit entire game and restart it and go through entire thing again, only to find G25 wheel actually turning car wheel this time??

Also why has the "Reset VR View" key disappeared and I can't map it to anything now??? (OK I figured out how to remap it - no idea who unmapped it)

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  6. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Setting reflection to medium fixed what? The road shadowing disappearing?

7. geogan

geogan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since this is an old DX9 engine, does that mean this game is more CPU bound, than GPU bound? ie. I thought the old DX9 Futuremark benchmarks are more used to test CPU efficiency than anything these days.

If so, probably means we would get more framerate by replacing our old i7s with a 3 times faster i7 8700K system maybe?

8. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yes and no... R3E is definitely cpu-limited. But switching to a 6-core I7 wouldn‘t help that much. Dx9 is not that good in multithreading and so R3E is relying alot on single-core perfromance.
    But for sure - if you have an intel cpu older than haswell, you can improve the performance. But IMHO an I5 would be enough for gaming as the additional threads of the I7 are rarely used.

9. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yepp that was what he meant. That fixed it for me, too.

10. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I have also been getting this with my g27. Now restarting the game doesn't always work.. Very frustrating. Anyone know a fix for this? It's only happening in VR as far as i've experienced at least.

11. SunnySunday

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Actually no it's not only in VR so doesn't seem to be related. Just haven't played it in NON VR for so long hehe. Can't get the damn thing to respond in game now don't know what the hell. Played a moment ago no problem then when I restarted the game the wheel doesn't work.

12. SunnySunday

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Good old restarting the PC always work :p

13. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Yes same issue in VR. The first time you launch the game the wheel is working fine. But if you restart the game then the wheel is not recognized.

By the way have you tried the NVidia 388.13 drivers? Now even with the mirrors enabled the game runs smoothly.
    But I have to return to 388.00 because of issue I have with PC2.

Could it be a NVidia driver profile for R3E in the 388.13?

14. SunnySunday

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Interesting better check that driver out. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues in PC2 for me.

15. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom freshly installed on my new system, specs below. Settings not optimised, options not tuned, just a quick hop into VR to see whether or not it is there. It is. More button setup and all that stuff is needed and will be done over the coming days.

In AC it works already for me, and I think VR is a blast. Racesims, Google Earth, 360° videos and Subnautica were made for this. :) The techncial compromises there are, get forgitten within the first minute of experiencing it.

BTW, the world of Raceroom looks awesome in VR.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Blimey, nice rig :)

17. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Now tested it more seriously. I made it easy for myself and simply maxed out all graphics. :D VR in RR works, and nicely so, as far as the visual apect is concerned. The interface however needs its ergonomy tuned towards working better in VR, I ciurrentlky owuld not want to make pitstops and refueling during race with that kind of interface. VR, especially in replays, reveals much of what usually is not to be seen in scenery.

I am overwhelmed by this VR stuff anyway, since I got it started, no way I return to racing without VR anymore. It is a bit blurry, yes, but still, the immersion is so many factors higher. And you can so naturally look-to-control the car.

I have VR working in AC and RR now, in AC it works better from an ergonomic point of vie, in Raceroom it looks better (world). Tomorrow I tune Dirt Rally into VR.

Holy creeps, this VR is awesome! :)

P.S. Does the pitstop menu that pops uzp when enetring poitlane, work at all in VR? Mine did not react to any button pushed.

18. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yepp, that is working in VR... But you need to assign buttons to navigate through the menu.

I've assigned buttons for Pit-Request, Confirm and up/down left/right to my wheel... as soon you get used to the positions it works pretty good in VR.
    Pit-Request is needed as you save time during pitstop. Otherwise some waiting-time will be added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    VR is awesome indeed!! :hearteyes:
    And Dirt Rally is a blast in VR! :)

I have no problems doing pit stops in VR, just have buttons assigned for it close to you (on the wheel or just beside). I have button asigned both to the pit request, but also a pit menu toggle, which I can bring up / down on the straights a few laps before my pit stop, if I feel I need to do a change in my pre sets.
    The menu is then set and ready when you go into the pits, and you can just confirm the pit stop.

20. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Buttons? Menu navigation? Get with it lads, just let The Chief do it all for you with the magic macros

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1